Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Hello Bali expats:

We will be in North America during September, returning 23 Sept. Upon return, Generally we intend to stay in Bali up to next August but likely we'll go somewhere out of Indo during that time.

I (Bill) will stay in Indonesia for at least 3 months, but much of this time not in Bali, rather diving off-island in Sulawesi, Sorong, and Maluku islands.

Emily will stay in Indo for about a month (with me in Sulawesi), then she will go to the Philippines for a month (while I go off diving with a buddy). When she returns she will stay in Indo for 3 - 6 months.

What type of Visas should we get, and how do we do it?

Yani helped us most recently, but getting fingerprinted every month isn't possible if we're going to travel around, nor is going to Singapore for a visa run.

Thank you so much AGAIN. Maybe one day I will get this visa thing figured out.

Bill & Emily

N.B. Funny story: You gotta love Indonesia. I choose a hotel for a six hour layover in Makassar on Sulawesi (between two two-hour flights) it is booked. I send email to the reservations center, they suggest a hotel in the same chain in Medan. Upon checking, I learn that Medan is ... uhhhh.. on SUMATRA! A mere 2000 km away!!! Hello?!?

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Can someone please explain what this means to my poor Western brain?

I *think* What it means is:

1) I can get a 60 day visa at the Indo embassy in SF.

2) I apply for the social / cultural visa at the NA embassy. It can be extended four times, at the Immigration Office in Bali, the first time we have to get fingerprinted. (Do we have to go to the embassy every time, then?). And I understand from you guys that if you have the social visa, if you leave the country it becomes invalid. What, then, is the best long-term visa to get - or you you essentially have to go to immigration every month to renew? Ugh.

3) My driver can be the sponsor.

4) Previously she had mentioned something about Singapore for the social / cultural visa, and I have seen people on this board say that's the "only" or at least the best way. That leaves me wondering if indeed I can get the social cultural visa in San Francisco.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

Re. holding social cultural visa – please then collect its visa code 211 at Indonesian Embassy in North America (where is it).
Normally Indonesian Embassy would offer 60days visit.

By providing a sponsorship (Indonesian holds ID-card for Bali) – visa 211 is 4x extendable in monthly basis at Immigration Office in Bali.

The request for its extension better be made around 2 (two) weeks before visa due and Immigration Office enquiry :
a. original passport
b. copy ID-card of a sponsorship
c. application letter by a sponsorship for requesting visa extension
d. pay the fee to Immigration Office.
should need assistance Bali Ide for extending its visa the cost is IDR. 1,000,000/person/30days (excludes a sponsorship).
e. Immigration Office will provide application forms.

Note : the 1st extension visa – that the applicants enquiry to do finger-prints at Immigration Office.

Re. sponsorship – you may ask your driver OR owner of villa OR anyone – so far they are holding ID-card for Bali.
Accordingly visa extension may only be extended at Immigration Office in Bali.

Good luck,
Yani

davita

Mar 13, 2012
OK I'll try...

1. A single-entry Sosbud is applied for and issued by an Indonesian Embassy/Consul (RI) nearest where you are abroad. i.e. San Francisco RI Consulate. Open up the San Francisco RI Immigration web-site to see requirements.
2. Once issued you have 90 days to enter Indonesia otherwise it becomes invalid.
3. It requires a sponsor from Indonesia who can be a friend/relative or an agent for a fee....anyone with an Indonesian ID.
4. Once entered it is valid for 60 days.
5. It can be extended in the local Immigration office in RI, where the sponsor resides, for a further 30 days each, to a max of 180 days total (4 visits). It requires the applicant to attend those extension applications each visit. Normally the sponsor is not required.
N.B. I've heard of some who leave their passport with an agent who does the extensions whilst the applicant is travelling within Indonesia. Ask the agent.
6. If exiting Indonesia at any time the Sosbud becomes invalid and a new visa required to re-enter RI.

Once exited most go to Singapore or KL to get either another Sosbud and repeat 1. to 6. above...or, immediately return and pay US$35 for a VOA for 30 days and apply for another 30 day extension (US$35) then leave again....and repeat.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Funny story: You gotta love Indonesia. I choose a hotel for a six hour layover in Makassar on Sulawesi (between two two-hour flights) it is booked. I send email to the reservations center, they suggest a hotel in the same chain in Medan. Upon checking, I learn that Medan is ... uhhhh.. on SUMATRA! A mere 2000 km away!!! Hello?!?
Hello indeed! A while back, I put an ad in a local newspaper looking for a property to lease in Sanur. I got calls from North Bali and even the island of Lombok, neither of which are anywhere near Sanur.
After many years of living here, your experience doesn't surprise me at all. One gets used to it.

