Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Humidity is a concern, the driers here are about $20. Best to use topside or silverside, cut with the grain about half an inch thick and three inches wide. Sprinkle with coarse salt, sprinkle with pepper and dried coriander to taste. You can use other spices, chilli etc. if you so wish. Mix brown sugar, water, worcester sauce and sugar (1 part vinegar sugar sauce to 4 parts water) Lay meat evenly in mixture and sprinkle some more salt pepper etc. Leave for 6 hours turn and repeat. Hang meat for approx 10 days or until dry enough for your taste, making sure non of it is touching else it rots. I'm sure the first batch will be a practice run for taste etc. so i wouldnt go too moggy with the meat.

Hi Snow white, thanks for your info, but you have mentioned sugar twice in your marinade, but no vinegar. Do you mean brown vinegar? My last batch of biltong came out a bit too salty so i must be marinating it too long. I have not tried adding sugar to the mixture, but will try it next batch. May your dwarfs live long and prosper.

G

Gurkha

From the Braai Guy...

I make biltong, boerewors and sukhuti. PM me for instructions -

Zimbo

Jun 22, 2016
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help me out with this? Having tried biltong in Perth, (and liking it.... goes better with beer than cheese markit), I would be interested to know if anyone has tried making biltong in Bali. I have noticed in previous threads that someone is making salami, and other cured meats. What is the price of beef in the market in Ubud? Local topside is Rp.95.000,- a kilo in Jakarta. any input would be gratefully accepted.

The answer is YES. first you need a bit of investment in a Biltong Box which can be locally made for about Rp 700 k. You need to fit it with 3 incandescent (40 w) lightbulbs, a computer cooling fan and a glass door. PM me for the plans.
Regarding the recipe for the actual Biltong, there are literally thousands of them on the web. PM me if you want a fool proof recipe
And to all those people who say Biltong is like jerky, they are totally incorrect - Biltong is much better!

Reactions: balinews

Zimbo

Jun 22, 2016
I you make them, ill buy one ;)
I get one of the local 'carpenters' to make the box and do the electrical work myself.
BTW, a fluorescent lamp will not work very well - doesn't give off enough heat to dry the air.
You also need a UV light source to prevent mould.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Well.... the Safi rugby team eat biltong before destroying the Aussies ...... and you put that stinky old mouldy cheese in your mouth that sets off gas alarms ..... :p

there are just a few other things I make apart from biltong ....

Attachments

• 2016-12-27-1216.jpg
    2016-12-27-1216.jpg
    882.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2016-11-04-1060.jpg
    2016-11-04-1060.jpg
    971.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 2016-10-18-1000.jpg
    2016-10-18-1000.jpg
    836.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 6

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Now that I would put in my mouth too! I vote the next Balipod meeting at Joji's house?!

What wood do you use for smoking? I tried with some coffee tree offcuts but the result wasn't in any way coffee like.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Now that I would put in my mouth too! I vote the next Balipod meeting at Joji's house?!

What wood do you use for smoking? I tried with some coffee tree offcuts but the result wasn't in any way coffee like.

Found a guy here in Jakarta selling off his excess stock of woodchips ... (pecan, cherry, apple, hickory, mesquite) .... not cheap ... 150,000 a bag .... but have also used tamarind and guava from local sources here in Jakarta ... (yes am back in Jakarta now ....) ... you can try grape vine cuttings from up north Bali when it is pruning season ....

Zimbo

Jun 22, 2016

Rambutan wood is good

Reactions: Markit