Gotta Love this Country!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Jakarta Post, 24, December, 2002:

Expatriates must speak Indonesian, says minister

JAKARTA (JP): The Minister of Manpower and Transmigration Jacob Nuwa Wea said on Monday that the government was considering drafting laws requiring expatriates to speak Indonesian, Antara reported.

He expected the regulation could be endorsed in the upcoming free-trade era in 2004.

"I will do my best (to endorse the draft) so all expatriates in the country could master Bahasa Indonesia in a bid to improve understanding with local workers," Jacob said

He argued that several countries, such as Saudi Arabia, required foreign workers, including Indonesians, to master Arabic.

Expatriates in the country mostly work for foreign-based companies. Only several master Indonesians.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ringo

Gotta Love Holland

Mastering Bahasa Belanda for expats (foreign workers) in Holland has also been made obligatory some time ago - that all within the scope of 'naturalization'.

Lucky it is easier (for foreigners) to learn Indonesian than the Dutch language :D

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
VOC and the "Dutch"

No offense Robbie, but I am not surprised. In the end, why the dickens would any self respecting Indonesian want to move to Holland anyway? :shock:

Ringo

Re: VOC and the "Dutch"

Roy said:
No offense Robbie, but I am not surprised. In the end, why the dickens would any self respecting Indonesian want to move to Holland anyway? :shock:

You'd be surprised how many Indonesian live in Holland, the City of The Hague being their most important 'enclave'.

Lonny Garungan is the most famous 'Dutch Balinese', married to a Dutch lady. He used to have a Balinese restaurant in Amsterdam, and right now he has an Indonesian cooking series on Dutch tele, a.o. regularly 'shots' made in Bali. Garuda's food also 'comes from his kitchen'.

But the majority of the foreign workers in Holland are of Turkish, Marrocan, Surinam or Eastern European origin (not to mention the many Chinese - even Rotterdam has its Chinatown).

juskiff

Nov 15, 2002
Tampaksiring, Bali
Houston we have a problem...

My partner Jeff has been living in Indonesia (off and on) for the past 8 years... and he is trying hard (not hard enough though) to learn the Bahasa... Needless to say, he hasn't been making much progress... If and when the Govt. implemented the new law, I guess I'll have to give him a crash course in Bahasa Indonesia.... My questions is, Jeff is not too fond of Indonesia Food, do you think the Govt. will make it a requirement for all expat to eat Indonesian food???? Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Confuse in Los Angeles

Ringo

Space Control to Major Augie

juskiff said:
.... My questions is, Jeff is not too fond of Indonesia Food, do you think the Govt. will make it a requirement for all expat to eat Indonesian food???? Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Confuse in Los Angeles

Tell Jeff not to worry!

There are rumours that expats will be obliged to buy Indonesian food but so far as I know there are no rumours yet that there also will be 'eat control' :wink: :roll:

I'm fond of nasi campur with a Balinese degree of 'hotness', but your pastas are delicious as well!

Again, I feel like a dog in a Pavlov test :lol:

Cheers

Gloria

Nov 5, 2002
Bahasa Indonesia

What about Bahasa Bali ? Don,t worry Jeff...we're in the same boat...I only speak Bahasa Campur...and eat anything...where or how will they categorise me/us.....Who will do the testing?...and who in the Government speaks enough fluent English to be a tester? or Bahasa Bali come to that...and also will they bend the rules as in everything else? I for one am not going to lose any sleep about this one...'spose there is always corruption to fall back on.....G.....

Lothar

Nov 16, 2002
Malaysia
actually I think

that it's a very good demand to be made by any government. Implementation is a bit...impossible though. No worries therefore, it's political crackle.