Expat property developer gives advice on investing in Bali

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
From quick check on olx.co.id: 9,000+ villas/homes available for sale in Bali. Ok maybe a minority of these are targeting ‘investors’. Looking at another site that focus more on ‘investors’ (kibarer): 600+ leasehold villas and 400+ freehold villas for sale and 330+ for long term rent. Should be sufficient so ‘investing’ in building another villa in Bali seems to be a poor idea at the moment. ‘ROI pf 30-40%’ as mentioned by the dude in the video is pie in the sky.

From Sanur experience: a lot of villas on offer for rental, but few that are any good for long term living. I have spotted some new ones on the market recently: Nothing spectacular, not even a garden. Still asking for 400k rent per year or leasehold sale price of around 10Milyar.

Ridicules land prices in the south is forcing good sized plots to be sub-divided resulting in tiny garden free villas often facing neighbour windowless concrete walls 2-3 floors tall. That is BS.

My 'investing' approach: ‘Money is required to make money’, hence I prefer liquid ‘investments’ that can quickly be transferred into / out of cash position. I prefer to rent a villa here in Bali. Low risk and easy to get out fast.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Good points @AuroraB. He seemed to make a point about renting land from farmers which showed no respect to them and no thought given to the loss of agricultural land.

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Good points @AuroraB. He seemed to make a point about renting land from farmers which showed no respect to them and no thought given to the loss of agricultural land.

Interestingly he refers to a lease tenor of 30+20+30 (ie 80) which presumably refers to HGB title held in a company on behalf of the investor.

Now I understood that the paid up capital for a PT-PMA has jumped from 2.5M to 10M since 2021 so this would wipe out almost all but the most expensive of these projects and certainly discourage mom & pop type investors.

I kind of assumed this move was designed to kill off this kind of wheeze.