surfermoe

Oct 3, 2012
I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has food allergies that they've had a challenge dealing with in Bali, and how they've managed to handle it.

We're planning to move to Bali in July 2013 and our ten-year-old has a severe allergy to several kinds of nuts (most severely to peanuts). We understand that peanut is a staple of Balinese food.

Because our son has had this allergy for a long time (he's 10, and has had it pretty much from birth) we're used to dealing with it, but we'd like to know if others out there face this challenge in Bali.

Thank you,

Maurice

Larnes

Jul 28, 2008
Hi Maurice
I have food and insect allergies. The food allergies are a challenge as it can be hard to tell what is in stuff, I have a prawn allergy so shrimp paste (for example) is an issue. I have had major anaphylactic attacks (although not in Bali) and also slower ones involving swelling etc.
My regime is pretty simple - I take anti-histimine suppressants every day while in Bali, use hydro-cortisone creme and have oral cortisone steriod also. I also revert to Phenergen when needed, but last time I did this I had a little sleep at the dinner table between entree and dinner!! A couple of months is a limit for my system, after that I need time back home to help clear proteins. I have not yet had to use my epipens in Bali.
Sorry, that probably doesn't sound very hopeful.
Would you know if your son is also allergic to candlenuts? They are used as thickening in some curries. Hygiene and kitchen cleanup will be your issue - tables are not wiped properly, neither are benches - I have found this to be an issue in the past.

Regards,
Larnes.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Dear, dear Suffermore this just gets worse and worse doesn't it. Now one of the darling children that you intend to rip out of their 5 minute walk away $2000/month Montessori education in Canada and bring to Bali will probably only last about 5 minutes here anyway to be carried off with peanut poisoning.

FYI peanuts are about as common here as pasta in Italy. They are hidden/part of every food you will probably eat here. Your son has the life expectancy of a butterfly in one of your Canadian blizzards. Fact! If you don't believe me just check out a Balinese cookbook.

Next you will be telling us that your wife is on life support and wants to take up hang gliding when she gets here.

Truly I'm not hounding you but your plan to move your family to Bali seems to be a tad ill-considered at the best and positively suicidal at worst.

If it's danger and excitment you are after then I suggest you all put on "God is an Arab" t-shirts and head across the border for an afternoon in the land of the free, home of the brave.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Markit just told you the "facts of life" in his inimitable style, but once you get over it, you'll see he is right. Unless your 10-year old kid eats ALL of his meals at home, undre the strict supervision of his parents, your kid will be living in hell while in Bali because of the constant threat to his life caused by the Indonesian way of life, more precisely of eating. And has he continues to grow up and becomes more independent, this life threatening problem will only become greater. I had 4 children and none were affected with this kind of problem, so I am not speaking from experience. But I am speaking from long experience in Bali, when I say that peanuts and other types of nuts are present in most prepared foods in Indonesia. If trusting the labels on a box or can of Indonesian prepared food may requires a bit of faith, food prepared in restaurants and warung, forget it. Just saying.

Last edited:

surfermoe

Oct 3, 2012
Thanks very much for your helpful information, Larnes. It sounds like you have quite a restrictive daily regime.

Tintin, I understand your points, but I think we'll be able to manage (with a lot of vigilance). We've traveled quite a bit with our boys - including to developing countries, where awareness of food allergies is non-existent - and we've managed by preparing our own food, carrying a note written in the local language explaining our son's allergies, and only eating at restaurants frequented by Western tourists (it seems that only Westerners have these allergies. Maybe because food allergies don't exist in developing countries, or people who suffer from them there die early).

Thanks!

Maurice

Andrew

Mar 25, 2012
Sanur
I can only agree with Tintin and Markit´s. My wife has a seafood allergy, and even if we tell the retaurant staff to make sure there is no seafood in the soto ayam (which there normally isn´t), it often happens that we find fish in food where it shouldn´t be. You ask them what it is, they say "pork" but it´s tuna. Ha ha ha :-(

With a peanut allergy I would stay far away from Bali / Indonesia / Asia.

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
I would not even consider bringing a 10 year old boy with severe allergies to nuts to Indo/Bali . Thats asking for trouble in a big big way .

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Even if he would eat all the time at home he probably would be a loner at school "no I can only eat what Mum has cooked", I also believe you will not do the kid a favor, he will be a Bule AND a kid who can't join Sate Parties

surfermoe

Oct 3, 2012
Even if he would eat all the time at home he probably would be a loner at school "no I can only eat what Mum has cooked", I also believe you will not do the kid a favor, he will be a Bule AND a kid who can't join Sate Parties

That's a good point, but it's a challenge he's dealt with every day since starting school (i.e. for 6 years). He's handled it well and, being an extremely social person, he's never been a "loner".

While I appreciate everyone's feedback, I would value comments from someone who lives in Bali/Indonesia and actually has a child with food allergies, or knows someone who does.

Maurice

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
While I appreciate everyone's feedback, I would value comments from someone who lives in Bali/Indonesia and actually has a child with food allergies, or knows someone who does.

Maurice

Well, you've heard from Larnes (and his portable pharmacy) and Andrew, which may be as close to the age-group you're looking to hear from as you'll get....
Possibly because sensible parents have researched the issues, problems and availability of a 'real Western educated doctor' who understands that these weird Orang Puteh afflictions to one of their dietary staples is real and not just a little boy throwing a tantrum, knows what drugs to administer, in what quantit, and if not do you speak enough of His/Her language to tell him.....and having examined their motives against the life of their child decided not to relocate to Bali.

I think it unlikely that you'll hear from someone who
lives in Bali/Indonesia and actually has a child with food allergies, or knows someone who does.
and will be willing and able to give you the answer you seem to want to hear and give you 'permision' and justify your lifestyle choice to risk your 10 year old child's life - sorry if that's a bit brutal, but that's the way it looks.

On the other hand, before actually 'moving to Bali' why not try a 1 week package tour & see if the kid makes it past the 1st weekend..alternatively, from your nick, why not try Hawaii? They understand alergies (being Americans) and the food labels are in English, unlike in Indonesia

Last edited:

surfermoe

Oct 3, 2012
I think it unlikely that you'll hear from someone who and will be willing and able to give you the answer you seem to want to hear and give you 'permision' and justify your lifestyle choice to risk your 10 year old child's life - sorry if that's a bit brutal, but that's the way it looks.

I'm not looking for "permission" - I'm looking for thoughtful comments from people who are in a situation comparable to mine, so they can provide advice based on experience, not speculation or specious logic (which is what some people on this forum seem to specialize in).

Here's part of a message that was sent to me by an Australian woman whose daughter has severe allergies to peanuts AND shellfish (and who has traveled for years through most countries in SE Asia):

"...people that don't have the problem can't comment as they have no idea."

Lesson learned. I shouldn't be posting on a general forum such as this one.

Andrew

Mar 25, 2012
Sanur
I would be interested in the other part of the message the woman sent. Did she recommend that you move to Bali or advice against it ?

And I have to disagree. People who don´t have the problem may well comment, if they have the knowledge (about the food, about people they know with similar problems, etc).

I think we all had the impression that you were waiting for one positive comment, so that your move to Bali would be "justified". At least I did ...

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Oh get real!!!
Most people on this forum are generally helpful unless they see outright stupidity, which as the father of a 12 year old (admittedly with no specific alergies - not even to homework) I see your later posts for what they are.
Your Australian woman's comment "...people that don't have the problem can't comment as they have no idea." may be valid but of course you haven't given the bottom line... I bet she said "don't do it"..... But you've had quite detailed comments from 2 Balipoders who DO have experience of alergies, but while thanking them politely, you discount their real experience and are seeking an alternative perspective that gives you 'permission'.
Ok... your choice
(edited to include): Just saw Andrew's post: sama sama

Last edited:

surfermoe

Oct 3, 2012
I would be interested in the other part of the message the woman sent. Did she recommend that you move to Bali or advice against it ?

And I have to disagree. People who don´t have the problem may well comment, if they have the knowledge (about the food, about people they know with similar problems, etc).

I think we all had the impression that you were waiting for one positive comment, so that your move to Bali would be "justified". At least I did ...

Andrew, I agree with you - my wife and I ARE looking for justification to move to Bali - because we'd love to live there. But we're also looking for tips from others who are in our shoes (or close to it), so we can try to mitigate the risks.

Here are the two messages that the Australian lady sent to me via TripAdvisor private message (I'm posting it here so other parents with allergic children can benefit from it).

Message #1:

"Hi,

I visit Bali and other overseas destinations regularly so am always faced with my daughters food allergy problems.

No matter where we are we are always cautious. I find that eating out is always a concern. Take a written translation with you each time you dine out, speak to the waiter ask to speak to the chef. When the food is served once again check that it is cooked as per your instructions ie no peanuts / no peanut oil / no cross contamination with cutting boards / utensils etc.
Always carry sufficient epi pens, take zyrtec or similar everywhere you go and have a copy of an anaphylaxis plan with you. Have the phone number of the BIMC (bali international medical clinic) and also a phone contact of your doctor in bali.

Since you will be living in Bali you will also be able to purchase all sorts of suitable groceries from the supermarkets there.

Bali is really no different to any other place you live / visit, there is always a risk. Once you are established there and return to the same restaurants they will get to know you and you can feel more comfortable dining out.

I do find that dining in some of the larger hotel restaurants that have european chefs a little easier as they have a better understanding of your request.

We have the added problem of our daughter being anaphylaxis to all crustaceans as well and this makes the situation even more worrying for us. However we still keep on travelling and try to let our daughter live life to the fullest.

Good luck with your possible move to Bali, such a beautiful place to base yourself!"

Message #2:

"No worries, people that don't have the problem can't comment as they have no idea. It is frustrating.

We find that even living in Australia we are faced with the same challenges regarding where to eat out (except of course with translating but most people in Bali understand some form of English). Since my daughter has both peanut and crustacean allergies that cause anaphylaxis we find it near to impossible to take her to most restaurants even here in Oz. Anywhere that has a fryer will cook everything in the same oil, ie chips, prawn cutlets, fish, chicken etc so that means we can't even order her hot chips to have with a steak! Even local RSL clubs cook everything in the same fryers. As for fast foods McDonalds and KFC are the only places that don't serve peanuts and seafood. She can't even eat at subway because they have crab / seafood as a filling and every time we go there we see them use the same utensils and gloves and all the salads etc are cross contaminated.

We have decided that we continue to travel and have to deal with each meal at a time. We have been to Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia etc. We have had a couple of trips to NZ and cooked most of our own food there but even dining out still had the same issues for us. The only times we have had a holiday with a low risk of anaphylaxis has been a few cruises we have been on. Very well organized, her food is ordered a day in advance, a separate chef prepares her food and the waiters double check her orders before the chef prepares. We have another cruise organized for Jan so we can all relax!

Living with food allergies is like living with a time bomb.

Good luck, don't be disheartened just always be aware and cautious.

Regards."

Last edited:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
I agree with Shoggard here. I can understand you love Bali and want to live here, but once you had that child you have to put it first and make sacrifices for it. IMO it would be selfish to bring your child here.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Rangi, he's got the 'permission' he wants and he'd 'love to live in Bali' so as they say: There's none so blind as those that won't see"

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I don't have experience dealing with food allergies, but I can say that when we go out for dinner my wife usually asks for dishes to be cooked in a certain way. 9 times out of 10 the request is basically ignored.

So stop commenting on things you're not even remotely qualified to.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Dear Suffermore,

Many of the people that give advice and support to prospective immigrant Xpats sometimes do so out of a misguided sense of wanting to help others.

This is a wonderful sentiment but generally misses the many points that many of the more "annoying" advice givers here have hit dead center.

We have all seen many people give up everything - homes, family, friends, jobs, money, careers, etc, etc. ad infinitum to come to Bali and then turn tail after 6 months and head back to where home used to be.

Most of these people had a much better chance of succeeding than do you, frankly put.

Hence our vehemence in trying to put you off. We are not basically evil (well, I am but the rest aren't) we just are tired of watching people with big dreams and little understanding dash their lives and the lives or their families on the cliffs of Balinese reality.

Take heed!

I'm sure you won't, but I hope you stay with us regardless here at the forum as we are endlessly facinated to see "how it all comes out". Forget "Lost" or "Vampire Diaries" adventure Bali is far more interesting.