rasi

Aug 26, 2010
A friend of a friend says you are able to take your dogs in and out of Bali now. Did I miss something? Did they change that law? As far as I know, Australia won't let dogs from Bali here.

rasi

Aug 26, 2010
Thanks so much, I thought that was the case. But always someone's auntys, friends cousin knows someone that did it.. :)

No change.
With correct immunization and vet certificates, dogs can be brought to other parts of Indonesia, but not to Bali. It is possible to ship a dog from Australia to Jakarta, where it is quarantined - for 4 weeks, I think. Those who wish to subvert the system illegally (horrors, who can imagine doing that in Indonesia?) can pay an agent to meet the said dog in the Jakarta quarantine station, where they exchange it with a local dog of theirs who will 'serve time' for your dog, then bring it in air-conditioned comfort by road to Bali. The tricky bit is getting it through the customs entry point at Gillimanuk, but the agents usually have a 'friend' who, for a fee, turns his back to scrutinise the view at exactly the right time. Total cost around 20 million. Heavens forfend that I would recommend this course of action of course, because it is, you know, illegal.

It works though, unless the dog transport people are stopped further down the coast for a spot check, whereupon the dog is shot and you lose your money.

Getting dogs back to Australia is possible, but not by the direct route. Fido needs to be shipped to Singapore, where he will stay for 6 months (with no chance of the substitute dog scam being employed), after which normal shipping to Australia can take place.

C

CanonMan

Is there any online info about the Singapore segment of the outbound route?

Katoom

Sep 27, 2012
Seminyak
Contact Theresia at Groovypets in Jakarta and the price from Jakarta to Bali is 8.5 million

I am not sure if the OP intends to bring a dog into Bali but I have recent experience trying to do so from Hong Kong with my pet dog.

I tried Theresia early last year. She would not quote for 'transport only', even though I had all the relevant paperwork up to but not including the final import certificate (that I was intending to get myself) and her quotation to me was in the region of 18MILLION. This is on top of your shipping costs from the origin country.

I laughed and walked away.

These agents can get all the import documents you need but it is worth remembering that in order to get the import permit from Jakarta by yourself, you will first need to get a memo from the local government at the intended destination of the animal, i.e. a place it will be living. Obviously you would not be able to do this for Bali so you would have to have someone help you out and get a memo from say a relative living in Java somewhere.

If you do not have any Indonesian family connections then you are at the mercy of the agents who you will pay a lot to for this service, as I mentioned above.

In my case, I was not willing to pay so much and gave up although my dog was adopted by my best friend at home in Hong Kong, so I was lucky not to lose him entirely.

Good luck.

Last edited:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
.....Those who wish to subvert the system illegally (horrors, who can imagine doing that in Indonesia?) can pay an agent to meet the said dog in the Jakarta quarantine station, where they exchange it with a local dog of theirs who will 'serve time' for your dog, then bring it in air-conditioned comfort by road to Bali. The tricky bit is getting it through the customs entry point at Gillimanuk, but the agents usually have a 'friend' who, for a fee, turns his back to scrutinise the view at exactly the right time. Total cost around 20 million. Heavens forfend that I would recommend this course of action of course, because it is, you know, illegal.

It works though, unless the dog transport people are stopped further down the coast for a spot check, whereupon the dog is shot and you lose your money....
This happened only recently. Not a chance I would like to take, if it was my pet.

Bali News: Pet Peeves

rasi

Aug 26, 2010
No not me, a friend of a friend wanted to bring her dog on a 10 day holiday to Bali... And I'm not joking!

vcmulliss

Jun 8, 2012
Gordon Vic
Hi to everyone, i was planing to move to bali in my retirement, but my dog comes first, dont want to risk her life, iam staying in australia and will now just holiday in bali till things once again change in life.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
There you go vdmuttss, finally someone on this forum with their priorities absolutely correct.

"My dog comes first".

Why don't you get an Abbo dog walker and he'll probably eat the mutt and then you can come to Bali

kri$

Dec 9, 2012
i brought my 5 dogs and 3 cats from jakarta to bali last year using a pet delivery service. It cost me about 12 million rp for all of them (door to door). i know that my vet here in bali sends dogs outside of indonesia but they have to go to jakarta first. Depends on your home country laws from there.
they may say its illegal to bring pets to bali but 'welcome to indonesia' everything has a price if you know who to ask

kri$

Dec 9, 2012
hey Markit, sorry i cant reply your PM yet due to post #.

We used a friend of my wife, he owns a pet shop in kemang, actually its about 20m away from groovy pets. I dont recal the name of the shop but if you send me a PM with your contact details i'll get them from my wife and forward it to you.

vcmulliss

Jun 8, 2012
Gordon Vic
I thought your comment was very rude, i was going to make a snide remark, but i wont bring myself to your level, I hope your not a example of westerners living in Bali, you have a very sharp tongue.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
sharp finger :eagerness: actually

Friend I will give you a very sound piece of advice for free - if you intend to come and spend some quality time in Bali I heartily suggest you get a sense of humour.

Forget visas, furniture, food (cheese), wives, girlfriends, hobies, pretty much anything - just get a sense of humour or you will be on the next flight home.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
sharp finger :eagerness: actually

Friend I will give you a very sound piece of advice for free - if you intend to come and spend some quality time in Bali I heartily suggest you get a sense of humour.

Forget visas, furniture, food (cheese), wives, girlfriends, hobies, pretty much anything - just get a sense of humour or you will be on the next flight home.

Maybe I need a sense of humour also. Could you please point out to me the part that was funny?