Bali Villa Sales

Villas of Bali ™ is the trusted real estate company that offers the most beautiful villas for sale on Bali. Visit our experienced and helpful staff in our office in Seminyak, or search the extensive villa listing online at www.balivillasales.com, providing the most exclusive properties for sale. Villas of Bali ™ stands for quality, integrity and trust. We help you save time and money, while providing you peace of mind of your property related needs. Send us an email to info@villasofbali.com, or call us at +62 878 6249 3526.

1. Welcome Guest to the new look Balipod. If you are an existing member, just sign up with your usual username/password. Any problems you can post them here
    Dismiss Notice

First time living in Bali!

Discussion in 'Bali Expat Forum' started by hisprincess, Feb 12, 2018.

1. hisprincess

hisprincess New Member

Hi everyone,
    So glad to have found these forums!
    My partner and i have started an online business and looking to do a little travelling and first stop will be Bali in the next couple of months. We plan to stay 6 months as we are in the process of looking to apply for a social visa.
    We have so many questions as we have never been there before!
    1. We have heard we can't drink tap water or even wash our teeth with it - what about cooking, is it safe?
    2. Internet, as we work online can anyone recommend what to look for with internet as we need something reliable where we can make daily skype calls for a number of hours a day.
    3. What areas are considered best or safe? We are really quiet people and are not into the party scene.
    4. Are we unrealistic to think we can survive comfortably on $2k a month usd including rent and expenses?
    5. Does anyone know any reliable visa agents that can help us with the sponsors letter and extensions? Have found a few online and emailed but no reply. Also does anyone know how many times one can get a social visa after the initial 60 days and 4 extensions are over?

Anything you can let us to know to look out for or be cautious about please we would so appreciate it.
    We are planning on looking for a home when we arrive there and just stay in a hotel for a week when we arrive.

2. davita

davita Well-Known Member

Hi hisprincess and welcome to the forum
    I'll try an answer and hope others more experienced in areas you are concerned with will also post.

1. It is OK to shower but not really recommended to drink...everyone uses Aqua from bottles. I brush my teeth in tap but probably, until conditioned, you're best to also have a bottle in the bathroom. Cooking with boiled water is OK but again probably best to use the bottle. Nearly all villas use large 19 litre bottle chiller/heater dispensers.
    2. There are many internet providers in Bali, mostly in the habitated area in the south, but it gets a bit spotty further out. There's also 3G and I believe in some areas 4G. I use CBN fiber to my villa in Kerobokan and it's OK.
    3. Avoid Kuta/Legian then...you might like laid-back Sanur as it hosts a mix of senior and more mature visitors but still has a nice beach and entertainment/restaurants etc.
    4. Cannot answer...not knowing your expectations. Food, clothing and transport is fairly cheap. Accommodation can be anything from a rooming house to a villa. After arrival you can see what's available from grocery stores or western frequented pub/restaurant adverts on walls. Any realtor will have a portfolio but they need commission so probably not the best deal. It's a buyer/renter market as a lot available.
    5. I've used Bali_Mode for all my visas....(owner..Didik Supriadi) www.balimode-biz.com ....email balimode@hotmail.com. He has offices in Kuta, Ubud and Jakarta.
    The Sosbud is renewable but requires going to S'pore, or some place outside RI, and return. If over 55 an annual retirement Kitas is available.

hisprincess likes this.
  3. harryopal

harryopal Member

2 Internet speed varies so expect slower speeds than you are used to but I use Skype a lot and it works well here with voice quality generally good calling UK US and Aus. and other parts of Asia.

hisprincess likes this.
  4. SamD

SamD Member

I'd be careful about advertising that you will be running your online business while living in Bali on a Sosbud visa. It is a grey area, but it could be interpreted as working in Bali in breach of your visa. If you do it on the quiet then you should be OK, but I wouldn't be telling people what you are doing.
    Good luck.

hisprincess likes this.