balinews

Feb 14, 2010
The government has signaled that it may allow dual citizenship in the future, considering the growing role of the Indonesian diaspora, which could benefit the country, a top minister says.

Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Luhut Pandjaitan said the country should pay more attention and provide better opportunities to its citizens abroad, those who had settled overseas, to return to Indonesia and fulfill their ambitions to develop Indonesia from within.

"Don't argue over regulations that we can still amend. What's more important is that we have the best Indonesians working with future generations to make our country better," Luhut said on Wednesday.

The statement follows the controversy surrounding former energy and mineral resources minister Arcandra Tahar, who was recently dismissed by President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo from his position for allegedly holding dual US-Indonesian citizenship.

There are many Indonesians living abroad in the US, European countries, as well as Australia, who would like to come back to contribute for the benefit of the country, Luhut said, adding that 24 Indonesian professors had settled down in the US, but had expressed interest in returning to the country.

Govt shows signs that it may allow dual citizenship - The Jakarta Post

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The government has signaled that it may allow dual citizenship in the future, considering the growing role of the Indonesian diaspora, which could benefit the country, a top minister says.

Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Luhut Pandjaitan said the country should pay more attention and provide better opportunities to its citizens abroad, those who had settled overseas, to return to Indonesia and fulfill their ambitions to develop Indonesia from within.

"Don't argue over regulations that we can still amend. What's more important is that we have the best Indonesians working with future generations to make our country better," Luhut said on Wednesday.

The statement follows the controversy surrounding former energy and mineral resources minister Arcandra Tahar, who was recently dismissed by President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo from his position for allegedly holding dual US-Indonesian citizenship.

There are many Indonesians living abroad in the US, European countries, as well as Australia, who would like to come back to contribute for the benefit of the country, Luhut said, adding that 24 Indonesian professors had settled down in the US, but had expressed interest in returning to the country.

Govt shows signs that it may allow dual citizenship - The Jakarta Post

That has me ROFLMAO...this is what was said almost exactly 3 years ago.....Indonesia seeing '€˜positive'€™ signs on dual citizenship - The Jakarta Post

davita

Mar 13, 2012
More good news in today's Jakpost below.

The amount of recent media attention has, at last, spurred attention and hopefully some action. I'm afraid, however, a typical Indonesian solution will be discrimination. I can see the legislators eyeing the wealthy diaspora for selected dual-citizenship...at a price, and struggling to be on the selection committee; leaving all other ex-WNI in the same situation as current.... :greedy_dollars:

Some years ago the Philippines did the same, but gave dual-citizenship to all. The economy flourished as many Filipinos returned with their foreign currency savings.

"In October last year, President Jokowi told Indonesians in the US during a meeting at the residence of Indonesian ambassador to the US Budi Bowoleksono that he would back efforts to allow dual nationality. But neither the government nor the House had followed up on Jokowi’s pledge until the controversy erupted over Arcandra’s appointment as a minister in the latest Cabinet reshuffle.
The bill containing revisions to the 2006 Citizenship Law has been included on the long-list of the 2014/2019 National Legislation Program (Prolegnas), but the House has not started its deliberation as it is waiting for the government’s initiative.
House Speaker Ade Komarudin of the Golkar Party said the House would likely revise the Prolegnas list and drop bills that were not urgently needed to make room for the discussion on the citizenship bill, even though he had not yet talked about it with the President."

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
There`s an article in the Globe which says Arcandra could have his citizenship restored as early as next week,i

davita

Mar 13, 2012
There`s an article in the Globe which says Arcandra could have his citizenship restored as early as next week,i

I read, on another forum, where this is possible by Presidential decree. You'd think that could have been done in the first place and avoided the fracas...
What is of interest is if he renounces his US citizenship. The Globe article refers to him being stateless now as he automatically lost his US Citizenship due accepting the job as RI's Minister of Energy but that doesn't comport with what I read is US law on that subject...it isn't automatic nor immediate.

Last edited:

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Good point ,why didn`t they handle it that way in the beginning,i have a feeling there is no unity within the government there,seems like there are those who would discover something like Arcandra`s citizenship situation and use it against the president instead of notifying him of it in the first place,

What is Us law or regulations on things like this,

If you remember back when John Kerry was running for president,his wife is South African,so im pretty sure she would have had dual citizenship ,wonder how that would have went if he had won,

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Why would you do that? He fluffed it when he made the move into the RI ministry, IMO. What a silly sosis. (Am I reading this correctly?)

I've no idea if that's his desire but, given his situation, there are 2 reasons why he may be obliged to do so.

1. Indonesia doesn't permit dual-citizenship.
2. USA can relinquish citizenship if that person takes a position of policy-making in the Government of another country.

Edit: Unless there is an open investigation we can only speculate. He may have been told that his citizenship was not a problem. The President may not have been informed. Someone simply did not do due diligence in screening...etc.
What pisses most people was the reaction by him trying to deny then trying to cover-up with his pathetic story of looking and speaking Padang.
Also, grinning from ear to ear after learning of his wrong doing...why do Indonesian think that's smart...I noticed all those jailed for corruption grin when being handcuffed and jailed.

I believe this situation about ex WNI being offered dual-citizenship should be addressed. I also believe that Arcandra should be re-instated under a Presidential decree, if he so desires, as he clearly is well qualified and could be an asset to Indonesia.

I also believe his US citizenship will not be rescinded as it isn't in USA's interest. If someone of dual-USA citizenship became N. Korea's Minister for Nuclear Development...that may be reason to rescind.

Last edited: