First Melbourne Bali flight in two years

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think many people are excited to see this.

More than 300 people are booked in for the first Jetstar flight out of Melbourne.

Jetstar CEO Gareth Evans said the re-opening of direct flights to Bali signalled the return of "international leisure travel".

"Bali is our biggest and our most important route," he told Today.

Jetstar will initially offer three flights between Melbourne and Bali every week, but the number will grow.

Flights from Sydney and Perth to Bali will begin at the start of April, while Queensland-Bali flights will open in May.

Flights to Vietnam and Japan are also on the cards for April.

"Then a little later on, places like Korea too," Mr Evans said.

"We are continuing to look for other opportunities to fly to new destinations. It feels like we are coming out of the tunnel and people are definitely starting to fly, and fly internationally."

Mr Evans admitted high fuel prices would see the aviation industry look to "recoup" some of the extra cost.

"Overall I think that airlines will have to put prices up to recoup some of the fuel costs," he said.

He also detailed the COVID-19 testing regimen Bali visitors would need.

Travellers will need to undergo a PCR test 48 hours before their departure time, and another one on arrival.

Mr Evans said that would all be organised at the airport.

bal-melbourne-flight.jpg

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
According to flightradar24 the aircraft was a 787-8 with a passenger capacity of 248. Don't know how accurate this is, just interesting.
I wonder how the PCR testing will go? What if a family of 5 traveling together has their 8 year old test +ve? What will happen?
PCR tests are not reliable, they are so sensitive they often return false positives.

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
I arrived today, and my first observation is that it's getting expensive with add ons.

Prior to departure, mandatory travel insurance with covid cover, $183 (medibank) unlimited medical expenses for not just covid , PCR test at the departure airport $80 + $15 parking, VoA A$53, + the exchange rate scam if you don't pay in rupiah A$5.00, PCR test on arrival A$25, PCR test on third day at the hotel A$35, anotherPCR test prior to departure A$35, a total of about A$430 PER PERSON!!

I found covid cover insurance online through Bali Tourism for about $80 after I bought from medibank, but I think that was only covid, not all medical.

It's becoming an expensive vacation for a family.

Last edited:
Reactions: tel522

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
I arrived today, and my first observation is that it's getting expensive with add ons.

Prior to departure, mandatory travel insurance with covid cover, $183 (medibank) unlimited medical expenses for not just covid , PCR test at the departure airport $80 + $15 parking, VoA A$53, + the exchange rate scam if you don't pay in rupiah A$5.00, PCR test on arrival A$25, PCR test on third day at the hotel A$35, a total of about A$400 PER PERSON!!

I found covid cover insurance through Bali Tourism for about $80 after I bought from medibank, but I think that was only covid, not all medical.

It's becoming an expensive vacation for a family.
When airlines and travel companies realize they are losing money, watch how quickly the rules change. Follow the money.
I hope so anyway. I may be wrong.

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
When airlines and travel companies realize they are losing money, watch how quickly the rules change. Follow the money.
I hope so anyway. I may be wrong.

I think you're rigt, and some of those costs will disappear, but for different reasons. The tour companies won't have much/any influence.

Repetitive PCR tests will go first, just not necessary. Travel insurance is necessary, but $50,000 minimum covid cover seems excessive now. I normally travel with only my free credit card insurance.

Hopefully in 6 months covid will be a distant memory, as will the cost impositions.

Last edited:

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
I think you're rigt, and some of those costs will disappear, but for different reasons. The tour companies won't have much/any influence.

Repetitive PCR tests will go first, just not necessary. Travel insurance is necessary, but $50,000 minimum covid cover seems excessive now. I normally travel with only my free credit card insurance.

Hopefully in 6 months covid will be a distant memory, and the cost impositions will also.
If there is no more deadly covid mutations .

Reactions: RossM

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
If there is no more deadly covid mutations .

Yes, indeed.

As I understand it the mutations are likely to be more infectious, but less virulent...........that's only 'likely' though.

Let's just hope the worst is over.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Prior to departure, mandatory travel insurance with covid cover, $183 (medibank) unlimited medical expenses for not just covid , PCR test at the departure airport $80 + $15 parking, VoA A$53, + the exchange rate scam if you don't pay in rupiah A$5.00, PCR test on arrival A$25, PCR test on third day at the hotel A$35, anotherPCR test prior to departure A35, a total of about A$430 PER PERSON!!...
@RossM can you clarify the VOA charge? Did you payAU$53 plus AU$5, or did you mean the AU$53 is including a $5 surcharge?

