Nick8081

Dec 15, 2013
Hi there, I'm considering moving to Bali in March and hoping to get some advise before I decide.

1) My biggest question is what is it like living in bali as an expat? Are there lots of expats around and is it easy enough to make friends with people who are staying there for longer than a holiday or backpacking trip?

2) Location recommendations for a young expat? I've been told near seminyak is probably a good place to aim for with lots of expats based there.

3) Average cost for an average 1-2br place per month around that area? I'd be hoping for a 6-8month rental but could rent for 12months if that was the only option.

4) Would $200-300aud per week total be an ok amount to budget for living an average lifestyle (going out 1-2nights)?

5) Any recommendations for places I could work from online? I have been told the Canugg club has a library you can use if you join but haven't found any co working spaces apart from hubud in ubud so far.

I haven't been to Bali for years, however have spend many months traveling other parts of SE Asia and love the culture, people and way of life - so I'm sure I'd love bali just the same.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Ps. I'm interested in bali for the experience, to meet different people, and so I can have some time to work on planning a new business. I'm hoping to save money while there too as I'd be earning my normal $aud wage.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Nick welcome to the forum and Bali since all your questions have been answered ad infinitum (often) please use the Search function. If you still don't understand something then ask.

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali
since all your questions have been answered ad infinitum (often) please use the Search function.

Don’t you just hate that - i’ve been seeing that for as long as this forum has been going with different people. One day you will walk into a bar and ask a question to a mate and he will say “Just google it, the answer is on the net don’t ask me, I am busy on Facebook”.

To quote an old guy on a different subject to Bali, but the same relevance of asking questions - “To raise new questions, new possibilities, to regard old problems from a new angle, requires creative imagination and marks real advance in science.” he was called Albert and lots of people thought he was a bit of a genius. Are your questions not old problems which need new angles with the changes in Bali/Indonesia, the Rupiah and global economy and require creative imagination of the forum members?

This forum is supposed to be about constructive conversation and to help people. The prices in Bali have changed so much just in the last year, so old posts are quite irrelevant in many respects. If the older people on the forum don’t like repeats of old questions then maybe they should change their ways and use their wisdom to help people like you. Old questions, but new answers, as times change. You are asking them because you respect their advice and look forward to their answers. I am not 'taking the pee' out of people saying this to you, just saying maybe they should help, most have lots more experience and better knowledge than me.

Anyway I don’t post much but I will try....

My biggest question is what is it like living in bali as an expat?

I think this varies for everyone based on what you do here and your financial position, aspirations, health, partner status and age. It is a big risk and many don’t succeed. Do build a back door, is my best advice. Read Markit's great thread entitled “Bali or Bust - Some Reasons Why it Does NOT Work” which is near the top at the moment. Personally I don't do scooters have multiple drivers/cars, live well, eat well and do what I want within reason, but Seminyak is beyond me as it would cost a fortune to live the same life style in that area. Also health wise it would definitely not be good as too much influence to indulge. My biggest costs are everything that is western, if I got rid of my western delights then it would be amazingly cheap. But I like satellite TV, wifi, beer, some wine, some western food and going to tourist places - yes the majority of those restaurants are for tourists unless they are plastic chairs only occupied 99% by Indonesians. I have a Balinese family so do both ways, but I am very costly.Cooking at home is also expensive if you want western food. My gold blend coffee, HP sauce etc adds up and compared to what my staff pay at the local markets for Indonesian foods is crazy.

there lots of expats around and is it easy enough to make friends with people who are staying there for longer than a holiday or backpacking trip?

Yes there are lots and many nice ones but also lots of dodgy ones as well. Plenty are just running from something back home trying to make money here. Some expats are just a bit stuck up and if your not already here and a newbie, they are not interested in you. Saying all that I am sure you will meet plenty of good people, just be wary on doing business with them, at least for a while. It’s just like back home, everyone is after a buck and you have the same mix of people and that includes all nationalities.

Location recommendations for a young expat? I've been told near seminyak is probably a good place to aim for with lots of expats based there.

My recommendation is to tour several places and see where you like. There are lots of low cost places here. I would even stay in Kuta/Legian for a bit which many would say no to, but it is fun and much cheaper than Seminyak if you like a good time.

Average cost for an average 1-2br place per month around that area? I'd be hoping for a 6-8month rental but could rent for 12months if that was the only option.

In Seminyak you will be paying more than other areas because it is very popular at the moment with the top bars and restaurants. Seminyak is currently the night life ‘in place’ for those that like that sort of thing. I like it a lot for visiting as a tourist on occasion.

The cheapest way to get a place is on the ground and be here and ask around and get a good deal. If you want to book a place online before for a month or more here are some sites I know are popular for Bali:

Vacation Rentals ? Beach Houses, Cabins, Condos, Cottages, Vacation Homes & Villas | FlipKey
HomeAway Vacation Rentals: Beach Houses, Condos, Cabins, Villas & Vacation Rental Homes
http://www.airbnb.com/
http://www.roomorama.com/ (do a shout cast on this one)

Would $200-300aud per week total be an ok amount to budget for living an average lifestyle (going out 1-2nights)?

That budget would cover a couple like me and my other half going out twice a week for a fun drink and food night in Seminyak and a couple lunches, that’s all - no rent or anything else. If anyone could do that on less in that area than this then they obviously drink water and go to warungs which means don’t be in Seminyak and stay elsewhere where you get so much more for your money.

Any recommendations for places I could work from online? I have been told the Canugg club has a library you can use if you join but haven't found any co working spaces apart from hubud in ubud so far.

I am not in the Canggu club and don't know the place in Ubud so can not advice on prices, but I have heard it is expensive. If you work online then you will have a decent smartphone so get a 3G package here, or use a 3G router and just hotspot/wifi to your laptop where you are staying to work. The 3G routers work quite well and allow lots of connections freeing your smartphone for other use. 3G is cheap unless you want to have lots of GBs. If you move about you may have to change provider as 3G varies a lot per provider depending on the area. Many people here have two phones because of network problems. There are lots of places with free wifi as well. A word of warning is if you are going to work here you need the proper visa, do not risk it if you want to stay in Bali long term.

Hope this all sheds some light and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Jabber good answer - but not effectively or substantively different from the same answer that has been given here a number of times - except that you wrote it and I wasn't aware you could get HP sauce in Bali - not that I want it but, new.

"The prices in Bali have changed so much just in the last year, so old posts are quite irrelevant in many respects." Really? Not here in the east or at least the only prices that have changed significantly are the prices of land, but friend here isn't buying I think.

Anyway, good post and I will refer all future similar questions to you.:barbershop_quartet_

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
I am a member of Canggu Club. Last year for the family 17.000.000 (up to 4 people) plus 1.000.000 one time only join fee. Good internet connection and a nice place.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Well, some would respond with a "why don't you piss off?", and other perhaps would cut the poor individual some slack... :)

Nick8081, you are strangely quiet, what do you think?

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
This is a copy/paste from another forum that I thought could get some responses here.... seeing as everyone is in such a gratuitious mood.

"Hello everyone. My family and i are hoping very soon in buying a small resort indonesia and setting up a dive center. We are researching as much as possible but still finding it difficult when it comes to buisness loans. I am a British citizen and my wife is a Swedish citizen. We will have to get a buisness loan to pay for alot of the resort but we have contacted all the major banks but not getting any replies. We are looking to fly next month to view the resort but want to have as much info as possible before then. If anyone can help with any advice on where to look or who to talk with it would be priceless to us.
The resort we are looking at now is owned by a european and we are in communication with him via emails. Found the reosrt for sale through other contacts. We are wondering of a PMA could get the loan to buy the existing buisness. His company has all the buisness licenses so he has said not to worry so much about those."

