geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
G'Day Happy Australia day to you all especially the expats from Australia.
Australian of the year is ex army chief David Morrison
Great choice a champion of women's equality in the armed forces.
He is already talking about Australia being a republic.

A lots has changed in my 29 years here in this great country.
People play soccer now,its more multicultural,Indigenous people have been given an apology and are getting greater recognition,
Australian TV shows and movies are of a high standard,restaurants are amazing.
Shops used to close at midday on Saturday and reopen Monday,there was only 1 night late shopping(Thursday).
Fashion was 1 year behind and much much more but Australia has come of age.
OK Meat and Vegetables were half the price of the UK now double, everything was cheaper than UK then.

Strewth look at the time ,got to meet me mates this arvo both larikans , bluey and Bruce fair dinkum blokes.
I'm stoked and going down to the boozer to hit the turps,have a few schooners of amber fluid and a bonzer snag sanny and there will be buckleys chance of a blue..
Bloody oath hope I'm not crook tomorrow .

Last edited:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Happy Australia day to all

My eye of Australia only see it as going down the drain, its a sad state
you could buy 8 lollies for a penny, late night shopping is still thursday in Queensland, I think I've seen a good Australian TV show, not sure when, I did see the last Mad Max but someone said it was not made in Australia?
My grandfather was given a gold watch for services in soccer back in the 50s but then Goulburn was a leading city then.
Multicultural ??? was only Greeks & Italians now??? in years to come we will not have Australia day, just Multicultural day
I first seen Indigenous people when I was at a inter school sport event at 14 yrs, when I went to the territory we told not to run over Indigenous people, there we coon bars with cages to look them in so the police could drag them away.
Anyway time to cook some snags and have a drink with my two "Australian" friends and remember what Australia was like when it was Green & Gold.

P

paulseawind

G'Day Happy Australia day to you all especially the expats from Australia.
Australian of the year is ex army chief David Morrison
Great choice a champion of women's equality in the armed forces.
He is already talking about Australia being a republic.

A lots has changed in my 29 years here in this great country.
People play soccer now,its more multicultural,Indigenous people have been given an apology and are getting greater recognition,
Australian TV shows and movies are of a high standard,restaurants are amazing.
Shops used to close at midday on Saturday and reopen Monday,there was only 1 night late shopping(Thursday).
Fashion was 1 year behind and much much more but Australia has come of age.
OK Meat and Vegetables were half the price of the UK now double, everything was cheaper than UK then.

Strewth look at the time ,got to meet me mates this arvo both larikans , bluey and Bruce fair dinkum blokes.
I'm stoked and going down to the boozer to hit the turps,have a few schooners of amber fluid and a bonzer snag sanny and there will be buckleys chance of a blue..
Bloody oath hope I'm not crook tomorrow .

Great post, GD. It's up to your high standard for sure. HAD to you, digger.

I think David Morrison is a bit carried away with the 'romance' of the moment of talking about Australia becoming a republic. And Malcolm has replied 'there are more urgent matters than a Republic. Australia Post is one. And the balz-up of the NBN rollout. Etcetera.

Australia is definitely multi-cultural, as are many other countries. How about the UK: someone responded "Sorry, I am not understanding the question, please".
I am in a suburb of Darwin with a German mate who is 75 now and still as strong as 2 men. My Filipina wife has gone off to work driving her Japanese car to cook lunch and dinner for the Australian and probably American Army soldiers. I am drinking Aussie wine probably developed by a German. I will eat Italian pasta with bolognaise for lunch. There is a little chihuaha running around downstairs. The Australian Open (tennis) is on the box with one commentator saying the judgement of Serena Williams was 'spot on'. The aircon was made in Japan. The 2 avocados I have were grown in Australia, so they will be really good. I am going to see an Indian doctor tomorrow morning.

A snag sanny - the names we give to lots of things here are regional. I'd call it a snag sambo or a sausage sanger. And, it MUST have sauce. If no sauce it means you are a shirt lifter.

If you want to avoid being crook tom a.m., just down 2-3 litres of soda water tonight to flush it all out. Your call, bruss.

I hope your day is great and don't bl**dy drink and drive. Hitch, get a cab or get the missus to pick you up, because I know you will be bending the elbow heaps today with your mates. Forget the grog prices there. Just enjoy it and try to find a grouse sheila and give her the Aussie Salute and hope she doesn't clock you one. That is, a pinch on the bum. Nicole Kidman copped one walking up the stairs onto the boat in the movie 'Australia'.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

paulseawind

Happy Australia day to all

My eye of Australia only see it as going down the drain, its a sad state
you could buy 8 lollies for a penny, late night shopping is still thursday in Queensland, I think I've seen a good Australian TV show, not sure when, I did see the last Mad Max but someone said it was not made in Australia?
My grandfather was given a gold watch for services in soccer back in the 50s but then Goulburn was a leading city then.
Multicultural ??? was only Greeks & Italians now??? in years to come we will not have Australia day, just Multicultural day
I first seen Indigenous people when I was at a inter school sport event at 14 yrs, when I went to the territory we told not to run over Indigenous people, there we coon bars with cages to look them in so the police could drag them away.
Anyway time to cook some snags and have a drink with my two "Australian" friends and remember what Australia was like when it was Green & Gold.

Hey F2 - HAD to you.

Sorry to hear you think Aust is going down the gurgler. In some ways, yes, and I blame the law makers for a certain portion of that, with their social meddling. I have become de-sensitised to the ways here but it, to me, is one of the best places to live. After 20+ years in Darwin I have developed a patriotism to the life style.

"Multicultural ??? was only Greeks & Italians now???"
Check out Darwin. It is one third Asian. Loads of Chinese and from Philippines.
Besides, Greeks have strong family vales and make great food and the Italians, well, their family values and cuisine are awesome.

Indigenous: well, they have issue which are Health, Wealth and Education. Big things to come out of the bush and have to deal with. The indigenous who come into town and live in the parks, some are no good but I have spoken to many of them and they are quite OK, just off their faces on drugs and grog. I did a job for SAPOL (SA Police) some years ago and one of the guys I got to know ha done his time out in the communities. Me being me, I made some remark and he, very gently, had a word with me. He said if you were out in the bush and got lost and they found you that it would be one of the luckiest days of your life. They'd look after you, care for you, and take you back to your town or similar. I never forgot that. And, a mate who is a retired Judge said he had to visit a community for a matter to learn about them and they took him on and by the end of the week he had learned a LOT, had his face painted and had learned a genuine respect for those people. Not everyone's cup of tea, sure, but when you hear him talk about it you can't help but go along for the fantastic ride. The indigenous do get called coons but that's life.

I remember when you got 8 lollies for a penny. When I was a kid. And I remember when s*x was safe and flying was dangerous.