Fishing off Sanur

Ginand T

Sep 30, 2019
Hi guys, in Sanur atm looking for tips on boat fishing. Did a few hours trolling off Candi but caught little. Is bottom fishing better here?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi guys, in Sanur atm looking for tips on boat fishing. Did a few hours trolling off Candi but caught little. Is bottom fishing better here?
I prefer to generally do most of my fishing off the road in the traditional markets. Often I have very good luck and with almost no effort I bring home a huge fish of some sort to the general acclamation of anyone that gets a piece. I can recommend it - the old "spend all day in a boat with a beer" is much easier and the beers are colder on land.

Reactions: JackStraw

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
Where’s your sense of adventure Markit, that hunter gatherer spirit? You against the elements, braving wind and wild seas, the tug on the line, the battle to land the twisting turning prey and then the joy and pride landing prize and then smashing its head in ( I added those last somewhat gruesome words to add a little balance ). Hemingway’s Old Man and the Sea is required reading.
Or you could, as I do when in Lipah,I go down to the beach at 5.30 am and buy the fish directly from the fishermen, he rips me off , I save money by not buying it at market price and I bbq that night on the beach. Bliss.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Where’s your sense of adventure Markit, that hunter gatherer spirit? You against the elements, braving wind and wild seas, the tug on the line, the battle to land the twisting turning prey and then the joy and pride landing prize and then smashing its head in ( I added those last somewhat gruesome words to add a little balance ). Hemingway’s Old Man and the Sea is required reading.
Or you could, as I do when in Lipah,I go down to the beach at 5.30 am and buy the fish directly from the fishermen, he rips me off , I save money by not buying it at market price and I bbq that night on the beach. Bliss.
My sense of adventure cools down a lot after hours and hours with sunburn and a badly hurt ass (sitting on wet wood, you pervs) with nothing to show for it.

Actually have seen guys fish all afternoon then buy some fresh catch from the fishermen not to go home empty handed to derision and shame.

*it's on my Kindle

Reactions: sakumabali

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Years ago hoping to do some boat fishing from Bali learned that at that time all the boats had single hulls. A single hull boat that hits a rock or other obstruction penetrating the hull has little chance of making it back to port. That information and the lack of buoyant devices to keep customers afloat soon squelched my desire upon investigating what was then available.
Without the protection of legal requirements for charter boat operators, and no ability for your heirs to bring lawsuit against them is another factor, and there have been numerous incidents of boats sinking with loss of survivors if not in Bali certainly elsewhere in Nusa Tenggara
Not wanting to provide bad news to your aspirations, and certainly still interested myself would appreciate if you learn that things have changed.

Reactions: sakumabali

Ginand T

Sep 30, 2019
Years ago hoping to do some boat fishing from Bali learned that at that time all the boats had single hulls. A single hull boat that hits a rock or other obstruction penetrating the hull has little chance of making it back to port. That information and the lack of buoyant devices to keep customers afloat soon squelched my desire upon investigating what was then available.
Without the protection of legal requirements for charter boat operators, and no ability for your heirs to bring lawsuit against them is another factor, and there have been numerous incidents of boats sinking with loss of survivors if not in Bali certainly elsewhere in Nusa Tenggara
Not wanting to provide bad news to your aspirations, and certainly still interested myself would appreciate if you learn that things have changed.
Of course things have changed. You buy a life jacket. Wear it in the single hulled boat and sit on it whilst purched on wet wood so your arse doesnt get sore.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Of course things have changed. You buy a life jacket. Wear it in the single hulled boat and sit on it whilst purched on wet wood so your arse doesnt get sore.
OR go to the market and buy the fecking fish and then spend quality time sitting somewhere nice drinking cold beer looking at young women (or old ones if that floats your single hulled boat).

Reactions: Balifrog

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
What's wrong with shore casting?

I saw a torpedo like device advertised recently to which the fisher person attaches his baited hook, and sends it seawards. It is controlled by a mobile phone, and drops the hook as far from the beach as the fisher person chooses.

This is the device.........

Last edited:

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I saw a torpedo like device advertised recently to which the fisher person attaches his baited hook, and sends it seawards. It is controlled by a mobile phone, and drops the hook as far from the beach as the fisher person chooses.

This is the device.........

A bit like the old dayz grenade or dynamite fishing ?

Depth charges were pretty efficient as well !

• Haha
Reactions: RossM

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
thanks a bunch for 10 minutes of my life I will never get back!

Feckers went to all that trouble and EXPENSE to catch NO FISH. I can do that way cheaper from my couch.

Ginand T

Sep 30, 2019
Right. Got my new rod, reel, lures...pic of girlfriend buying the gear for me. Im set. Old fashioned yet modern, thats me.