scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Bali's Seven Deadly Sins
Bali Tourism Officials List Seven Threats to the Future of the Island's Tourism Industry.

(8/21/2010) The Bali Post reports that representatives of major tourism stakeholder organizations have listed seven "sicknesses" afflicting Bali tourism threatening the island's largest industry. The problems, if left unaddressed, the tourism figures warned, will reveal Bali to be crowded and noisy; an image in stark contrast with the peaceful and idyllic image presented in the current Hollywood film "Eat, Pray, Love."

This dire outlook was put forth by representatives of the Bali Tourism Board (BTB), Indonesian Hotel and Restaurant Association (PHRI), Association of Indonesian Travel Agents (ASITA)and the Tourism Transportation Association (PAWIBA) in an exchange of views with the Bali House of Representatives on Monday, August 16, 2010.

The tourism figures cited 7 chronic diseases suffered by Bali:

• Traffic congestion, particularly at the Simpang Siur intersection and in Legian, both in Kuta. While plans are being discussed to alleviate the problem at Simpang Siur, the traffic deadlock in Legian is largely due to cars parking along the sides of already narrow roads.

• The presence of illegal tourism transportation operators in Bali. Authorities have proven themselves reluctant or unable to move against the thousands of illegal taxi and transport operations on the island using vehicles lacking tourism operating permits and the required safety certification.

• A declining level of service by the immigration department. Despite numerous complaints, including pleas for relief addressed to the Vice-president and the Minister of Justice and Human Right, and promises of more immigration officials to work at Bali's airport, the tourism sector spokespersons claim little has been done to improve visa-on-arrival service at Bali's sole air gateway.

• The need for an adequate supply of alcoholic beverages for visiting tourists and the frequent interruptions in supply occasioned by maneuvering among powerful groups in Jakarta vying for control of the island's lucrative liquor trade.

• The failure to introduce an effective moratorium on the building of new hotels in Bali and the continuing announcmenet of new hotel projects. Despite general agreement that the carrying capacity for new hotels, both in terms of market demand and infrastructure, is under severe strain, new permits for hotels in Badung continue to be issued.

• The need to place the hotel and restaurant tax (PHR) reporting and collection system for Bali on-line. An automated tax system would lend credibility to the taxation process. The CEO of the Bali Tourism Development Corporation (BTDC), Made Madra, postulates that tax revenues would increase by a factor of 3 if the on-line system were introduced.

• The 500% increase in charges for well water exploitation in Bali which is placing a very heavy financial burden on small and medium-sized hotels.

After hearing the complaints of Bali's tourism leaders, the DPR-Bali promised to create a special committee to examine the areas of concern raised during the recent exchange of views.

:icon_sad:

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Too many people

Totally agree Jimbo. Found this snipit from the Bureau of Statistics. Bali's population has increased 20% in only a decade to 3.89 million - now that's a huge worry

Last edited:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Totally agree Jimbo. Found this snipit from the Bureau of Statistics. Bali's population has increased 20% in only a decade to 3.89 million - now that's a huge worry

Is it really a huge worry? All over the world people will move from poorer areas to where the money seems to be. Tourism in Bali makes money, so creates a honey-pot effect. Certainly, this raises planning issues for the province and regencies. But would it make sense for Indonesia to try and stop the movement of people between provinces?

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I cannot speak for them Ron but as an example there are water and environmental issues directly related to the size of the population.

When you look at the great population centers such as Mexico city, Tokyo, Shanghai, Bombay, Karachi, Lagos etc it seems to refute your argument. There is only so much that is sustainable although I do not pretend that I have sufficient knowledge to state when that will be reached for Bali some souces believe it is now.

Canggu

Aug 25, 2010
Rubbish!

That is a fair appraisal of the weight that expansion has increasingly had on Bali's buckling infrastructure - and let's hope that the 'administration' is a step closer to addressing the problems. I'm disappointed that the environmental fallout from all the expansion ostensibly didn't crack a mention, as Jimbo touched on above. Public awareness campaigns and legislation to curb dumping - the word "littering" just doesn't cut it to explain the severity of the problem - is non-existent

"I WANT BALI TO BE THE WORLD'S FIRST PLASTIC BAG + BOTTLE FREE ISLAND" - LINK HERE whose membership numbers a few thousand, seem to be heading in the right direction - and perhaps achieving something. The amount of times I've seen a warung owner dumping their used cooking oil into the drain, and their plastic bags and rubbish often, is saddening.

While the tail-end of the group's emotional plea is a bit too condescending for mine, there is unarguably much truth to what they're saying: "Imagine if Bali was plastic free! Imagine if the people of BALI loved their island so much that they turned it into a place of beauty and reverence cleaning it from harmful toxic plastic bags and bottles. Those of us that live in Bali, how many times have we wished the Balinese would take more care etc to protect their beautiful island."

I've rarely had a friend say that they went short on alcohol here - lol - but I've heard many comment how disappointing it is that the isle becomes filthier year after year. I can't say that I'm green enough to encourage entirely banning plastic bags, but clearly something has got to be done. Singapore wasn't always pristine, far from it, but that was turned around. Can Bali?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
When you look at the great population centers such as Mexico city, Tokyo, Shanghai, Bombay, Karachi, Lagos etc it seems to refute your argument. There is only so much that is sustainable although I do not pretend that I have sufficient knowledge to state when that will be reached for Bali some souces believe it is now.

Jimbo, for sure the big cities you name, and Jakarta also, have big problems. But I am not sure why that refutes my argument. My argument, as I understand it, is that the population growth in Bali is largely movement of Indonesians from elsewhere to here, and that planning issues need to be addressed by the regencies and the province.

Indonesia, as a nation, has a large population, probably too large - and this will stress resources. But is anyone seriously suggesting that Bali should somehow disconnect from the nation in order to stop this movement of people?

leandra

Feb 16, 2010
the snake bites in its tail

No systems
--->no security systems ( government, ( building)rules, taxes, human rights, money( anti-corruption))
-->no environment systems( protection of the sea, animals, garbage, sewage water, pollution, noise)

-------------> no tourists------------------------------------------------>

-------------> no business!!!( hotels, transports, spas, manufacturer and thousands more)
---> no money and wealth.---------> no systems.

i hope the balinese people wake up before tourist numbers will go backwards and the last river is polluted for years.

lets pray.

leandra

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I read this when it first came out and I had some reservations then - so many of us are used to accepting more or less blindly what has been printed in newspapers that it sometimes takes a while (if at all) for the truth or untruth of many statements to percolate through. Percolation has happened:

Bali's Seven Deadly Sins
Bali Tourism Officials List Seven Threats to the Future of the Island's Tourism Industry.

(8/21/2010) The Bali Post reports that representatives of major tourism stakeholder organizations have listed seven "sicknesses" afflicting Bali tourism threatening the island's largest industry. The problems, if left unaddressed, the tourism figures warned, will reveal Bali to be crowded and noisy; an image in stark contrast with the peaceful and idyllic image presented in the current Hollywood film "Eat, Pray, Love."

This dire outlook was put forth by representatives of the Bali Tourism Board (BTB), Indonesian Hotel and Restaurant Association (PHRI), Association of Indonesian Travel Agents (ASITA)and the Tourism Transportation Association (PAWIBA) in an exchange of views with the Bali House of Representatives on Monday, August 16, 2010.

The tourism figures cited 7 chronic diseases suffered by Bali:

• Traffic congestion, particularly at the Simpang Siur intersection and in Legian, both in Kuta. While plans are being discussed to alleviate the problem at Simpang Siur, the traffic deadlock in Legian is largely due to cars parking along the sides of already narrow roads.

Traffic jams are a part of normal life - even in Canada with a population of 31 million (x10 Bali!) they have jams in Toronto. Get used to it:icon_surprised:

• The presence of illegal tourism transportation operators in Bali. Authorities have proven themselves reluctant or unable to move against the thousands of illegal taxi and transport operations on the island using vehicles lacking tourism operating permits and the required safety certification.

Illegality is in the eyes of the beholder (or taxing agency) if these "illegals" paid taxes regularly they would be held up as heros of entrepreneurial endeavor.

• A declining level of service by the immigration department. Despite numerous complaints, including pleas for relief addressed to the Vice-president and the Minister of Justice and Human Right, and promises of more immigration officials to work at Bali's airport, the tourism sector spokespersons claim little has been done to improve visa-on-arrival service at Bali's sole air gateway.

I really don't get this one as 1) I personally never have had any problem getting through in a timely and friendly manor - never! Try going though Heathrow, Miami or Frankfurt - even Singapore is worse, better carpets though:icon_wink:

• The need for an adequate supply of alcoholic beverages for visiting tourists and the frequent interruptions in supply occasioned by maneuvering among powerful groups in Jakarta vying for control of the island's lucrative liquor trade.

