Fast Boat Service from the Gilis

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021

Just curious, does anyone know what's driving this change? I went back and read the article twice, but did not see the reason for conducting the trial.
The local transfer between Gili Islands and mainland Lombok (Bangsal) is mandated to use Karya Bahari Cooperative (read: cartel) public boats.
So what is driving this change. Simple, just follow the money; the Lombok mainland locals in/around Bangsal want to be part of the tourist cash flow.
I'm quite sure a few officials have been "persuaded" to accept this non-sense arrangement increasing travel time and cost.

This is a safety isue as well as the boats between Gilli Island and Bangsal are smaller making trips hazardeous in rough weather. See example:
(use google translate if needed)

Another "benefit" for tourists is that Bangsal is a well know tourist rip-off jetty (just refer to google reviews and check out 1 star (honest) reviews).

Reactions: YachtRock

Chris A

Jun 16, 2021
The local transfer between Gili Islands and mainland Lombok (Bangsal) is mandated to use Karya Bahari Cooperative (read: cartel) public boats.
So what is driving this change. Simple, just follow the money; the Lombok mainland locals in/around Bangsal want to be part of the tourist cash flow.
I'm quite sure a few officials have been "persuaded" to accept this non-sense arrangement increasing travel time and cost.

The added "benefit" for tourists is that Bangsal is a well know tourist rip-off jetty (just refer to google reviews and check out 1 star (honest) reviews).
Okay, kind of what I figured. Some things never change....... Thanks for your reply and insight!

Reactions: YachtRock