Facepalm Bali Style

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
RI recently introduced new color scheme (white instead of black plates) to ease the detection for the traffic enforcement cameras.

They must have forgotten that their registration database is not always reflecting the true owner of vehicle. In Jakarta the rich and famous often register they Rolls, Bentley and Ferraris etc. on their unsuspected security guards or drivers in order to avoid having to pay the (steep) annual tax. One of these Ferrari "owners" was tracked down to a small kampung without road access for other than motorbikes.

Now the plan is to start using cameras for collecting road tolls as well. Oh well. Enter more chaos.

Reactions: tel522

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Actually, this new system will help to straighten out the convoluted ownership of vehicles here. Many buyers do not carry out on a transfer of title to avoid paying the vehicle transfer tax, denying the government of much needed tax revenue. Now, I imagine most sellers (if they are the original, registered owner) will insist on title transfer as part of the deal, so they don't get stuck with the buyer's traffic fines in the future. And pity the poor original owner whose vehicle has been sold on many times. He/she will be the poor schmuck stuck paying the fines from some unknown 'owner' of 'their' vehicle, just like in the article shared by Markit.

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
The fine, upstanding, well slightly bowed, member who bought my wonderful Suzi made a panto out of getting the damned thing transferred from the original owners name over to his (his bother-in-law(sp)) name, which I never bothered to do. So thought this might amuse as it's another facepalm for Indo idiocy: https://thebalisun.com/new-traffic-control-system-in-bali-is-handing-out-fines-to-wrong-drivers/
Haven't done it yet so does that mean I can run red lights and speed with impunity :)

Cheers
Off the Hook
Ken

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Seems that way. I expect after the first 5 or 6 fines the first owner will be contacting you and begging ($?) for you to change it...