bean

Mar 26, 2010
Yesterday when we got home our dog and cat were both looking rather miserable and our dog was sporting a a new red collar. Our pembantu told us they'd both been given free rabies vaccinations by a local doctor. They weren't due for another couple of months, but of course we appreciate this service.

She couldn't tell us if the doctor was from the government or a charity (or our bhs wasn't up to the task). If it was a charity, we'd like to donate to whoever is doing this in our area (Umalas). Does anyone know?

If this is showing my ignorance I apologise, not much time for reading the news lately :(

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Rabies vaccinations are free for all dog, the government or people hired by the government are going around giving all dogs the jab, even the ones who seem to have no owners.

bean

Mar 26, 2010
Thanks BKT - Looks like our dog is the only one on the street with the new collar still on, so I guess the others either managed to avoid the vaccination, or ditched those collars as soon as they could.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
She couldn't tell us if the doctor was from the government or a charity (or our bhs wasn't up to the task). If it was a charity, we'd like to donate to whoever is doing this in our area (Umalas). Does anyone know? ....

BAWA (Bali Animal Welfare Association) has been doing much of this work. It is a huge project with very many people working on it. Volunteer veterinarians from Australia have been involved with the project management. I cannot be sure if BAWA was operating in your area - but I guess you could ask. See The Bali Street Dog Fund Rabies Update

bean

Mar 26, 2010
Thanks Ron - I think BAWA's work is amazing, but I don't think they were responsible in this case. My cat has just spent 3 days in the vet clinic on a drip because she was given a dog sized dose. I've been absolutely distraught about it, and seriously recommend anyone who would rather have their pets vaccinated by a trusted vet keep their gates locked and ensure any staff know about it...

I sincerely doubt a BAWA vet would have been crazy enough to overdose my cat on the vaccination, and I really, really hope the local government, if they were the ones responsible, are sending qualified vets to people's homes :(

Chilli will be coming home tomorrow - I can't wait to see her again. This has been a really horrible experience.

bean

Mar 26, 2010
Thanks Tiggy, she came home yesterday and is a LOT better, though still rather quiet and she's lost so much weight. We're so, so glad she's ok and we're busy spoiling her and giving her lots of cuddles.

Julesie

May 4, 2011
Seminyak, Bali
Just be careful with the local injections. Apparently they are not as strong/good as the ones the (good) vets have. The local ones last about a year, the 'good' ones last 3.
On another note though... distemper... I recently had my dog put down because of distemper. He had been immunized, but still got sick. Someone told me that he could have got it when he was very young, but it only just showed up. The vet told me he had a 50/50 chance of survival, but that he'd always have problems. He then explained to me that a dog with distemper is a carrier for life and that their stools and saliva can infected other dogs for up to 2 years. I didn't want to expose my other dog and all the street dogs to that... hard decision... but I know it was the right (responsible) thing to do. :icon_sad:

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Thanks BKT - Looks like our dog is the only one on the street with the new collar still on, so I guess the others either managed to avoid the vaccination, or ditched those collars as soon as they could.

I've been surprised by the ammount of collars that come off after vaccination. Seen dogs I know have had the jab with no collars also seen collars lying in the road.
So what happens in the second wave after the injections? I heard that culling uncollared/unvaccinated dogs was the plan. Bad luck for fido who didn't like his collar. Good luck for rabid rover who's owner put a found red collar on.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
yeah, the locking mechanism of the collar isn't of a very high standard to say the least..have gone through a couple of them ( well my dogs :icon_lol: ) have now glued the 'lock' with Lem G, see how long that will hold.

daisydog

May 14, 2011
doggy query

yeah, the locking mechanism of the collar isn't of a very high standard to say the least..have gone through a couple of them ( well my dogs :icon_lol: ) have now glued the 'lock' with Lem G, see how long that will hold.

Hi there, Gilbert. I have been reading quite a few of your blogs now that I've cracked the Bali Expat Forum puzzle. This is the first reply I have been able to make (I hope). Anyway, with the red collar question - isn't it the red collar that tells local authorities that the dog is either rabies free or vaccinated, and therefore shouldn't be confiscated or, worse, killed? Doesn't every dog have to wear one? I am writing from Sydney, and heading to live in Bali mid 2012. Good luck and good living. Steve (username: daisydog)

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
@steve,
me...blogs?? I have no blogs..you mean comments,right?
Anyways,
If a dog gets vaccinated against rabies (either by private veterinarian or catched roadside) the dog gets a red-collar. so yeah, the red-collar is like a sign for the dogcatchers that they do not have to catch that dog for vaccination.
You're right every dog should have one,since every dog should be vaccinated but ofcourse not all dogs are so easily catched...quite a few slip through the maze sort of speak.

My two male balidogs are pretty territorial, so now and then they get into a fight with other doggies..I mean real fight, not just barking but no holds barred cage-fight style :icon_lol:...so sometimes one comes home without his collar..Now my dogs get's a new red-collar the next day, but the 'street' dogs don't. Meaning, although vacinated some don't have that collar anymore.

Don't worry too much about the dogs...as long as there are still busses full of tourists stop to see and feed monkeys, rabies from dogs can't be that dangerous...meaning just as dangerous as getting bit by a rabied monkey :icon_lol:

Wish you a good move in 2012...stay in touch, and tells us (forum) about your adventures in getting here :)