Football

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Not a great game between Persebaya & Borneo, as the fans set fires in the stands. 10,000+ fans and 1,000+ police & riot squad, everyone went home safe. The new Australian Player Aryn Williams did not shine at all, hopefully he settles in soon.
Look out Bali as 25,000 Bonik fans are heading to the game on Friday night against Bandung.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Fred, I'm not following you around to jump on your every post but what is it about soccer? A common feature of the game in many countries is for the losing supporters to pour out of the stadium, throwing rocks at passing cars and just generally going crazy. (You might gather I am not a soccer fan. ) One explanation I have seen suggested for this type of behaviour is the low scoring nature of the game so there is not the release of tension every now and again with every score as happens with many other sports.

And just to totally alienate myself from probably the majority of the Balipod members who are probably soccer fans.... personally I would rather sit and watch grass grow than watch a game of soccer which must be one of the most boring sports known to humankind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zimbo and SquarePeg

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Fred, I'm not following you around to jump on your every post but what is it about soccer? A common feature of the game in many countries is for the losing supporters to pour out of the stadium, throwing rocks at passing cars and just generally going crazy. (You might gather I am not a soccer fan. ) One explanation I have seen suggested for this type of behaviour is the low scoring nature of the game so there is not the release of tension every now and again with every score as happens with many other sports.

And just to totally alienate myself from probably the majority of the Balipod members who are probably soccer fans.... personally I would rather sit and watch grass grow than watch a game of soccer which must be one of the most boring sports known to humankind.
Had daughters that played this snail-like sport and heartily agree. It was agony for me to watch despite the fact that one was an excellent player as was my granddaughter later. Just blamed myself for not trying harder to be a fan, and am relieved to learn of your lack of appreciation as well.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
I say old chap, I am not going to stand for that. Soccer (as you Australians call it) is a game of subtlety and precise skills. It is more like an art form than a sport. If ypu are so lacking in imagination that you can't appreciate the sight of Maradona weaving his magic way through a defense then I feel sorry for you. Football is not just about scoring goals, it is tbe game itself.

• Haha
Reactions: SquarePeg and Fred2

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I say old chap, I am not going to stand for that. Soccer (as you Australians call it) is a game of subtlety and precise skills. It is more like an art form than a sport. If ypu are so lacking in imagination that you can't appreciate the sight of Maradona weaving his magic way through a defense then I feel sorry for you. Football is not just about scoring goals, it is tbe game itself.
Maradona? Is she that American, ageing pop star who sings "Just like a Virgin". I didn't know that she played soccer as well and does magic tricks

• Haha
Reactions: SquarePeg

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Maradona? Is she that American, ageing pop star who sings "Just like a Virgin". I didn't know that she played soccer as well and does magic tricks
Haha. Very droll. A substatial proportion of the world's population will know about Maradona. How many people know about Gary Ablett or Leigh Matthews outside of Australia? Ask yourself why?
Each to his own. I could bore you for hours about football and the great players I have seen.
Cheers

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Haha. Very droll. A substatial proportion of the world's population will know about Maradona. How many people know about Gary Ablett or Leigh Matthews outside of Australia? Ask yourself why?
Each to his own. I could bore you for hours about football and the great players I have seen.
Cheers

Compared with watching the game you're talking about football and great players would probably be quite exciting

harryopal

May 5, 2016

Yes, very uplifting but do they go crazy when they lose which seems to be a feature of soccer world wide. Living in Kenya it was inadvisable to go past the Nairobi soccer stadium at the end of a game as the losing fans would pour out and throw rocks at passing cars.

But if you want really a really great team song watch the Richmond Geelong game on ABC TV this coming Saturday when the Tigers (Richmond) fans sing "We're from Tigerland" after Richmond win the grand final. At least I hope that is what is played and not "We are Geelong."

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Yes, very uplifting but do they go crazy when they lose which seems to be a feature of soccer world wide. Living in Kenya it was inadvisable to go past the Nairobi soccer stadium at the end of a game as the losing fans would pour out and throw rocks at passing cars.

But if you want really a really great team song watch the Richmond Geelong game on ABC TV this coming Saturday when the Tigers (Richmond) fans sing "We're from Tigerland" after Richmond win the grand final. At least I hope that is what is played and not "We are Geelong."

I really have very little interest in either sport but I can wholeheartedly say rugby or even Aussie rules football is far more entertaining than soccer/football.

I know no one asked for my opinion but there it is

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
"But if you want really a really great team song watch the Richmond Geelong game on ABC TV this coming Saturday when the Tigers (Richmond) fans sing "We're from Tigerland" after Richmond win the grand final. At least I hope that is what is played and not "We are Geelong."
It will be interesting to see what happen at the AFL grand finial, played Brisbane ????? Dictator Dan said not parties in Victoria, not allowed to invite anyone around to watch on TV.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
3390No interest for you soccer enthusiasts.

No deaths just two carried off unconscious... one Richmond ... one Geelong

But The Tigers did done it! Premiership winners. Three times in the last four years.

Reactions: Foamcrest

Zimbo

Jun 22, 2016
Soccer is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans. Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen.
Soccer players are a bunch of overpaid, ignorant prima donnas.

Reactions: Juggler