spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Cable is currently being put in along the main road between Singarja and Lovina and according to a guy from speedy it is fiber. He said it will be available in homes from 2014. Of course I will believe it when I see it, but it sounds promising.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
When I first came to Bali in 2008 they were busy burying the orange fiber cable all over the island then - unfortunately that was the last anyone saw of it.

Does anyone else remember that - I sometimes think I may have been hallucinating?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
The internet backbone before 2008 was microwave links between towers. That big rollout of cable was building a fibre based backbone which they said would take 3 years. Fibre connections to homes are not part of the plan and would be a waste of time and money. I have no idea how much of that big rollout is now in use.

Lovegrove

Feb 7, 2013
Karangasem
Ok, now I can finally respond, have had some issues with this, respond to forum, like i have been gagged, you know Markit, in the topic, all I can say is the day I get a phone line to my house, and even a chance at a wifi connection, hell will freeze over, I am a patient ma'am, but it isn't happening any where near here soon awwwwwww

Robsail

Jun 21, 2012
Hey , I have fiber straight to my house in Canggu .Had it for nearly a year now , good speeds ,much more reliable than satellite . ISP Global extreme . Obviously it depends on where they have their cable running....Hope you are lucky enough to have it past your door , soon!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
None, I think but it's good to know I wasn't imagining it.

My guess is that it is in use. The network of microwave links had capacity limits, yet the mobile phone usage was increasing relentlessly. They needed new capacity and I expect they are using many of the fibre backbone links - maybe not all.

Robsail

Jun 21, 2012
Or the other option is .......... Markit , come over for a cuppa and enjoy the NEED FOR SPEED! :)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Many thanks for the invite but I'm afraid it would just make me desperately unhappy with my present provider. As long as I don't know that other people are much better off I don't mind chugging along in the slow lane really. Well, actually, I do but with sufficient Bintang and scotch I get over the pain.

But the cuppa sounds good.

hca

Nov 20, 2011
Buleleng
Markit,

Have you investigated the phone towers in your area recently? It seems to be one area where they are always upgrading capacity,we have got 3.5 mbt nominal of a Telomsel tower with some tricked up directional thumbstick modem antennas in the hills 7 km behind Seririt. There are no land lines let alone fiber up there.

Problem is not all towers run the HSPDA highspeed service and some that do don't seem to have the backbone capacity behind them, but finding the right one amd locking onto it and its pretty good. We pay 400k a month for a proper card with no limits.

If you want to check out our setup your most welcome to come over. Beer in the fridge but not much chance of cheese.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi HCA thanks for the info and the invite - I saw your other thread/post about the HSDPA protocols and I have to admit it did spike my interest but I'm still trying to figure out how to find out if the local towers here in Amlapura have that or not. I have a suspicion that if I go to the local Telekomsel orifice they would have no clue what I'm on about - been there before and they are lovely people and ever so helpful but not much idea about anything.

I always trust people with beer on offer.

You list your location(s) as Sanur and Sererit - lucky you or confused?

hca

Nov 20, 2011
Buleleng
I have a suspicion that if I go to the local Telekomsel orifice they would have no clue what I'm on about - been there before and they are lovely people and ever so helpful but not much idea about anything.
Markit,
I figure we've both been around here long enough to not be surprised about that. You will find no answers in an orifice or from their service guys who call at your place, last one we had in over Sanur when the ADSL was playing up did not know where the phone line went let alone what a phone exchange was when asked how long the ADSL phone line was. He did however know was how to program a replacement modem he had with him at a premium price, and I cant fault the old one then or now but after he called both work fine...Wonders of the world!...

What I did was a bit of "war driving" as the wifi guys call it. Stick a thumb stick modem in a lappy and drive around the district while monitoring the connection mode and testing the speed. These thumb stick modems have a program in them they install which shows the connection status and a code for the tower you are connected to. Quite often they will show "edge" "wdcma" which is not the supposed 7gbts connection they advertise as the normal, for that it needs to be "HSPDA". i can only suggest take a drive an sus out the district where you might get a signal from if you sent some one up your palm tree and install an antennae on a bit of pipe in the top.

I found while traveling between our pads in Sanur and Seririt (yes lucky not confused) with a lappy, the mode and thus capacity of the towers varied all along the way regardless of signal strength. As I understand it a tower providing edge only does the old GPRS at 9600 bd, if the modem is not forced to HSPDA only it can jump from one weak HSPDA tower and back to a strong edge tower causing lousy results and the user is none the wiser as to why.

I can say from observations on Telkomsel, there are lots of towers around Seririt but right now only the one in the centre of town has the HSPDA. I suspect its the only one hooked to the fibre and Alampura district might be a similar situation.

The ultimate bummer is a HSPDA tower with a lousy backbone capacity. I think this is because a tower in a major town is on the fibre network, then they use little microwave links that jump from tower to tower to hook ones further out back the network. Get on the end of this setup and its not much chop because these days every kid in the kampong has an internet empowered phone at 4pm when schools out.

Not always a cheap solution, in our case we spent 20+jt on a 30 mtr tower to clear our teak trees and the crest of the hill to make the 7km link to the HSPDA tower in Seririt rather than the local edge tower. Maybe next year the local tower gets upgrades and our 30mtr tower is for nothing, so it goes in Bali..

Yes beer normally cold as well to but if not there's always a crate of warm on the ready, but I have met some untrustworthy buggers with beer!!

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'll have to build up to that sort of action.

Also I wonder if I really give a that much of a fuck anymore about the internet and should maybe develop a hobby for small brown Balinese women instead. I would bet they could get my tower up cheaper than you did yours?