balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
Unfortunately there is no easy way to automate this. The Vbulletin CMS which runs it is useless and there haven't been any updates for it. The new version of vb isn't suppose to be much better, so it might be a time for a change.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
If you need help with Joomla set up and other stuff let me know .I can fly out of indo to do it :icon_e_wink:

also you can use VB forum and set it in Joomla or even WP if you want !

look at XenForo - Compelling Community Forum Software . they left VB and started XF about 2 years ago ( and a long legal battle happened )

Let me know if you have any questions

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
If you need help with Joomla set up and other stuff let me know .I can fly out of indo to do it :icon_e_wink:
How odd....
- Our site is managed from Singapore
- Hosted in the UK
- Our techie is in Medan (sometimes! He 'vanishes frequently in the middle of a job!!!!" par for the course really) We're upgrading to J3 responsive HTML5 & just a few days ago I posted a job on the freelance site we use, got 37 applicants from India, VietNam, Russia, Pakistan etc... many are of the 'I've been a Joomla EXPERT for 2 years and will do my very best!!!)
I'm whittling them down by asking 'difficult questions about methodology & which components could replace existing ones that aren't J3 enabled' (logical ones) and trying to invite them to ask me for further job-spec details to see what kind of nonsense replies I get... I'm down to 5 sensible discussions.
Can you tell I've been here before? ;)

I don't think Admin needs Joomla for Balipod, but he may need some techie-help & you wouldn't need to fly anywhere!
Well done, congratulations for volunteering ;)

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Joomla is going thru alot of changes of the last 2-3 years. I personally along with you agree balipod does not need it .

and yes I volunteering if it is allowed under my sosbud visa :icon_e_smile:

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
.... and yes I volunteering if it is allowed under my sosbud visa :icon_e_smile:

There you go, admin, who loves ya baby!

actually I have a few ideas for the 'pod which are best discussed over a few beers.... but won't get over again till September

balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
I am aware of Xenforo, but some people say it is still too "new". There is a lot of discontent on the VB forums about V5. The one which people seem to be moving to is IPB.

Always open to any suggestions about improving the site. I have used Joomla since it was Mambo and it works well, but upgrading is a real pain and components that you may rely on, can take a long time to also get upgraded or never at all.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
I'm still in the 'interview' (did you really understand the project specs) stage for Joomla 3.

I'll post an progress report... when there is some progress. Did you check Simple Machines?

balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
Going to buy a license for Xenforo and test it out. I now think Wordpress is the best CMS for managing a site. There is basically a plugin for almost anything you would like to accomplish with your site. SHoggard have you considered porting your site to Wordpress?

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
vaguely thought about it.... but we've been on Joomla since 2007 & loads of data (about 5 gig) - we're currently upgrading to a new 'responsive' template for mobile, tablets, desktop, laptop and uncle-tom-cobly & all - still on our dev site but hope to go live in a couple of weeks.