IanR

Feb 20, 2014
We are in the final stages of coming to live in Bali for a year and have a question about the guys at DPS Customs.

We want to bring our iMacs and rather than send them by courier we were wondering how the DPS Customs guys would react to us carrying a pair of iMacs through with our checked luggage.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
i usually carry 2 laptops with me when I travel. never had a problem yet . I think regulation is 1 pc per person

IanR

Feb 20, 2014
i usually carry 2 laptops with me when I travel. never had a problem yet . I think regulation is 1 pc per person

I forgot to mention that in addition to these we would have 1 laptop and a pair of iPads........

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Not to say how to beat the system put one laptop/ipad/mac etc seperatly in a bag .remember you alliwed a carryon bag and a computer bag with most airlines

IanR

Feb 20, 2014
Thanks Smoke

Getting it onto the airline is not the issue.

What I was wondering was, if we get pulled into customs because we have a large wooden box that they find contains 2 large iMacs, what will they say?

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
I brought over a ship load of computer gear in my luggage, customs asked if I was going to be returning it all to Australia and I said "Ya" and was waved through. It's worth the risk, I reckon, because if you send it by post or freight it's guaranteed you'll have to pay tax.

Last edited:

Barekarma

Jan 8, 2012
Denpasar
When I was bringing back 2 PC from Malaysia, I was advised that if I carried them, it was personal items = no import tax. If I left them in the boxes I bought them in, then it was likely to be considered as 'commercial' - to be sold to someone in Indonesia = import tax due. I carried one in the supplied bag (free with the PC purchase) and the other in my backpack. No hassle with Air Asia (and they are quick to charge for ANYTHING) and no hassle with DPS Customs. Had it been 3 PC's.... well, that may be a problem.
Oh, I was also told that MAC/Apple are so different from other PCs (like Lenovo, Acer, etc) that carrying one of each is surprisingly common in Business Class.
Hope that helps.