1) I can get a 60 day visa at the Indo embassy in SF.
Yes - it's a tourist visa and can't be extended within Indonesia. Once it's nearly expired, you have to leave the country and get another one.

2) I apply for the social / cultural visa at the NA embassy. It can be extended four times, at the Immigration Office in Bali, the first time we have to get fingerprinted. (Do we have to go to the embassy every time, then?). And I understand from you guys that if you have the social visa, if you leave the country it becomes invalid. What, then, is the best long-term visa to get - or you you essentially have to go to immigration every month to renew? Ugh.
You can apply for a Sosbud outside of Indonesia, but will need a local sponsor. The sponsor needs to write a letter stating that you're a friend, and takes responsibility for your behaviour during your stay. Also provide a copy of his/her local ID (KTP).
Your initial Sosbud is valid for 60 days. You usually get fingerprinted/photographed when you apply for your first monthly extension, but not the next ones.
A Sosbud expires if you leave the country. Some people claim it's possible to get a multiple-entry Sosbud - I don't know if that's true.

The "best long-term visa" is a KITAS, if you've got a job here or retired (55+ years old). Probably not an option for you at present. The "easiest" way to stay here longer is to leave the country and re-enter on another 60 day tourist visa. But, some overseas missions might question you, get suspicious, etc. Singapore is usually the best of the lot, or even Darwin (Australia).

3) My driver can be the sponsor. Yes, if he agrees.

4) Previously she had mentioned something about Singapore for the social / cultural visa, and I have seen people on this board say that's the "only" or at least the best way. That leaves me wondering if indeed I can get the social cultural visa in San Francisco.

You can get a Sosbud in the USA if you have a sponsor here. If you're already in Bali and want a Sosbud, you have to leave the country to pick it up after it's approved.
Silly, I know, but that's how it is. Singapore was mentioned because that's where most people go to collect it, often in a one-day turnaround, if you use an agent in Singapore.
Costs a bit more but saves you the hassle of going to the embassy. Agent picks up your papers, does everything and brings it back to you the same day.

All the best.

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Both of these were really helpful! Thank you both again.

Would anyone like to recommend an agent in Singapore? We might very well want to try the option to hand everything to an agent,, let them do thew work while we enjoy Singapore -- depending on price.

Thanks,

Bill & EMily

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Just to clarify a couple of points to Johnny's otherwise great explanation.

1. We are talking about a Social Budaya visa (Sosbud). A Tourist Visa is different, but here's the thing, a Tourist Visa is applied in the RI Embassy/Consul same as a Sosbud. It is only for 60 days and NOT extendible but it doesn't need a sponsor. In Bali, either because they choose to ignore or because they're unaware because a Sosbud and Tourist visa have the same 211 number (I believe the former)... it is possible to have it extended, without leaving, if a sponsor is provided for those extensions.
I suggest, if you have difficulty finding a sponsor in Bali when you're currently in USA, this may be a good way to arrive and sort out a sponsor to help...including an agent, in those first 60 days. You can interview a whole number of agents for prices and suitability.

2. A multi-entry Sosbud is available and again you should ask an agent when you are here...trying to do all this from California is difficult.
A multi-entry Sosbud is issued for one year by telex to an overseas RI Embassy/Consul of your choice i.e. Singapore or KL.... and allows exit and re-entry multi times. The restriction is you HAVE to leave within every 60 days. I had one for a couple of years but found this trip every 60 days a pain.

3. Sorry but I cannot recall the name of the agent we used in Singapore but if you get there early in the morning it can be done same day and fly back, with duty-free booze that same night. Maybe others can advise on the Singapore agents they are widely used...there must have been 10 people in the office when I went... all getting visas to enter Indonesia.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
There are several agents in Singapore (Ismail, Mr Malik, Mohammed, etc).
I don't have their current contact details but if Bill searches through the archives here (search for "Singapore"), he'll find them.
The next step would be to telephone and make sure they're still there.

Even by using an agent, the agent will still require a copy of the sponsor's invitation letter to be able to proceed.