balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Fiji is cheaper than Bali - especially since Jetstar and Virgin's Pacific Blue started flying to Nadi in the past few years - and hours closer to Australia's big east-coast cities than its Indonesian rival but attracts only half the number of Australians to its shores.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Fiji's beaches are arguably cleaner than Bali's and there are more surf breaks in more places but the bustle of the south of Bali island has proved a perennial magnet of greater overall appeal.

The terrorist attacks of 2002 and 2005 aimed at foreigners in Bali fade in the memory as a record number of Australians head for the island.

More than 600,000 of the 2.53 million travellers - about a quarter of all visitors - who landed in Bali last year were Australian, the biggest foreign contingent, overtaking the Japanese.

But Fiji has been breaking records, too. Its overall number of visitors last year was 631,868 people, eclipsing the 542,186 in 2009. Not surprisingly, Australia supplied 318,185, 50.4 per cent of Fiji's total international arrivals for last year and an increase of 28 per cent in the number of Australians who visited in 2009.

The country's tourism numbers have recovered from Fiji's third military coup in 20 years in 2006 and appear untroubled by the military government's declaration last year that it would not hold democratic elections before 2014.

However, at least at the Australian end, tourism appears to be headed for stagnation after the latest spurt.

Moves early last year by Fiji to negotiate an extra 10,000 airline seats a week between Australia and Fiji appear to have become bogged down. A major reason could be the record loss of $34 million last year by Air Pacific, which is majority-owned by the Fijian government. Qantas also announced early last year it wanted to sell its 46.5 per cent share in Air Pacific but there appear to be few takers.

Air Pacific has been battered by new low-cost competition (LCC) from the Virgin Blue group, which briefly operated a 361-seat Boeing 777 on the Sydney-Nadi route last year before reverting to a daily 737-800, and Jetstar, which flies the route four days a week with a 177-seat A320.

The new chief executive of Air Pacific, Dave Pflieger, formerly of Virgin America, declined to comment.

Fiji traditionally has favoured the "value-added" option of what it believes are competitive holiday prices, including air and land. In an email exchange with Traveller, the chief executive of Tourism Fiji, Josefa Tuamoto, indicates he thinks cheap airfares are not "the be-all and end-all".

Read more: Fiji versus Bali as a tourist destination | Crunch the island numbers

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
We haven't lived in Fiji but have spent a lot of time there. My husband did a lot of work in Fiji and was often there for weeks at a time. We both love Fiji and the Fijian people. One of the things the Fijian government got right is limiting land ownership to the Fijians. From memory I think Fiji is about 50% Indian. Not sure.
Generalizing, the Fijians own the land and the Indians own the businesses.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Hermit there is nothing wrong with Indians, But most holiday travelers like to go to different counties to experience different things, people go to Bali to experience Balinese & there culture. Now if you tried the same thing in Fiji you would get Indians not Fijians & thats why Fiji will never out do Bali in the tourist stakes. The last coup in Fiji was about Indians having to much power over Fijian people. I think Fiji is a beautiful place but should be controlled by the Fijian people.

Last edited:

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Hermit there is nothing wrong with Indians, But most holiday travelers like to go to different counties to experience different things, people go to Bali to experience Balinese & there culture. Now if you tried the same thing in Fiji you would get Indians not Fijians & thats why Fiji will never out do Bali in the tourist stakes. The last coup in Fiji was about Indians having to much power over Fijian people. I think Fiji is a beautiful place but should be controlled by the Fijian people.

So,if i follow your reasoning,it would be a good thing for tourism if a relocation-ban was imposed on people from other islands ,forbidding them to live in Bali.
The situation in Fiji seems to be comparable to that in Indonesia,just substitute chinese in the place of indians.It is true they hold massive commercial power here.
But like it or not,the reality in most countries is that there is an ethnic kaleidoscope.
Most chinese in indonesia come from families that have lived here for at least a century.Former president Gus Dur ,the only president after Suharto that dared to take controversial decisions,was right to give the chinese back their civil rights.
Maybe one day even bule will be accepted as part of the ethnic kaleidoscope in Indonesia.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Hermit I don't think there is 150 million Chinese living in Indonesia, but I could be wrong.:icon_rolleyes:
I think that a ban would make a lot of Balinese & tourist happy. What is the different between Bali & lombok, Java, yet most people pick Bali for there holidays.
There is only Fijian & Indians in Fiji

Last edited:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Maybe it's 15 million. After a quick Google I have not found the figure, but have found bit that suggest most Indonesian Chinese are Buddhist or Christian, and I found figures that show that Catholic + Protestant + Buddhist is roughly 10% of population - around 24 million. So 15 million as the number of ethnically Chinese seems plausible if it is true that most Chinese are not Muslim.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
The best I have found is 2003, 7.5 million Chinese in Indonesia. In my street in Surabaya there is only 1 Muslim family the rest apart from me are Chinese. Christian Church's everywhere & Chinese schools & banks on every corner.:icon_mrgreen:

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Hermit I don't think there is 150 million Chinese living in Indonesia, but I could be wrong.:icon_rolleyes:
I think that a ban would make a lot of Balinese & tourist happy. What is the different between Bali & lombok, Java, yet most people pick Bali for there holidays.
There is only Fijian & Indians in Fiji

I compared the economic power of both groups,not the numbers.
In both countries the reason for resentment and violence.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
The best I have found is 2003, 7.5 million Chinese in Indonesia. In my street in Surabaya there is only 1 Muslim family the rest apart from me are Chinese. Christian Church's everywhere & Chinese schools & banks on every corner.:icon_mrgreen:

Man...Babi pangang must be easy to find in your neck of the woods :icon_wink:
overhere babi-guling everywhere but a nice babi-pangang, forget about it...:icon_cry:

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Interesting thread, I didn´t knew that Fiji is cheaper than Bali..

Its not, maybe flights and accommodation are but the amount of money you would save on food, alcohol, transport, shopping, day trips, massages, poontang (if you need it) etc would more than make up for it. Remember Sanjay charges a lot more than Komang for a bag of chips and a can of Cola.

Last edited: