rovingcanuck

Dec 7, 2015
Jakarta / Sanur
Hello all,

The family and I are planning a trip to Jakarta and back to Bali next month. We are driving because there are a few places that we must go in the middle of the trip that can only be done via car (no trains or planes) and since we have our own car, why rent?

Any words of advice (best routes, places to avoid, what ever you do, never ever <blank>!) ?

Thanks and have great day.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
So far have only made as far as Ijen (volcano) but I would be grateful for any tips you can also give once you are back. Bon voyage!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Never done the trip you are planning but did have our Avanza delivered to Bali from Jakarta by a professional driver (his job). He doesn't recommend the journey unless prepared for other crazy drivers...mainly truckers. He did say that Surabaya to Jakarta vv. is OK as it's mainly toll roads.

Last year our Javanese driver take us from Kerobokan to Banyuwangi where he continued on to his own home in Pasuruan. We stayed in Banyuwangi and next morning took the Surabaya-bound train. We met our driver at Pasaruan station and he drove us to Malang where we stayed for a week...he then drove Malang to Bali and we took a flight. I asked him how was his trip and he said the driving was terribly dangerous. I said "but you take transit to Pasuruan at Ramadan instead of using our offered flying cost.... to save money!' and he said that he forcibly sleeps all the way as he cannot abide the danger.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
I live in Surabaya ,Part of the year,and its frightening to drive there,if you keep in mind that Indonesians in general do NOT accept responsibility for anything that happens,the blame is always on someone else, drive very cautiously you should be ok,

Recently took a taxi from Juanda airport to our house in Surabaya,while driving along a motor cycle overtook us and immediately he cut in front barely missing the front of the taxi,because he wanted to make a right turn,the driver braked hard to avoid hitting him,and later told us that a similar incident happened to him in the past,and unfortunately that time he hit the guy on the motor cycle,the cops came and immediately blamed the taxi driver,when the driver explained exactly what had happened the cops said it doesn't matter ,,a car is bigger than a motor cycle therefore the car is to blame,so knowing how the cops think and enforce the law, it should give you a good idea of how to proceed with your journey,good luck with your travels,

Do please let us know how it panned our after you return to Bali,

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
. . . if you keep in mind that Indonesians in general do NOT accept responsibility for anything that happens . . .

This is a pedantic and annoying observation . . . but that's never stopped me before, so here goes. Did you consider that your taxi driver is also an Indonesian that doesn't accept responsibility for anything that happens?

"It's turtles all the way down!"

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Jurisprudence Indonesia Style: The "hitter" is always at fault.

Simple really when you think of all the legal BS in our world with signs, angles, leaves, lights, etc.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
You missed the point,i wasn`t supporting the taxi driver,i was saying how the cops who enforce the law say that the car is responsible because a car is bigger than a motor cycle,would the car still be to blame if the motor cycle hit the car from behind ??,,its still the bigger vehicle ,

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
Last year a friend from Sanur took delivery of a new car in Jakarta and drove back . He shared the driving with his Indo sister-in-law. His main problem was with the trucks. Now the car will only be used on Bali. Any visits to family in Jakarta will be by plane and hire car up there. I think it took him weeks to recover.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Google maps estimates almost 24 hours of driving (Denpasar - Jakarta) but I find their estimates quite optimistic and I would guess it could be more like 36 hours. I don't like driving more than about 5 hours in a day so it could take me many days each way.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I'm sure the Op isn't planning on just getting to Jakarta but has many places to offshoot and see and why he is wanting to be independantly mobile. I'd suggest taking it slow will be more safe.

However, it may be of interest to some that the professional car delivery guys JKT-Bali vv do it with one overnight.
The guy we employed had an interesting method...he drives from early morning and stops at a predestined police station (he is a retired policeman) and parks. He pays the station a little money, uses their bathroom, eating and praying rooms, and sleeps in the car safe and secure in the police compound. I liked that idea as we had loaded our car with household stuff needing to be protected from thieves. He cleaned our car in a cuci mobile, then filled the gas tank, before bringing to us. Our Bali driver sent him to the bus station in DPS for his return to JKT.

An alternative is to ask the car manufacturer/dealerships if they have transporters on the route. Sometimes they'll offer to take an extra car...for a price, but it eliminates the danger of accident, thievery and running costs.

Our neighbor sends expensive bicycles from JKT-Bali vv in an open truck, to compete in some annual bike event. The bikes are all in custom boxes, or custom covers, for protection.

In the USA they have transporter car companies that send cars to holiday homes around the States. Would seem an idea for an enterprising Indonesian start-up company to copy.

rovingcanuck

Dec 7, 2015
Jakarta / Sanur
I have heard the same thing about the trucks, [MENTION=12353]Normy[/MENTION] . I have been on other trips through West and Central Java, but never in the East. Looks as if the trucks are the same all over, but only the roads then drive on get smaller and more 'unpredictable'.

rovingcanuck

Dec 7, 2015
Jakarta / Sanur
davita , you are correct. There are many places we need to get to in and around Jakarta. After crunching the numbers on taking a flight and renting a car when we arrive, the costs seem substantially higher than just taking the car and driving there.

I am more concerned now over what is best way to get to Surabaya? North or south roads? What are good places to stop. I am hoping to do the run in 36 hours, but are planning to let the road let us know when we need to stop. I am the sole driver, so when I am tired, we are done :icon_wink:

Beck

Sep 3, 2014
Ok an indecent amount coffee consumed and rant mode on.

I have no experience from driving a car. And I have not driven in Jawa. But I have driven a scooter with the missus at the back on Highway 1 plenty of times and it is certainly not the same as driving on smaller roads.

The speed is higher and because neither traffic rules nor common sense let alone consideration for other motorists apply the resulting mayhem is amplified.

I cannot really say it is a nice drive despite the scenery. Everytime I pass the last statue and head down the first gorge I phych myself up. I smack my helmet and scream abuse to myself. Combat mode on. It's me against the rest. Darwinism. Wifey at the back switch on too. Her responsibility is keep track and alert me of everything coming from behind.

On a scooter you have deal with endless overtaking of overloaded dilapidated lorries tugging along at 15 mph spewing out black smoke into your face. Overtake at the outside or the inside depending on space. Overtaking uphill is best. From the rear you got keep an eye out for cars the will try push you to the side and gain a few yards. They are not that bad most of the time the sound the horn before they come at you.

What you really need to look out are the big touring busses that goes between DPS and Jawa. I despise them beyond words. Unlike the lorries they are pretty fast and they are sure to make the most of it. They spend most of the in the right lane overtaking. They are even faster the cars. At the door there is some tosser waving his hand like a ladyboy, like it makes a difference.

There are two scenarios to watch out for with the big buses.

First one is when they actually abort an overtaking. This is not so common but mosty happens when they are facing something as big as they are. Whatever scooters that swarmed into the hole the buss just left need someplace else to go. Fast. Usually to left into the terrain or bumpy roadside unless the vechicle behind gives up a few yards which you cannot count on. So leave buses space.

The second scenario is even worse. You are driving in your left lane. Everything is good and under control. You are making distance. Then suddenly the big bus coming towards you wants to save 10 seconds and starts an overtaking. Bus is now in in your lane coming towards you closing in fast. As an act of courtesy the driver starts to demonstrate the headlights are indeed working. Fantastic. The ladyboy at the door is now working his wrist overtime. Charming. I am, however, not really able to fully take to take in the view because I am frantically trying to find myself some space to my left to disappear into. If yu don't find this scenario entertaining enough tae comfort that the bus driver are not shy to start an overtaking just before a bend. Just behind the bend is you with even less time to find someplace to disappear into.

My wife was one pushed of the road like this and was only a yard or two from falling into a gorge. The sepeda behind her that was also pushed of the road. The driver skid, fell and bruised himself. Luckily there was not a full family on that sepeda. Bus kept on pumping the right lane. Saving seconds.

Where I am from this behavior would amount attempted murder. In Bali is just reality that you have to deal with. Highway 1 is more dangerous than others roads because the speed is higher and the traffic more intense. It is slightly better now that a few bridges have been builds over some of gorges. Still people die here more or less everyday

So keep your wits about you. Eyes and mind on the road more than usual. Everything can and will happen. Drive safely and take breaks often and you will be fine.

Last edited:

rovingcanuck

Dec 7, 2015
Jakarta / Sanur
Points all well taken , [MENTION=18298]Beck[/MENTION]. After 5 years in the Jakarta region, I have become a bit aware of some of the things you mentioned.

As an interesting note, one driver I spoke to in Jakarta said that one of the new toll roads somewhere between Jakarta and Solo was finally opened, the death rate skyrocketed. Apparently everyone was still pulling on to road from the shoulders and spinning around to go the wrong way as if it was still a small kampung road. No one was thinking that that truck was now coming at them at 120 km/h, and not the usual 70 km.

Will definitely be keeping my wits about me. And from most of the discussions I have had, it looks like the North road to Surabaya is the way to.

I will update when I return.