balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Indonesian President-elect Joko Widodo is considering raising subsidized fuel prices as early as next month as he seeks to free up state funds to invest in Southeast Asia’s largest economy at the start of his term.

“We can’t avoid this solution” because we are unable to find other ways to boost revenue in the short term, Arif Budimanta, a member of Widodo’s economic team, said in an interview in Jakarta late on Tuesday. “Previously, we expected a price increase this month under the current government, but the current government can’t do it. Maybe we can do it in October or November.”

The team is considering three alternative ways of raising fuel prices to curb subsidies: a one-time price increase, a gradual adjustment done every quarter or fixing the subsidy amount, Budimanta said. The administration of Joko, known as Jokowi, will find ways to prevent spikes in food prices and minimize the impact on public transportation when fuel costs rise, he said. It will also come up with plans to allocate cash for poor people, he said.

Jokowi Mulls Raising Indonesia Fuel Prices as Early as October | The Jakarta Globe

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I can't help thinking that cheap energy was what originally funded the massive expansion of the economy in the US after the war.

I've heard all the arguments about the subsidy being a burden on the poor more than the rich but the poor sure are not going to be happy giving up the mobility that cheap gas has meant to them and the rich couldn't care less how much the Mercedes costs to run.

I'm happy to pay more, well a little...

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
Evrthing can double .... just make Indonesia livable (for locals mainly) by acessible real health care .. and real education
("only" those 2). .and maybe next generations will have good start !

Gas price can triple ...all prices can (will follow) ... who cares (except shortsided egoists) ... If you are sick and empty minded all is for nothing ...
I pray for fuel rise coz it will mean some things are moving from dead point !

Health care and education ... thats what must be priority ... If you are sick and empty minded all is for nothing ...

Current state is like in that LEMINGIS game !