geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Is it possible to exchange Australian dollars to Yen in Bali. I'm going for a week to Japan in between my Bali trip and reckon I would get a better rate. If so where would be the best area to do this

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Is it possible to exchange Australian dollars to Yen in Bali. I'm going for a week to Japan in between my Bali trip and reckon I would get a better rate. If so where would be the best area to do this

Off the top of my head I doubt you can transact a direct exchange. They will have to convert AUD to IDR then to JPY. If I go out later I'll check with a money-exchanger and get back to this thread. Maybe others can also help.

BTW all financial pundits are talking UP the YEN so you may wish to check the exchange rates now and, due to the forthcoming elections in Australia, the AUD may weaken.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Off the top of my head I doubt you can transact a direct exchange. They will have to convert AUD to IDR then to JPY. If I go out later I'll check with a money-exchanger and get back to this thread. Maybe others can also help.

BTW all financial pundits are talking UP the YEN so you may wish to check the exchange rates now and, due to the forthcoming elections in Australia, the AUD may weaken.

Thanks for going to check it out?
I will bear in mind about the elections but Australia changes governments a lot and PMs annually

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Dude do you really want the world to know you are walking around with a couple of thou trousered?

No need to uphold the story of Scots genetic miserliness but you are gonna spend way more on having lunch in a day than you will on exchange rates - just saying, like...

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Dude do you really want the world to know you are walking around with a couple of thou trousered?

No need to uphold the story of Scots genetic miserliness but you are gonna spend way more on having lunch in a day than you will on exchange rates - just saying, like...

Markit thanks for your concern.But couldn't find an answer on your post to my question.
Who is going to hold me up from this forum please give me a clue.
Anyhow just to be sure I will start practicing running away from people with zimmer frames.
The only way more money would be spent on lunch is if i was with you knowing you would disappear when the bill was presented.
As for the Scots being mean, its a myth created 100yrs ago by the then worlds top performer a Scotsman called Harry Lauder it was part of his act.
Its a bit like saying the Yanks are loudmouths only that one is true.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
My local money X-change currently buys 1 AUD for 9740 IDR and 1 JPY for 121.3 IDR. They don't sell the Yen. Maybe others have outlets that sell but I think only the banks will do that.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Is it possible to exchange Australian dollars to Yen in Bali.
Probably yes, most likely in a bank. I doubt that you'd make much of a saving by doing that.
There is no shortage of ATMs in Japan so why wouldn't you use them?
Simpler and more convenient, especially if you're only going to be there for one week.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Probably yes, most likely in a bank. I doubt that you'd make much of a saving by doing that.
There is no shortage of ATMs in Japan so why wouldn't you use them?
Simpler and more convenient, especially if you're only going to be there for one week.

Thanks for your reply Johnny
It was more for convenience to save me getting some here.
Also read that Japan was a sort of preferring cash type of place.
Also using cash is good for my circumstances.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think you should be aware most ATMs in Japan do not accept foreign cards, even though they might look like they do. The ATMs in post offices do however as well as 7-11 convenience stores (which are everywhere). ATMs in Japan

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
I think you should be aware most ATMs in Japan do not accept foreign cards, even though they might look like they do. The ATMs in post offices do however as well as 7-11 convenience stores (which are everywhere). ATMs in Japan

Thanks for that I had read about that and was one of the reasons I wanted Yen and also was aware that cash was very widekly used.
Thanks for the info re post offices.