Jaltona

Jun 23, 2013
Telkom are rolling out the fibre <snip>10MB basic plan and up to 100MB package if you want to pay for that

Yes - indihome.co.id. 10mbps plus lots of international TV stations for less than 400.000 per month and no set-up fee (except perhaps some extra cable). Anyone used it for a while care to share their experiences?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Yes, we have had it in 2 houses since June. The download speed is always close to what they say. The TV service is good and lets you play programs on demand - like you want to see last night's HBO movie this afternoon - no prob. With Internet sites you sometimes get that "empty response" problem - I suspect this is in someway connected to Indonesia's clumsy attempt at Internet censorship- but not sure. Using VPNs sometimes avoids this problem. Telkom service on the whole is reasonable but varies a bit depending who you get. Value for money - you can't do better.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
No cap, just the download speed limit. The basic service that most are signing up for is 10 megabit/sec, but for higher fees you can get 20, 50 or 100 megabit/sec. It takes a while to shake the notion that every gigabyte you download was somehow paid for in gold. No problem to throw it away and re download.

If you were to choose 100 Mbps which is the speed of the local link into your home, you may wonder whether Indonesia's Internet connectivity can deliver at such speeds. I don't know as I have not tried, but 10 Mbps really works. Download any large bittorrent file that has a large number of seeds and you will see the full 10 Mbps (or very near) sustained over long periods.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I hate you all! I'm still waiting for the cable to appear on the poles that telekom planted 4 month ago - I'm sure they only did it to tease me!

On the upside - with all you assholes moving to cable the sim card service has really speeded up.

Gotta look for that silver lining!

tcollins

Sep 1, 2014
Thanks for that.

Are most of the Internet and TV services "bundled" together or is it better to get each from a seperate supplier?

Assuming also that most of these can be paid for without an account and more of a pre-pay type system, or would I need an Indonesian Bank account to sign up?

No cap, just the download speed limit. The basic service that most are signing up for is 10 megabit/sec, but for higher fees you can get 20, 50 or 100 megabit/sec. It takes a while to shake the notion that every gigabyte you download was somehow paid for in gold. No problem to throw it away and re download.

If you were to choose 100 Mbps which is the speed of the local link into your home, you may wonder whether Indonesia's Internet connectivity can deliver at such speeds. I don't know as I have not tried, but 10 Mbps really works. Download any large bittorrent file that has a large number of seeds and you will see the full 10 Mbps (or very near) sustained over long periods.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Telkom's Indihome provides 3 services, phone, TV, and Internet. No option to split them. So what if you want these 3 things at different locations in the house. You get Telkom to install to where you want the wifi router to be. The modem gizmo provides for 2 phones - you just connect via standard phone cables that can be as long as you want - they provide you with a short one - maybe 2 metres. The 2 phones if you had them would be extensions of the single number. The the TV set-top box is connected by an ethernet cable - I think these can be 50 metres or more without trouble. They provide a fairly short one.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I joined with CBN fiber as they've been up and running for about 6 months already. There are many of those black poles around my area but Telkom fiber hasn't yet sent anyone to sell any product.
I get 10 mbps internet from CBN but I don't switch to their TV as the content in English is not so good as my old Telkom cable TV. I use CBN fiber as a standby in case cable fails
CBN offers 2 free movies/month but others are 'pay on demand'. They also can 'look back' to previous programs but that seems only for local programs and not English language TV series/comedy etc.

Does anyone know if Indohome is better/worse than CBN....I am only committed to CBN for a few more months

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I've been using Telkom IndiHome for a couple of months now and so far, it's been great (and relatively cheap).
Can only get 10 Mbps down where I live at the moment but that's not exactly shabby (and for a quarter of the price I was paying for an unlimited Telkom Speedy 3 Mbps package).

In my case, everything was included (fibre cable to the house, modem, installation, TV box). The registration fee was Rp 75,000 and monthly around Rp 350,000 (due to go up to Rp 400,000 in January).
The basic unlimited package includes about 60 TV/Movie/News channels (both local and international), some video on demand and radio.
Plus a digital phone line with 27 hours/month of free calls within Indonesia.

Top-ups for extra channels are optional but available.

Frankly, I'm not sure for how long they can keep this up for the price.
I haven't tried CBN so can't make a comparison.