Paul-felix Montez

Aug 16, 2015
Expat Artists, writers, intellectuals etc. living in Bali, loves, hates, difficulties, hang outs, groups and where to connect and live cheaply to create. Those who need intellectual exchanges, ideas etc. and arts and cultural friends living long term in Bali.

Paul-felix Montez

Aug 16, 2015
I am seeking information about Expat artists creatives etc. Best places to live and create that have "long term" expat artist living there. Also long term arts groups, contemporary versus tourist galleries, workshops, organizations etc. Tourism, and the come and go crowd may be interesting, but I do not drink and prefer creativity, ideas, sharing creativity, ideas, methods and long term friendship with creative minds and thinkers. Love to hear about this part of Bali for expats lifestyle.

Paul-felix Montez

Aug 16, 2015
.....an Artist that doesn't drink - WOW!

Well did in my twenties. Got boring getting tired out, and the art got to exciting to do, so gradually whatever inspired madeness I undertook, I was willing to accept be inspired, and take full responsibility for. Thanks for your comment, I enjoy the humor of it. But nope , no plans on cutting off my ear in a drunken or drugged state of madness.

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
I enjoy the humor of it. But nope , no plans on cutting off my ear in a drunken or drugged state of madness.

ptfxc.jpg

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I've never taken blue pills...nor, for that matter, white pills...... but have drank many glasses/boxes/drums of wine/beer and NEVER cut an ear...even when shaving.

Others must be living in one helluve funny world compared to mine!

Paul-felix Montez

Aug 16, 2015
I've never taken blue pills...nor, for that matter, white pills...... but have drank many glasses/boxes/drums of wine/beer and NEVER cut an ear...even when shaving.

But the joys of drinking or not can wait. What centers for art, where do all the long term artists hang out, live work etc. General costs in these areas?

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
But the joys of drinking or not can wait. What centers for art, where do all the long term artists hang out, live work etc. General costs in these areas?

Probably where all the hippies are. .. As far as I know they are mainly all in Ubud but someone may know better than me.

Paul-felix Montez

Aug 16, 2015
Ubud? HAS ANYONE BEEN THERE EXPLORED UBUD?

Probably where all the hippies are. .. As far as I know they are mainly all in Ubud but someone may know better than me.

Has anyone explored UBUD? Costs, hippies? Hippies can be fun, provided mentioning the universe and angels three times in one sentence can get redundant and empty. Mopuntainous region I am told and will look it up.

G

Gurkha

You shave your ears?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
You shave your ears?

You boast about being a trained soldier and marksman but according to your above comment I question your power of observation...have you not noticed my pictorial avatar...:distant:

Paul-felix Montez

Aug 16, 2015
Van gogh is but one method of living and creating

You shave your ears?

When I can. But seriously, and I doubt now that the silly fun has begun, that you guys will let that drop. Certainly I have presented myself as a target for such jokes, put my foot in my mouth, and that statement alone could open up endless more possibilities too. But I posted originally in this thread, the need and sharing of "arts related" information in Bali, versus "fun in any bar or tavern one can have and the laughs that can be realized over a few drink, even if it's only iced tea.". If possible can we stay on topic?

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
If you're interested in more contemporary style of artistic endeavour then you might try 'Deus Ex Machina' in Canggu. They're not just about motorbiking hipsters.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
intellectuals etc. Those who need intellectual exchanges, ideas.

Paul, I am sorry to tell you that you hit rock bottom with your opening post. You will get the "etc" here and possibly a few "ideas". However I fear the intellectual exchanges are long past any of us.
Mind you I do know the football scores and can open a beer bottle with my teeth (sadly I can not remember where I put my damn teeth a few nights back)

davita

Mar 13, 2012
When I can. But seriously, and I doubt now that the silly fun has begun, that you guys will let that drop. Certainly I have presented myself as a target for such jokes, put my foot in my mouth, and that statement alone could open up endless more possibilities too. But I posted originally in this thread, the need and sharing of "arts related" information in Bali, versus "fun in any bar or tavern one can have and the laughs that can be realized over a few drink, even if it's only iced tea.". If possible can we stay on topic?

Paul...firstly Gurkha was taking a swipe at me with his funny "you shave your ears?"....not you...so please chill..:icon_cool:
Secondly, you asked a serious question so a serious response is warranted.....
I've seen in the Bali Advertiser they have a half page for meetings of all types of clubs.... charities, Alcohol Anonymous, drug rehab, gardening clubs and religious groups. Sadly have not seen a meeting of Mensa....maybe you can start one as advertising is free in Bali Advertiser.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Never said I was a trained marksman - I'm a natural marksman!

OK. I cannot edit my previous post but should have said....."You boast about being a trained soldier and a marksman"....to reflect your obvious genius and brilliant talent.

Going off to have my ears shaved again.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
Now that would make for an interesting charcoal sketching session davita. 'Still life, still with ears.' or 'Wookie and aural alopecia areata.'
But seriously folks. Tell us what you find Paul-felix. The Ubud area is rich with artistic desire and one should remember that the concept of art is a concept that is relatively new to Bali. Carving, dance, music and painting were not necessarily considered 'artistic' endeavours by Balinese but ways of story telling or in the case of painting (a transient craft) a form of advertising for the next local event or whatever. other disciplines were part of everyday life and death and were instructional in values and conduct within Balinese culture. This doesn't mean of course that the skill level wasn't anything less, it just wasn't performed or created through our western conceptualising of what art is. Paintings or pictographic displays were presented on organic materials that once having served the purpose would rot away or be thrown away to rot. Balinese art as we know it today was a result of the colonialist Dutch and their ham-fisted, patriarchal desire to preserve Balinese culture whilst attempting to 'Calvinise' and thereby save the heathen soul. I'm sure as an interested artist that is interested in Bali you would be aware of Walter Spies and his legacy of the introduction of the 'artistic' ethos.
I'm no expert and I'm no artist but I know what I like. Prints of 'Shaved Wookie Ears' could become the next big thing. Hey davita, you could be hanging in the Louvre!
:icon_eek: