Elon Musk taking over Twitter

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
You would think that anyone who wants to promote the principle of free speech would be supported, but it seems many people are quite divided over Elon Musk taking over Twitter.

musk-twitter.jpg

musk-twitter2.jpg

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Given how many people he himself has blocked on twitter, and the fact that he requires ex-employees to be to sign non-disparagement clauses with a time limit of forever, he can hardly be called a paradigm of free speech. Rather, he comes across as just another hypocrite billionaire.

Reactions: tel522

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Given how many people he himself has blocked on twitter, and the fact that he requires ex-employees to be to sign non-disparagement clauses with a time limit of forever, he can hardly be called a paradigm of free speech. Rather, he comes across as just another hypocrite billionaire.
So if someone calls you on the phone and starts abusing you and you hang up, are you anti-free speech? Same thing as blocking someone.
Never heard of non-disparagement clauses, but if you mean non-disclosure agreements then these are common in business and litigation and are nothing to do with free speech. I myself am the subject of a non-disclosure agreement.
Have you got something against billionaires? Perhaps because you are not one.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
So if someone calls you on the phone and starts abusing you and you hang up, are you anti-free speech? Same thing as blocking someone.
Never heard of non-disparagement clauses, but if you mean non-disclosure agreements then these are common in business and litigation and are nothing to do with free speech. I myself am the subject of a non-disclosure agreement.
Have you got something against billionaires? Perhaps because you are not one.
It is outrageous to insist on a non-disparagement agreement that has no end date and therefore effectively lasts for one's entire life. Note that this is not the same thing as a non-disclosure agreement, which is very common in business to protect trade secrets, customer lists, etc., and typically has a limited term, applying during employment and from one to five years after leaving.

The upshot of the 'forever' non-disparagement agreement for current and former Tesla employees is that they cannot, for the rest of their lives, say anything that is in any way construed as negative about Tesla or they will be in breach of the agreement and subject to legal action for damages and/or an injunction. It is difficult to imagine a legal structure that is more anti-free speech than this.

Last edited:
Reactions: tel522

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
I particularly enjoyed the goal of "authenticating all humans". . .. and yes I do get the intended conetext.