Sydney
Is there a legal drinking age for buying booze from clubs/restaurants etc
Or can anyone buy.
Is it enforced?

Last edited:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
legal age is 18, some talk of lifting it to 21. Not sure if anyone would enforce it. When I picked up my firework they gave me a official fireworks licence to show police, police were more concerned about how much bintang I had. no one wanted to miss out.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
In the Food Hall where I recently bought some beer it says you need to show ID of over 21 years old. They didn't ask me for any ID....:icon_rolleyes:

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
In the Food Hall where I recently bought some beer it says you need to show ID of over 21 years old. They didn't ask me for any ID....:icon_rolleyes:

Do you think its a possibility that they serve you without ID due to your bulk buying habits which would be similar quantities to a chain of liquor stores.
That's a thought you should be able to get bulk discounts.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I'm not sure that buying 4 cans of Bintang constitutes bulk but I'm also sure that isn't why my ID wasn't checked. Also, although I'll admit to being a handsome-man, most cashiers see my pasty skin and white hair and assume I'm one of those unfortunate albino bule's.
I think reality sunk-in when I produced my rather jaded-looking senior discount card that Sogo Dept store gave me when I turned 75...that's when she decided that checking to see if I was underage to buy beer was futile....:confused:

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
I'm not sure that buying 4 cans of Bintang constitutes bulk but I'm also sure that isn't why my ID wasn't checked. Also, although I'll admit to being a handsome-man, most cashiers see my pasty skin and white hair and assume I'm one of those unfortunate albino bule's.
I think reality sunk-in when I produced my rather jaded-looking senior discount card that Sogo Dept store gave me when I turned 75...that's when she decided that checking to see if I was underage to buy beer was futile....:confused:

Only 4 cans , whats happened to you?
Is that the store in Pondok Indah Mall?