Governor Of Bali Formally Bans Tourists Hiring Mopeds Directly From Locals

What chance does this have?

• All onboard, happy car driving days ahead.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Someone pulls out of their garage on July 23rd and all traffic on Bali comes to a full halt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I may have been unfair but reading the recent initiatives of the governor make me a little nervous. We were last In Bali just before covid and it was heaving then. Last winter I did spend a week cycling around Yogya villages which was very quiet. Also a month in Sri Lankan beach towns which were absolutely over run with young Russians and sometimes difficult to even find a menu which wasn't in Cyrillic.
Clearly everyone is entitled to their fun but in our later years my wife and I are more focused on finding a quiet bolt hole where we can have a relaxed sociable time at least during the winter months. It's a long time since Kuta, or Ubud offered that but I had hoped that Sanur might still be a bit of a backwater and Indonesia now seems to be opening more visa options.
As I said, we shall see, as we plan to give it a try towards the end of this year.
At least the comments from residents across this forum suggest that a more settled community still exists.
Go East young man! East Bali around Candi Dasa or Amlapura - there's quite a few expats and almost no tourists in Jasri, just before Amlapura.

It's so laid back we bang our head on the backs of our sandals (while wearing them) .

Reactions: sakumabali

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
I have to say that having known and enjoyed Bali off and on for over 40 years, one of my main concerns regarding the possibility of spending retirement years, is that while a few drunk Aussies were always a drawback, increased numbers and now apparently matching hordes of Russians make me wonder if it remains a feasible option.
Anyway we intend to give Sanur a try for a month or so, this winter and see how it goes.
Just stay away from the main tourist areas (especially Canggu and Ubud proper) and you're fine mine. I live 15 minutes outside of Canggu and have no problems with Russians or drunk aussies. If I get bored and want a taste of the chaos, I can pop into town for a taste of the "social life." More often than not though I find the quiet village life provides everything i need

Reactions: sakumabali

Andy Capp

Jun 7, 2023
Go East young man! East Bali around Candi Dasa or Amlapura - there's quite a few expats and almost no tourists in Jasri, just before Amlapura.

It's so laid back we bang our head on the backs of our sandals (while wearing them) .
I looked up Jasri which is probably great for surfers. I last surfed at Sennen Cove in early 70s! Been keeping half an eye on Bali since before covid but recent visits just stop overs for couple of days close to airport while en route to Australia. Years since I was in Sanur
Recent changes to visas and health provision make us think more seriously but what we would really like is a retirement complex. Over the years I have seen many rumoured/proposed but nothing seems to materialise.
Our only family is in Australia and so proximity is one of the attractions for us. That and a cupboard full of old HHH t-shirts.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I am no advocate for living in Sanur but from other posts it would seem there are retired expats who have chosen to live in large villa complexes which offer good facilities and handy for various services. Not exactly a surfing area but you might look at some of the accommodation options on line.