balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Manpower Minister Hanif Dhakiri said the government will raise requirements on foreigners working in Indonesia in order ensure more jobs available to local workers.

The Manpower Ministry is preparing a regulation that will, among other things, limit the type of jobs available to foreign workers and require potential workers to speak Bahasa Indonesia, Hanif said on Saturday.

Hanif noted there were many foreign workers who enter Indonesia without proper permits.

The minister, however, did not address concerns over closing the skill gap between local and foreign workers.

Ministry to Limit Foreign Workers Entering Country - The Jakarta Globe

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I'd say this government just woke up to the fact they have signed to join AEC at the end of this year....this opens all participants to the free transfer of certain groups of labor. Indonesia cannot compete so is trying to create barriers ahead of time. It's to protect themselves against other ASEAN Nationals.

G

Gurkha

Actually, it will do a lot of damage! Consider the following scenario. The local company for which I work is planning to move to Malaysia or the Phillipines 'cos they CANNOT find good local middle managers or even tradesmen! No chance of hiring a local Senior Exec.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
LG today announced its shifting its entire TV production from Thailand and Indonesian to Vietnam. It says that not only the cost of business necessitates this move but so does local quality and logisics.
With so many permits needed to do anything in RI and the transportation difficulties...then the time at the docks....I'm not surprised.

Indonesia needs trained International managers.....not exclude them.