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Not many people in Sydney are buying the bullshit covid restrictions anymore, nobody's using masks even going to Drs or chemists, distancing is out the window, let the world return to normal already. The vaccine scan in things everyone just walked past they never worked.

• Haha
Reactions: Balifrog and RossM

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
@RossM can you clarify the VOA charge? Did you payAU$53 plus AU$5, or did you mean the AU$53 is including a $5 surcharge?

The VoA costs Rp 500,000.

It runs out at $53 + ~$5 because of the poor exchange rate they offer, only Rp 9400 = A$1.

I changed money this morning at PT Central, just over the canal on the road to Denpasar, Rp 9975 = A$1.00. It was the only one I could find open.

I haven't done much riding around yet, but it appears there is very little open. Poppies Lane # 1 is deserted, shutters on all shops, from Bemo Corner to the beach, pics attached, looking up and down from a central point, and very little traffic. I saw one motorcycle on the ~900 metre walk.

That old Kuta landmark, Made's Warung almost on Bemo Corner, is shuttered, but the coffee shop 50 metres from Bemo Corner, on the road to Denpasar, is open, a large coffee Rp46,000, about A$4.50!! Great coffee though.

Edit....Made's IS open, but from 10.00 am.

Matahari is boarded up.

It's been an experience seeing it like this, a little like it was back in 1979 when I first visited.

If you haven't booked, I'd leave it another month or two to spin up, and more shops, restaurants, bars etc., to open.

One thing hasn't changed, my motorcycle still cost $5 a day, the same as it did 43 years ago. Then it was Rp 5,000 a day and exchange rate was Rp1,000 = A$1.00. Now it's Rp 50,000 a day, exchange rate almost Rp10,000 = A$1.00.

Attachments

• 20220317_075630.jpg
    20220317_075630.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220317_075634.jpg
    20220317_075634.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018

It runs out at $53 + ~$5 because of the poor exchange rate they offer, only Rp 9400 = A$1.

I changed money this morning at PT Central, just over the canal on the road to Denpasar, Rp 9975 = A$1.00. It was the only one I could find open.

I haven't done much riding around yet, but it appears there is very little open. Poppies Lane # 1 is deserted, shutters on all shops, from Bemo Corner to the beach, pics attached, looking up and down from a central point, and very little traffic. I saw one motorcycle on the ~900 metre walk.

That old Kuta landmark, Made's Warung almost on Bemo Corner, is shuttered, but the coffee shop 50 metres from Bemo Corner, on the road to Denpasar, is open, a large coffee Rp46,000, about A$4.50!! Great coffee though.

It's been an experience seeing it like this, a little like it was back in 1979 when I first visited.

If you haven't booked, I'd leave it another month or two to spin up, and more shops, restaurants, bars etc., to open.

One thing hasn't changed, my motorcycle still cost $5 a day, the same as it did 43 years ago. Then it was Rp 5,000 a day and exchange rate was Rp1,000 = A$1.00. Now it's Rp 50,000 a day, exchange rate almost Rp10,000 = A$1.00.

People keep asking me when I'm going back to Bali but I feel like I only just left *8th of Feb I flew out*. I keep saying "ball park one year or so", because exactly that, I want to let some money filter through the place, rose tinted glasses off after the first month of arrival the place is pretty fucked at the moment.

Certain things there are way cheaper than here like rent, but the electronics and Chinese import goods are starting to level out price wise in Australia. Like you a lot of things I love about Bali, whipping around on my Nmax filling it for $5, the way faster internet and generally just how easy it is for us bule. But I felt it went kind of dark after covid.

In saying that, I don't have a pension or anything to transfer and I'll still working age. I think if I did my stance might be a bit different on the topic.

Have a great time Ross, some things about Sydney piss me right off but overall I'm preferring it here right now.

I will be back!

Last edited:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali

Thanks, but I still don't understand your reply. So, you paid AU$53 and is that the price that was showing on the official exchange rate board? I know the exchange rate is always terrible through Immigration.

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
Thanks, but I still don't understand your reply. So, you paid AU$53 and is that the price that was showing on the official exchange rate board? I know the exchange rate is always terrible through Immigration.

Well Rp 500,000 was A53.00 at the exchange rate at Immigration, NOT the money changers. If I received the downtown rate the visa would have only been a shade over $50.00.

I handed over $100, and due to the poor exchange rate, compared with what I would have received downtown, the $47 change was only $44 worth of rupiah, so on the visa and change, I did about $5.00, not going to break the bank, but just another annoying cost impost.

Put really simply, it's the difference between the rate Immigration give, and what is available downtown.

I've found the airport money changers give a similar rate to downtown

Last edited:

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
People keep asking me when I'm going back to Bali but I feel like I only just left *8th of Feb I flew out*. I keep saying "ball park one year or so", because exactly that, I want to let some money filter through the place, rose tinted glasses off after the first month of arrival the place is pretty fucked at the moment.

Certain things there are way cheaper than here like rent, but the electronics and Chinese import goods are starting to level out price wise in Australia. Like you a lot of things I love about Bali, whipping around on my Nmax filling it for $5, the way faster internet and generally just how easy it is for us bule. But I felt it went kind of dark after covid.

In saying that, I don't have a pension or anything to transfer and I'll still working age. I think if I did my stance might be a bit different on the topic.

Have a great time Ross, some things about Sydney piss me right off but overall I'm preferring it here right now.

I will be back!

Agree, it is a differemt place, but it may recover to what it was. Who knows? Certainly it seems like a few locals are showing their greed, perhaps trying to make up for a lost 2 1/2 years.

I'll certainly enjoy it, but I spend minimal time on the south coast, Tuban to Canggu, not being a pub and club person, and most in the mountains around Bedugul with occasional excursions to Lovina and Candidasa.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I have booked for 23 April and will stay 4 night at the Granda inna. The exchange rate must go up soon, I have been getting Rp10,475 with wise so the street rate should match that. After being away for two years so much has changed, ATM card has to have a chip so that won't work, have to get my kitap and licence back. While being locked down in Australia too many things have come available in Indonesia at the right price, so will be good to see them and not just video calls.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Agree, it is a differemt place, but it may recover to what it was. Who knows? Certainly it seems like a few locals are showing their greed, perhaps trying to make up for a lost 2 1/2 years.

I'll certainly enjoy it, but I spend minimal time on the south coast, Tuban to Canggu, not being a pub and club person, and most in the mountains around Bedugul with occasional excursions to Lovina and Candidasa.

I have no doubt the older Bali expats will enjoy it, while there is a bar scene at the moment it's not worth going to Bali for unfortunately, of course the bar is not at all that Bali has to offer.

But I've also helped some younger people go for the first time and they hated how much they got harassed to buy stuff and just found the haggling annoying. One girl I know had a iPhone snatched in Canngu and then a few months later a gold chain, that was it for her and Bali.

The PT Dirgahayu money changers are open in Denpasar or at least were when I was there, kuta is probably an extreme example of Bali being "bust", Sanur, Canngu and some other areas functioning like normal.

Out my Mrs way in Candidasa things are still very dire apparently.

Hopefully some money starts to flow on and things stabilise a bit.

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
I have no doubt the older Bali expats will enjoy it, while there is a bar scene at the moment it's not worth going to Bali for unfortunately, of course the bar is not at all that Bali has to offer.

But I've also helped some younger people go for the first time and they hated how much they got harassed to buy stuff and just found the haggling annoying. One girl I know had a iPhone snatched in Canngu and then a few months later a gold chain, that was it for her and Bali.

The PT Dirgahayu money changers are open in Denpasar or at least were when I was there, kuta is probably an extreme example of Bali being "bust", Sanur, Canngu and some other areas functioning like normal.

Out my Mrs way in Candidasa things are still very dire apparently.

Hopefully some money starts to flow on and things stabilise a bit.

PT Central has at least one branch open, today's rate A$1.00 = Rp 10,250, so it's headed back to a reasonable level.

I've been here three days, and I've noticed a marked increase in traffic. Last night, outside my hotel, the local scene was buzzing, food stalls, motorcycles by the thousand.

I don't see many shops open though. The Pasar Seni in Kuta is about 50% open, not much in Kuta Square open, Matahari shuttered, but when Sydney flights start, it will be 6 flights a week from Sydney and Melbourne, almost 2000 pax coming in, along with Singapore flights, things will start to move along....hopefully.

Attachments

• 20220318_064938.jpg
    20220318_064938.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited: