Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Hi all,

My wife (Indo) has had her normal last minute attack of the guilts and has decided to return home for a few days for Idul Fitri. Problem is, her passport expires in November (ie less than 6 months validity). I have rung the Indo Consulate in Perth and (surprise, surprise) received conflicting information whether the 6 month validity only applies to foreigners or everyone in general. Anybody have any experience with this? My own instinct is to simply get her to renew her passport, but given that could take a month the clock is ticking for her to get there by Idul Fitri.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Adz

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Hi Adam

Just trying to get the full story here. Your wife is Indonesian and is currently in Perth. She wants to travel to Indonesia but her passport is less than 6 months valid. If this is the case, I cannot see a reason why immigrations wouldn't allow for your wife to enter Indonesia?

I thought the 6 months validity of a passport was to apply for a VOA which your wife doesn't need?

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Hi Balibule,

I thought the same thing, that the 6 month validity should only apply to foreigners. I rang the consulate in Perth and they said that she could enter the country, but would have to make a new passport once she was back in Indonesia. Of course, the Aussie immigration would need to be contacted re notifying them of the new passport number to which her permanent residency visa is linked to. Sounded like a whole lot of trouble to me, which didn't make sense considering Australia is happy for you to use your passport right up to its expiry date for citizens and foreigners. I think Goldminers' advice is the best, much simpler to get everything sorted in Oz than in Indo.

Hopefully she might change her mind altogether, that would be the simplest solution lol.

Thanks again GM.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Hi Adam, your wife is going to her own country, so I cannot imagine a situation where she would be denied entry with a valid passport, irrespective of the remaining days of validity. Having said that, you can't necessarily count on the nincompoops at the oz check-in counter to be wise to this. So go to the airport with her, use your logic and charm (or hers) to get her checked in, and there will be no problem on the Indonesian side. Cheers