If this were posted here what sort of advice should be given....is such a business venture even possible?

davita, why not make it a thread on it's own....keeps things a bit more organized/clear, easier to follow sort 'o speak :)

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali
You are asking them because you respect their advice and look forward to their answers. I am not 'taking the pee' out of people saying this to you, just saying maybe they should help, most have lots more experience and better knowledge than me..

Well, some would respond with a "why don't you piss off?"?
Is that meant for me or did I miss something?

Last edited:

bakung

May 4, 2011
wasn't aware you could get HP sauce in Bali

I know where you can get such delights as HP Sauce also Kelloggs All Bran etc, but the info will cost $20 or else i will keep it to myself in case stocks get low. :greedy_dollars:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Jeeez guys there's so many things wrong with this I wouldn't know where to start!

"Hello everyone. My family and i are hoping very soon in buying a small resort indonesia and setting up a dive center For starters this person in not "English". We are researching as much as possible but still finding it difficult when it comes to buisness loans. I am a British citizen and my wife is a Swedish citizen. We will have to get a buisness loanfecking impossible! to pay for alot of the resort but we have contacted all the major banks but not getting any replies. We are looking to fly next month to view the resort Link available? but want to have as much info as possible before then. If anyone can help with any advice on where to look or who to talk with it would be priceless to us. Sounds like a good start to a long and cheesy relationship - Cheddar would be nice.
The resort we are looking at now is owned by a european and we are in communication with him via emails. Found the reosrt for sale through other contacts. We are wondering of a PMA could get the loan to buy the existing buisness.No chance - someone explain that "ownership" think here in Indo... His company has all the buisness licenses so he has said not to worry so much about those."
Oh fuck me! Keep hand firmly on wallet!

If this were posted here what sort of advice should be given....is such a business venture even possible?"

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

I know where you can get such delights as HP Sauce also Kelloggs All Bran etc, but the info will cost $20 or else i will keep it to myself in case stocks get low. :greedy_dollars:

I believe HP sauce and Vegemite to just be different grades of industrial waste. So no $20 from me.

bakung

May 4, 2011
I believe HP sauce and Vegemite to just be different grades of industrial waste. So no $20 from me.

You could have a valid point as the boss is forever saying : youre just a fecking walking wastebin ?. :icon_redface:

bakung

May 4, 2011
"Hello everyone. My family and i are hoping very soon in buying a small resort indonesia and setting up a dive center. We are researching as much as possible but still finding it difficult when it comes to buisness loans. I am a British citizen and my wife is a Swedish citizen. We will have to get a buisness loan to pay for alot of the resort but we have contacted all the major banks but not getting any replies. We are looking to fly next month to view the resort but want to have as much info as possible before then. If anyone can help with any advice on where to look or who to talk with it would be priceless to us.
The resort we are looking at now is owned by a european and we are in communication with him via emails. Found the reosrt for sale through other contacts. We are wondering of a PMA could get the loan to buy the existing buisness. His company has all the buisness licenses so he has said not to worry so much about those."

Why worry all seems legit ha ha ha ha
If this were posted here what sort of advice should be given....is such a business venture even possible?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
My post #7, which I deleted last night, seems to have given mirth this morning to at least a couple of our regulars....which was its original intent. Happy to make someone's day!
The sequel to this continues on another forum which I believe protocol prevents me from linking...but it has to do with expats and living and RI....well worth reading if one is needing a laugh.

davita

Mar 13, 2012

Don't know what's the secret....we bought HP sauce in Bintang a couple of days ago and I just saw jars of it and Kellogs all Bran in Casa Gourmet in Seminyak Sq a couple of hours ago.
Gratis info....you're welcome!!!

bakung

May 4, 2011
Don't know what's the secret....we bought HP sauce in Bintang a couple of days ago and I just saw jars of it and Kellogs all Bran in Casa Gourmet in Seminyak Sq a couple of hours ago.
Gratis info....you're welcome!!!

I knew i would get a bite, just warming the car up and heading to Casa Gourmet now, been looking everywhere for all bran :icon_e_biggrin:. i know i am a lazy richardhead
regards.