Electricity

lawyersdontsurf

Nov 13, 2018
Bingin (soon)
Can anyone tell me what sort of electricity costs I could expect to be paying from a two-bedroom villa with pool? We only have a kitchenette but would run a large fridge and regular aircon throughout the villa (i expect).

From what I have found so far prices are usually around Rp1,600 per kWh.

Also, i was trying to find information on solar but there doesn't seem to be much of a presence - does the government not want green, clean energy?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Laralea

May 16, 2018
So, I have a prepaid meter (typical for most villas) and load 500k (IDR) for 15 days of electricity (35 kw use per day) for 2 bedrooms with air conditioner only in bedrooms, and running only at night. This includes running a clothes washer daily. My friends, also running 2 bedrooms pay a bit more than this (just variance with villas and nothing in Bali is standard or uniform!). At the rate that I use, I pay about 1 jta per month. ($70 USD). Forgot to mention that this also includes pool pump and small hot water heater for showers.

Reactions: jack&ami

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I would expect that Rp 1-2 million per month on a prepaid basis would be sufficient. We spend about Rp 1.5 million per month for a three bedroom villa but typically use AC only in one bedroom at night (and sometimes in the living room on hot evenings), in addition to the usual fans, kitchen appliances, pool pump, water pump, hot water heater etc.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Old thread but still useful info: 1 bedroom apartment microwave, induction cooking, ac ALWAYS on, tv, hot water and small fridge I'm usually right on 1 million a month,, sometimes just over or under depends how much I'm home that month

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm always astonished with these threads how many people here run their AC continuously. Have AC in all my bedrooms but actually never have it on, ever! At night I sleep with a fan to keep the crawlies off and cool too.

I find it really uncomfortable to live in this beautiful weather and have to shut all the doors and windows - effectively blocking out what I came to experience. I know we are all different but I suspect you become acclimatized to the climate when you accept it and have less of a shock when out in it.

And it's way cheaper.

If I get hot just jump in the pool and wear budgy smugglers all the time I'm home - saves shocking the neighbors to have a sarong handy.

Reactions: Juggler

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
I'm always astonished with these threads how many people here run their AC continuously. Have AC in all my bedrooms but actually never have it on, ever! At night I sleep with a fan to keep the crawlies off and cool too.

I find it really uncomfortable to live in this beautiful weather and have to shut all the doors and windows - effectively blocking out what I came to experience. I know we are all different but I suspect you become acclimatized to the climate when you accept it and have less of a shock when out in it.

And it's way cheaper.

If I get hot just jump in the pool and wear budgy smugglers all the time I'm home - saves shocking the neighbors to have a sarong handy.
Yeah I tend to agrree. IMO you dont move to the tropics to stay in a/c. Maybe of a night to initially cool the room alittle but not all night..

though we are all different

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Yeah I tend to agrree. IMO you dont move to the tropics to stay in a/c. Maybe of a night to initially cool the room alittle but not all night..

though we are all different

Well, I have lived in tropical countries for years, and always used the A/C when its hot and humid.
Its nice to enjoy the warm weather and water, but not to suffer of it.

And when I worked on construction sites 12x6 you "enjoy" the heat more than enough and want to have that JD Coke with ice under the A/C in the evening.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Ac use depends on personal preferences , I have also worked in tropical countries pre bali , ya I like the heat but when it gets really humid I also like to cool off .
For sure I dont like to live in a house full of bugs ,and it can be dangerous ie dengy .

MelanieSkye

Jun 17, 2019
Australia
Just jumping on this thread... How do I go about finding this prepaid electricity meter? Who do you contact to arrange electricity for a yearly villa rental that just got built?

(Ist time expat planning a move from Australia to Bali in coming months. Just trying to research everything before I move)

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
Hi there and welcome!
if it is a new build and you have power ie lights etc you have a meter.
It kinda looks like the ones in Oz, just look around the property and you should be able to locate it.
There will be a code on it that you use to top it up when it starts beeping. You can do this at the bank and indo marts etc

Reactions: MelanieSkye

MelanieSkye

Jun 17, 2019
Australia
Hi there and welcome!
if it is a new build and you have power ie lights etc you have a meter.
It kinda looks like the ones in Oz, just look around the property and you should be able to locate it.
There will be a code on it that you use to top it up when it starts beeping. You can do this at the bank and indo marts etc

That is so helpful! Thank you. Good old BALI.. that actually made me laugh. It’s pretty smart to be honest. Thanks heaps for that info. That is 1 item already ticked off the research list.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
That is so helpful! Thank you. Good old BALI.. that actually made me laugh. It’s pretty smart to be honest. Thanks heaps for that info. That is 1 item already ticked off the research list.
You are easily pleased. What they said was BS. If you build your own get the builder to register your house as Pondok Wisata (rental for guests) it's about a 1/3 cheaper than the "normal" listrik (electric). If you are moving into some place existing you will have a plastic credit card that you can "top up" at Alphamart Indo/ etc. pre-paid.

Reactions: MelanieSkye

MelanieSkye

Jun 17, 2019
Australia
You are easily pleased. What they said was BS. If you build your own get the builder to register your house as Pondok Wisata (rental for guests) it's about a 1/3 cheaper than the "normal" listrik (electric). If you are moving into some place existing you will have a plastic credit card that you can "top up" at Alphamart Indo/ etc. pre-paid.
I’m new to asking people for advice so any help is appreciated. I’ve seen your name regularly on here. You have lots of useful knowledge. I feel like you could write a little book on what new comers need to do when transitioning to Bali. I’d buy that book.