KCOJ

May 1, 2015
Just moved to Bali a week or two back and looking for bars that sell good ales (as opposed to lagers).

So far I’ve come across Cat and Fiddle, and Wicked Parrot … both in Sanur, also Echo Beach Bar … all three (as well as I think, Plumbers Arms) have draught Kilkenny but that’s all. I’m guessing this is an Indonesian tariff issue?

Please don’t tell me that I’ve just moved here and will have to console myself with Anker Stout for 2-3 years. Is there any chance of finding even a bottle of Fullers anywhere?

If Kilkenny is all I’m likely to find, I’d appreciate it if anyone knows other pubs that serve it.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I've checked my inbox and Davita I'm sorry to say I can't find my invite anywhere?!

Sorry about that...it must be in the same e-card inbox where I received many pictures of gifts like a sailboat, Porsche, Rolex, jewelry, crates of champagne and many boxes tied with ribbon...sadly, none of those turned up either....:grumpy:
I'm blaming the mail man.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Just moved to Bali a week or two back and looking for bars that sell good ales (as opposed to lagers).

So far I’ve come across Cat and Fiddle, and Wicked Parrot … both in Sanur, also Echo Beach Bar … all three (as well as I think, Plumbers Arms) have draught Kilkenny but that’s all. I’m guessing this is an Indonesian tariff issue?

Please don’t tell me that I’ve just moved here and will have to console myself with Anker Stout for 2-3 years. Is there any chance of finding even a bottle of Fullers anywhere?

If Kilkenny is all I’m likely to find, I’d appreciate it if anyone knows other pubs that serve it.

Plumbers arms in Kerobokan for sure has draft Kilkenny. Co-incidentally, it has the same owner as Echo Beach bar and Scallywags on Gili Lembongan but not been there.They also have Guiness on tap and some German brew which I've never tried. I'll check what they have and get back as I might go to Plumbers soon for their liver, bacon, gravy and mash lunch, washed down with a pint of Kilkennys or a gallon of Bintang.....yummy.

Kilkennys and Guiness are pricy compared to Bintang, Heinekins and Anker etc.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Plumbers arms in Kerobokan for sure has draft Kilkenny. Co-incidentally, it has the same owner as Echo Beach bar and Scallywags on Gili Lembongan but not been there.They also have Guiness on tap and some German brew which I've never tried. I'll check what they have and get back as I might go to Plumbers soon for their liver, bacon, gravy and mash lunch, washed down with a pint of Kilkennys or a gallon of Bintang.....yummy.

Kilkennys and Guiness are pricy compared to Bintang, Heinekins and Anker etc.
Didn't the above-mentioned menu get confused with post about the English chef? You mean you can live to age 78 eating this stuff?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
You mean you can live to age 78 eating this stuff?

Living proof my friend 78+1 day and just lunched again on delicious liver, bacon, gravy and mashed potatoes (Rp50) swilled down with a large cold Bintang (Rp45) then a walk home...swearing at dogs.

So can confirm...Plumbers has draft Heinekins (Rp50/pint), Draft Kilkenny Red (Rp75/pint) and draft Guinness (Rp80/pint). The German thing looks like draft is not beer...its jagarmeister or something. There are 3 bottles on top but goes thru a cold machine and served as shots...or in combination with Red Bull. Sort of thing I believe those SS must have drunk before pulling all those Jews gold teeth then telling them to clean up in the shower.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Happy Birthday Davita! Being of Scots-Irish/German ancestry myself I had to eat those deplorable items you mentioned as a child (or when parents ignored) shuffled it off to the ever waiting dog and existed on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. What is difficult to understand is how you could have lived so long in that foodie paradise of Vancouver and still be uninfluenced by the appeal of really amazing Asian food! Imho Vancouver beats the socks off Singapore in Chinese cuisine. Now waiting for thunder to strike!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
No Davita that's what the Canadian's used to drink before passing out the smallpox blankets to the Indians.

You need to check facts before posting dribble....

Smallpox was brought to Mexico by the Spaniards in 1520. On each occasion it occurred in epidemic form, with extremely high mortality among Aboriginal peoples who, in epidemiological terms, were 'virgin soil'. Smallpox reached Massachusetts in 1633 and the St Lawrence River in both 1635, and 1669 to 1670. The 1702 epidemic reached as far west as Sault Sainte Marie and the 1736 to 1738 epidemic extended to Lake of the Woods, at the south-east corner of present day Manitoba (1). In the present article, we share our assessment of the first recorded smallpox epidemic on the western plains in 1780 and 1781, and its chroniclers, William Tomison and Matthew Cocking. Their conduct was exemplary, because in other parts of the Americas the response of white 'civilization' to smallpox epidemics in native communities was sometimes less than charitable. Indeed, early examples of the use of smallpox as a biological weapon through the distribution of infected blankets have been reported.

Note the Canadian's conduct was considered exemplary.

Jagermeister wasn't introduced in Germany till 1935 but probably completely tested by the Gestapos before the Jews were put on trains from Poland to the camps....

Jägermeister - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

davita

Mar 13, 2012
What makes your drivel (not dribble, that's what's running down your chin) more competent than my drivel?

Quote from Merriam Webster....
Full Definition of DRIVEL
intransitive verb
: to let saliva dribble from the mouth : slaver

Related to DRIVEL
Synonyms
dribble, drool, salivate, slaver, slobber

Making my point...I quote from authoratative publications...you don't.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
We could probably quote internet sources at each other all night:

"The first disruption of our people," says Bob Campbell, "came from disease. The early smallpox epidemics may have been accidental, but then Hudson Bay traders brought diseased blankets and our people died from typhoid and tuberculosis. Pure and simple, it was genocide. The trading companies paid a bounty for indigenous people's scalps and genitals." Back from Extinction | The Tyee

My point really had only marginally to do with you Kanakan wiping out your redskins I simply object to your using an horrific genocide perpetrated by a group of psychotics that directly or indirectly was responsible for the horrible deaths of -/+ 40 million people being used for making a very stupid "joke" about a drink.

"Sort of thing I believe those SS must have drunk before pulling all those Jews gold teeth then telling them to clean up in the shower."

This is offensive on so many levels it doesn't even need mentioning really but I think that your OTT defense shows that you may have actually grasped that but I just need to make sure...

davita

Mar 13, 2012
We could probably quote internet sources at each other all night:

"The first disruption of our people," says Bob Campbell, "came from disease. The early smallpox epidemics may have been accidental, but then Hudson Bay traders brought diseased blankets and our people died from typhoid and tuberculosis. Pure and simple, it was genocide. The trading companies paid a bounty for indigenous people's scalps and genitals." Back from Extinction | The Tyee

My point really had only marginally to do with you Kanakan wiping out your redskins I simply object to your using an horrific genocide perpetrated by a group of psychotics that directly or indirectly was responsible for the horrible deaths of -/+ 40 million people being used for making a very stupid "joke" about a drink.

"Sort of thing I believe those SS must have drunk before pulling all those Jews gold teeth then telling them to clean up in the shower."

This is offensive on so many levels it doesn't even need mentioning really but I think that your OTT defense shows that you may have actually grasped that but I just need to make sure...

You have the audacity to say I'm offensive and yet you respond that 'you Kanakan wiping out your redskins'.... implying I had something to do with it. I didn't arrive in Canada 'till 1990.
Did I imply you had anything to do with with Jewish extermination in Germany between 1939 and 1945?
It was not a joke...my suggestion was all those people must have gotten drunk to do what they did and Jagermeister, according to my source, was the drink of choice then.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Happy Birthday Davita! Being of Scots-Irish/German ancestry myself I had to eat those deplorable items you mentioned as a child (or when parents ignored) shuffled it off to the ever waiting dog and existed on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. What is difficult to understand is how you could have lived so long in that foodie paradise of Vancouver and still be uninfluenced by the appeal of really amazing Asian food! Imho Vancouver beats the socks off Singapore in Chinese cuisine. Now waiting for thunder to strike!

As a kid, during the war in UK, I lived mostly in an Anderson air-raid shelter and eat tripe and horse meat...:icon_eek: so you can tell my palate was not very well trained in gourmet food.
As my adult liviing has been in Malaysia, Hong Kong, Canada and now Indonesia I'm getting better...but you are correct, Vancouver is so cosmopolitan that food is excellent and, with so many Chinese there and fresh seafood and meat so available, it probably does rival Singapore...I've heard Chinese people say it rivals food back in China.
Problem now is price...I can buy my whole in-law family a lunch in Jakarta or Bali what it costs for just one person in Vancouver.

KCOJ

May 1, 2015
OK I realise I’m new here but as the OP I was still kinda hoping that I might have got a few answers relevant to the post rather than a rant about Canadians, smallpox and the holocaust.

There is this beer here I like to drink. It is called Bintang.

Hope this helps
Most helpful Rangi, thanks so much

Fire Station in Sanur has Kilkennys advertised on their blackboard and they do various other beers as well.
Checked that one out Dick, but only small bottles … no draught ... same with Leffe Blond

So it seems that for Kilkenny/Guiness we have Cat and Fiddle, Wicked Parrot, Echo Beach Bar and Plumbers Arms.

Any advance on this?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
OK I realise I’m new here but as the OP I was still kinda hoping that I might have got a few answers relevant to the post rather than a rant about Canadians, smallpox and the holocaust.
Any advance on this?

I checked back KCOJ and see I've been remiss by not welcoming you ..so, welcome to the forum.

I would suggest, as there has been minimum positive response to your OP question, that what you have is all there is as far as regular contributors are aware. In my experience members here are overwilling to offer best advice...particularly regarding such serious issues as BEER.
Maybe one of the tourist guide websites, or tripadvisor, may bring out some better info. I checked the Bali Advertiser and others but found nothing.
If you find anything on your travels please let us all know and we'll all be wiser.

As for Rangi's response of promoting Bintang's availability in Bali...I think his tongue was in his cheek and his Bintang was really cold...:cupcake: