German expat and Indonesian wife jailed for property scam

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
I know both of them as I had two properties nearby their place in Pekutatan on the beach. I don't know what has happened but both are nice people.

Last edited:

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Well I guess this has to be looked at from both sides. Obviously if they spent the 8.5 M for a plot in NZ than they're on the wrong side...
Hard to argue differently. I haven't seen them for a couple of years. Looks like some deal went terribly wrong. What I'm asking myself, here in Indonesia, you still owe the demanders the 8.5 AFTER you served your jail sentence? I have sometime the feeling (can't give any details) that you kinda "keep it" afterwards?
I mean 8.5 M and 3 years inside....

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Be careful with your zeros sakumabali it's 8.5 billion or $850, 000 OZ divided by 7 for the years they're gonna do comes out at $120k/year. Not so brill to spend your life in Hotel K methinks?! And there isn't a court in the world that can order your goodies sold in another country to pay for your fine/compensation here. They could go after the stuff here though...?

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
As I understand it, only the criminal case has been decided so far. No doubt there will be a civil lawsuit filed by the aggrieved parties which they will likely win, given that criminal standards of proof are typically higher than civil ones. In this event, I can foresee the Bali property being seized to satisfy the judgment. Yes, the 8.5 billion in NZ is likely difficult (though not impossible) to reach, but the forced liquidation of the Bali property is certainly fair game to pay the eventual civil judgment.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
As I understand it, only the criminal case has been decided so far. No doubt there will be a civil lawsuit filed by the aggrieved parties which they will likely win, given that criminal standards of proof are typically higher than civil ones. In this event, I can foresee the Bali property being seized to satisfy the judgment. Yes, the 8.5 billion in NZ is likely difficult (though not impossible) to reach, but the forced liquidation of the Bali property is certainly fair game to pay the eventual civil judgment.
The portion of the entire property reflecting that of the plaintiffs (lenders)has already been seized.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
The portion of the entire property reflecting that of the plaintiffs (lenders)has already been seized.

Well, there you go. They won't get off scot-free (financially) after all. And, if that portion of the property is not worth the 8.5 billion, plus damages, lawyer fees, etc.,then presumably the rest of the property can be seized as well.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010

Fugitives No More
Fugitive German and Indonesian Wife Captured by State Prosecutors to Start Serving Prison Sentences Handed Down in Bali Property Scam

Last edited by a moderator: