gadogado

Nov 4, 2013
Hi Newbie here...
I seem to have an overwhelming desire to have a slightly extended stay in Bali, so that my husband, our 5 yo dtr and I can immerse ourselves in the language and culture as best we can.

We would be looking only at one Australian school terms worth, so about 10-12 weeks-ish.

Have been reading on here about the visa procedures etc.... very interesting..
Would like to know if anyone has hired a Bahahsa Indonesia tutor in the home, the "go to" places for short term , but not holiday rentals..., We have considered Sanur as an area to stay but are open to suggestions, but really want to "live" as opposed to holiday in Bali, though I am sure some exploring would be involved.

Really keen to get a handle on the cost of living in general actually.

Anyhoo, any info/advice is welcomed.....

Thanks in advance.......
:icon_e_biggrin:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Welcome Gadogado, I am sure you will find it easy to do 12 weeks or so. There are many places in Bali, they are quite different from each other, and advocates will wax lyrical about their favourite spot. But for what you want to do - I think Sanur would be a good place to start.

There is a section of this forum devoted to Costs of Living - Costs of Living in Bali

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Hi Newbie here...
I seem to have an overwhelming desire to have a slightly extended stay in Bali, so that my husband, our 5 yo dtr and I can immerse ourselves in the language and culture as best we can.

We would be looking only at one Australian school terms worth, so about 10-12 weeks-ish.

Would like to know if anyone has hired a Bahahsa Indonesia tutor in the home, the "go to" places for short term , but not holiday rentals..., We have considered Sanur as an area to stay but are open to suggestions, but really want to "live" as opposed to holiday in Bali, though I am sure some exploring would be involved.

Thanks in advance.......

Hello

If you are looking for a truly Balinese experience, I maybe able to help you.

My family live in a banjar in Tampak Siring, about 20/30 mins drive north of Ubud. I am Scottish and my wife is Balinese and we live in Australia. We visit Bali every year and stay in our parent's compound where they built an "en-suite" room for us. Now, if you are thinking about a luxury room with all mod-cons then you will be disappointed. There is a bed, a table, a shower/toilet cubicle and that is about it. The shower is cold water only and the toilet (western style) is not proper flushing, you need to use the bucket as per usual Balinese custom. The room has electricity and you can get internet access although it is a bit slow in my experience. There is no air-con but you don't need it anyway since TS is at a high enough altitude to be relatively cool most of the year. In June/July it can get quite chilly at night.

The village itself is not on the tourist map at all, although Tampak Siring does have some tourism mainly due to the temple. But it is not a tourist destination in itself, if you stay in Tampak Siring you are living in the true Bali, away from the madness of Kuta/Seminyak/Sanur (OK, Sanur is pretty quiet, but it is still a tourist town). If you are lucky, there may be some village celebration that you can attend at the temple. I have some videos of these and you won't find better entertainment anywhere in Bali.

If you require privacy, then this is not the place for you. It took me quite a while to accustom myself to this aspect of life in Bali but now I am comfortable with it. Also, if you are light sleepers, then be prepared for some sleepless nights - the dogs and roosters are world class!

Anyway, if I have whetted your appetite for a real Balinese experience, then get back to me via this board.

Regards
Sam

gadogado

Nov 4, 2013
Hi guys,
Thanks so much for your help
Thanks Ronb for the link and Sam, that sounds amazing, but sadly probably too raw for our 5yo ...
You have painted such a colourful picture in my mind.
We have Balinese friends in Canggu and love being invited tontheir community. We are always in awe of their happiness whilst living such a simple life.
Anyway.... will continue our research....
Thanks again...much appreciated

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
I think the rawness may be too much for mum and dad, a 5yo would revel in it....besides they do not care much about anything at that age, they just go with the flow.

gadogado

Nov 4, 2013
Oh!, do you know my family ?
I am left wondering how your comments are helpful in answering my questions ?
Is it that you have succumb to the nature of this forum which has previously attacked you verbally when you had questions?!, and have found to antagonise is way more fun than to be helpful?....
If you have nothing helpful to say samsiam, then please refrain....

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
First rule of forum life.....don't be so over sensitive.

If you and dad can hack it and would love it as you say...then why not do it ?

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
then do it....unless the 5yo rules your house ?

It is not about the 5yo ruling the house as it is about when you are a parent of a 5yo you have the responsibility to put their interests ahead of your own.

I commend anyone who puts their dream of living on Bali on hold in the best interests of their child.

Last edited:

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
'It is too raw for our 5yo'.....is what they said and a 5yo's education can start anywhere...its not like they are learning pye squared equals whatever it is supposed to equal just yet.

I actually commend any parent that takes their kids out of the normal stale environments and lets them explore and experience life...a whole lot of different life.

My kids have and will continue to in a very big way.

Anyway...up to them, no biggy....Kuta will always be there.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
'It is too raw for our 5yo'.....is what they said and a 5yo's education can start anywhere...its not like they are learning pye squared equals whatever it is supposed to equal just yet.

My kids have and will continue to in a very big way.

Anyway...up to them, no biggy....Kuta will always be there.

Hmmm. samsiam, you are courting the flamers aren't you?
The woman said 'too raw for her 5yo' no doubt she also had in mind, absence of pure drinking water, certain presence of malaria &/or other tropical diseases, availability of doctors, unfamiliarity with language... and all the other things that go with kampung life.

You may
actually commend any parent that takes their kids out of the normal stale environments and lets them explore and experience life...a whole lot of different life.
but as Rangi says NOT at the RISK of her own child.

I suggest you stick to trying to figure out your visa issues (which really aren't that complicated) before dolling out lifestyle platitudes to total strangers (no wonder you had issues on the other forum... anal? my ass!

gadogado

Nov 4, 2013
Hmmm. samsiam, you are courting the flamers aren't you?
The woman said 'too raw for her 5yo' no doubt she also had in mind, absence of pure drinking water, certain presence of malaria &/or other tropical diseases, availability of doctors, unfamiliarity with language... and all the other things that go with kampung life.

You may but as Rangi says NOT at the RISK of her own child.

I suggest you stick to trying to figure out your visa issues (which really aren't that complicated) before dolling out lifestyle platitudes to total strangers (no wonder you had issues on the other forum... anal? my ass!

Finally the voices of reason !!!!

Oh and BTW ...I have never been to Kuta .....

Last edited:

gadogado

Nov 4, 2013
So to get back to the original questions..... where I do believe I talked about immersing in the culture "as much as possible"..... is anyone able to offer any actual answers, as opposed to antagonism ?

Hi Newbie here...

Thanks in advance.......

And we have no issue in taking our dtr out of school.... life education is as valuable, if not more so than, the classroom.....after all she isn't in uni..... we want her to experience another culture, we have already begun to do so Samsiam, if you had bothered reading the post to Samd properly. A lot of assumptions have been made on your part. I read the visa thread and to think I actually felt bad for you !!!!!

Last edited:

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
I'd go for Sanur. Plenty of choice for schools. No traffic jams as you get in Seminyak and surroundings and a nice expat community with many families with young children.

gadogado

Nov 4, 2013
Thanks both,
yes , no intention of staying in legian/kuta. At the risk of offending, and that is not my intention, that isn't what I consider to be "real" Bali.
We have spent some awesome trips in Sanur and Ubud in homestays and a last year were lucky enough to have Oka Wati invite our dtr to learn how to make up offerings, the correct hand usage, helping with the blessings etc. We are encouraging her learning of Indonesian, and I particularly want to learn the language too , not only for myself, but to foster her love for the culture and language. It brings a lot of peace to our lives :)

Balibule, do you stay in Sanur? Is this an area that you are familiar with ? Just curious to know if know of any indonesian speaking tutors and apart from the Bali Advertiser, where good places to find short term rentals would be ?

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Thanks both,
yes , no intention of staying in legian/kuta. At the risk of offending, and that is not my intention, that isn't what I consider to be "real" Bali.
We have spent some awesome trips in Sanur and Ubud in homestays and a last year were lucky enough to have Oka Wati invite our dtr to learn how to make up offerings, the correct hand usage, helping with the blessings etc. We are encouraging her learning of Indonesian, and I particularly want to learn the language too , not only for myself, but to foster her love for the culture and language. It brings a lot of peace to our lives :)

Balibule, do you stay in Sanur? Is this an area that you are familiar with ? Just curious to know if know of any indonesian speaking tutors and apart from the Bali Advertiser, where good places to find short term rentals would be ?

https://www.airbnb.com/