spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
My mum was supposed to be arriving in Bali today and has just realized her passport will expire in less than 6 months :icon_eek: She boarded a flight in Melbourne and the airline picked it up in Sydney.

I think the airline is going to put them up in a hotel in Sydney. Anyone know how it will take to process?

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
If she pays a priority fee and she doesn't want a frequent traveler passport, they will do it the same day at the Sydney passport office. Frequent traveler passports take 3 days, as they are produced in Canberra.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
My mum was supposed to be arriving in Bali today and has just realized her passport will expire in less than 6 months :icon_eek: She boarded a flight in Melbourne and the airline picked it up in Sydney.

I think the airline is going to put them up in a hotel in Sydney. Anyone know how it will take to process?

I got my sons done in one morning that was January.

Sydney passport office
Level 7, 26 Lee Street (near Central Station)
Sydney NSW

Just go to passport office and wait she will need to arrive before opening at 8.30am and wait for cancellation.
They will tell you they have no appointments BUT JUST WAIT..
My ex arrived before they opened with my son application was already filled out with pics witnesses signatures etc etc
She was THIRD in the queue. she got taken with him at 9.30am
Had passport by midday but he was too late to come with us and didn't come till following day.
Passport office called me 11.30am(while i was checking in at airport )to verify as he was under 16y/o.
Make sure no mistakes on application form and signatures are within box . I made a mistake regarding the witness signature and had to stop at post office and just grabbed someone to witness signature then faxed it from post office.
Another person at head of queue who flew in from Melbourne night before couldn't get the documentation and had to get someone to break into their home and fax it to Sydney. So its important to have all the documentation

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Does anyone know why if you are just going to Indonesia for 10 days you need 120 + days on that passport before renewal date?

It makes less sense than usual here but maybe I'm just getting sensitive.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Does anyone know why if you are just going to Indonesia for 10 days you need 120 + days on that passport before renewal date?

It makes less sense than usual here but maybe I'm just getting sensitive.

You actually need 6 months.
Makes no sense whatsoever my son had 5 months on his passport and rang the airline they said they wouldnt let him board as they are then responsible for sending him home

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
for Australian passport holders many overseas countries require you to have at least 6 months validity. I doubt many countries allow tourist type visas for stays of that duration. No I don't know why.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
It seems some Australians think it onerous to have at least 6 months validity in their passports to visit Indonesia on a VOA or Tourist Visa.

According to the Australian Immigration website the following is required from an Indonesian wishing to visit Australia....

"Each applicant, including dependent children, must apply on their own form.

The visa application fee. See 301 Moved Permanently
Certified true copy by our Service Delivery Partner (Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC)) of the biodata and visa pages of your passport.
One recent passport sized photo of the visa applicant.
Birth certificates and for Indonesian nationals, a copy of your family card (Kartu Keluarga) and a copy of your Identification card (KTP).
Form 956 / 956A if you are authorising other party to communicate with DIAC.
If you are employed, evidence of your employment. This is usually a statement on company letterhead from your employer stating your job role, length of employment, salary, and the period of approved leave. If your employer is financially supporting your visit, this should also be mentioned on the reference letter. If you are self-employed, you need to provide evidence of your business ownership (such as the business registration or shareholder’s certificate).
If someone is supporting your application, a supporting letter from this person outlining the purpose of your visit, the length of your stay, the nature of your relationship with them, and the type of support they will provide (eg. financial, accommodation etc). If this person is in Australia, evidence of their status (eg. copy of Australian passport/visa).
Evidence that you have enough money (funds) or access to enough money to support yourself (and any family members travelling with you) for your stay. For example, a current bankbook or bank statements for the last 3 months. Cash or credit cards are NOT sufficient evidence of funds.
If you are under 18 years old and:
Travelling without both of your parents, Form 1229 and parents’ copy of identification cards; or
Travelling with one of your parent, Form 1229 and this parent copy of identification card.
If you are over 75 years old, medical examination (form 26) from our Panel Doctor and Travel Insurance covering period of your proposed stay in Australia.
Any other evidence which supports your application.
In some cases, you may be requested by us to do a medical check. See the health requirements webpage for full details.
For Business Visitor stream: An invitation letter from the Australian business/organisation who are supporting your visit, which states why you are required to be in Australia, and what you will do in Australia.
For Tourist stream: If you are visiting a relative or other family member in Australia – evidence of your relationship with that person. For example: marriage certificate(s), birth certificate(s), statement detailing the nature of relationship, or a combination of these documents.'

edit: Other countries in Asia requiring 6 months passport validity....
The six-month validity requirement is quite common on the Asian continent. Among other countries, Burma (Myanmar), China (including Hong Kong and Macau), Laos, Indonesia and Malaysia require six months' validity from the date of entry. India requires at least six months' validity from the date a traveler applies for an Indian visa.

Last edited:

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
Sorry, correct of course, I did mean 180 days but since living here I seem to have lost all relationship with calendars/days/months/time. I think the Bermuda triangle is over my house sometimes.

That's a good thing ya?

As for the whole passport thing, in Oz your
fee for renewing your passport with e.g. 5 months left is discounted by that amount of time. It's not only Indonesia that subscribe to this B.S.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney

How did your mother go?