If you want great supplies of scotch go to Scotland! Of Bintang there is enough for all to swill in and if you want a cheeky little blend of impudent local liquor try the stuff they sell in Hardys I love it, well, like it, anyway. Anybody expecting to get a good wine should really try Germany, France or Chile - hell, I'm told even Down Udder has a drinkable drop. Do we really need and expect our French Chablis to be the same price here as in say Chicago, London or wherever?

• The failure to introduce an effective moratorium on the building of new hotels in Bali and the continuing announcmenet of new hotel projects. Despite general agreement that the carrying capacity for new hotels, both in terms of market demand and infrastructure, is under severe strain, new permits for hotels in Badung continue to be issued.

Regardless of what you may believe, hotels do wish to run at a profit and most being owned by shareholders they are actually made to do their due diligence on each new site they open.

They do not invest millions and millions on loss making sites or they go out of business very quickly - it has in the past taken serious events to cause even a ripple in their business plans(bombings) - if they are still willing to invest in new hotels in Bali this really means only one thing. The future is good for business. They will have more guests in both rooms and restaurants and they will be making money in Bali - whether we like it or not! The market will drive the infrastructure - I will make a prognosis: when the first 4 star hotel runs out of water the surrounding villages will be part of a large water/building project inspired by some government body but privately funded.

• The need to place the hotel and restaurant tax (PHR) reporting and collection system for Bali on-line. An automated tax system would lend credibility to the taxation process. The CEO of the Bali Tourism Development Corporation (BTDC), Made Madra, postulates that tax revenues would increase by a factor of 3 if the on-line system were introduced.

They are tired of getting robbed by themselves. Not our problem?

• The 500% increase in charges for well water exploitation in Bali which is placing a very heavy financial burden on small and medium-sized hotels.

Governments are nothing if not inventive at driving in revenue. Maybe if hotels were more interested in paying their taxes the local government would be more interested and able to pay for new water management schemes. Note it says only the small and medium are burdened - the larger hotels have always done business up front and without trying to hide their profits - meaning they are paying correct taxes and operating in an open and accessible manor - profitably.

After hearing the complaints of Bali's tourism leaders, the DPR-Bali promised to create a special committee to examine the areas of concern raised during the recent exchange of views.

:icon_sad:

jokko

Jan 20, 2010
markit

markit , so true what you write and yr coming back to the forum makes me very happy

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
I read this when it first came out and I had some reservations then - so many of us are used to accepting more or less blindly what has been printed in newspapers that it sometimes takes a while (if at all) for the truth or untruth of many statements to percolate through. Percolation has happened:

Markit,we are not talking about Chablis.Why does a bottle of simple australian wine cost here five times more than in Europe?(which is really a longer distance away from Australia as well.)

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
I guess we'll have to get use to traffic problems in Bali like Markit says, normal countries make changes to existing roads and they build more roads to help the flow in other areas, here they do nothing.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
................Why does a bottle of simple australian wine cost here five times more than in Europe?(which is really a longer distance away from Australia as well.)

Hermit, there is a simple answer to your question. There is a high import duty on alcoholic drinks.

It is not likely that the parliament in Jakarta will reduce this.

Of course, you could dream of a day when Bali negotiates a "special status" and can set it's own import duties - but really that is just a dream.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
import duty

Hermit, there is a simple answer to your question. There is a high import duty on alcoholic drinks.

Of course,i know that.And on top of that there is another tax relevant to the alcoholcontent.(wich came in the place of the luxury tax)The point in the first posting of this thread,worded by the bali tourism authority,was that it was bad for bussines.Of course it is,Maybe apart from Sweden these prices are the highest in the world.I do not miss my Chablis,but for many visitors wine is unaffordable now.
Something else,as the second tax is levied on the alcohol content,why is a bottle of vodka or whisky about the same price now as a bottle of wine?Wine alcoholcontent 11-15 percent,spirits 40percent.
There seems to be a monopoly for one firm on the import of wine,so the price before tax is already artificially inflated.Firms like Zero Spirits might me able to sell for better prices,but as Monsieur Antoine,the owner told me,his container from South Africa is stuck in Jakarta.Machinations,vested interests?Everything seems possible.