Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Anyone else nervous?

Recent political events in the US, and the speed at which they were promulgated, and especially the questionable sanity -- dare I say outright crazed approach -- of those at VERY high levels of government, make me a bit nervous that a long term living situation for Americans in a majority Muslim country might not be viable.

I am not ready to pull the plug or anything, but it seems prudent to develop our "out" strategy. We are quite happy with our life here in Bali at present, but we are going to start gathering information and perhaps applying for a retirement via elsewhere.

Anyone else feeling this way?

- Bill

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
If I was american I would be a bit careful at the moment, sorry for your situation.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Nope.

Might I suggest you try and get some perspective on the "fear" thing Americans seem to be saddled with - ur in Ubud so just go down to the street and stop your average Indonesian and ask him what he thinks about Trump's visa policy.

Go ahead and do it.

Unless you are massively lucky you will get a blank look followed by some mumbling and then a hasty grasp of some percentage of what your victim has heard over the last 20 years about how impossible it always has been for Indonesians to get a tourist visa or any other kind for the US and probably always will be.

He could care less about Muslim bans or Mexican walls and if he did understand it I reckon most of them would be on Trump's side.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Nope.

Might I suggest you try and get some perspective on the "fear" thing Americans seem to be saddled with - ur in Ubud so just go down to the street and stop your average Indonesian and ask him what he thinks about Trump's visa policy.

Go ahead and do it.

the trump comments are all over the local news mr markit , I would suggest many people here, especially muslims , have a dim view of America currently .

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Indonesia also does not warmly welcome visitors from the 7 countries Trump has just blacklisted.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
the trump comments are all over the local news mr markit , I would suggest many people here, especially muslims , have a dim view of America currently .

You may have a point in Aceh or other fanatic Muslim hotspots but I think Bali, predominantly Hindu and religious tolerant, will be safe from extreme Muslims back-lashing against Americans.

hadodi

Nov 8, 2013
NE Bali
Yes, it is a shame that you must have such concerns. BUT in a democracy you have the leader you chose. Just pray that the world will survive the coming 4years and that your people will be smarter... And do not forget: Due to Gallup the USA is the country which threatens world peace the most.

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Nope.

Go ahead and do it.

Unless you are massively lucky you will get a blank look followed by some mumbling and then a hasty grasp of some percentage of what your victim has heard over the last 20 years about how impossible it always has been for Indonesians to get a tourist visa or any other kind for the US and probably always will be.

He could care less about Muslim bans or Mexican walls and if he did understand it I reckon most of them would be on Trump's side.

I'm sure true, except maybe the last statement, would like to try it just to test that.

However, my "fear thing" is more about what the wags in Jakarta might be thinking, I think it not inconceivable that the Indo government could retaliate against Americans by denying some visas. Not likely, but possible.

- Bill

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
I think it not inconceivable that the Indo government could retaliate against Americans by denying some visas. Not likely, but possible.

- Bill

Why would Indonesia retaliate against the Americans for something Indonesia already do themselves? How many Syrian refugees has Indonesia taken over the last few months? How easy is it for the 7 countries Trump just blocked to travel to Indonesia?

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Why would Indonesia retaliate against the Americans for something Indonesia already do themselves? How many Syrian refugees has Indonesia taken over the last few months? How easy is it for the 7 countries Trump just blocked to travel to Indonesia?

Surely you are not trying to apply logic to politics?!

But you are perfectly right -- in truth, I do not know what I am talking about -- really I am just speculating.

- B

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Yes, it is a shame that you must have such concerns. BUT in a democracy you have the leader you chose. Just pray that the world will survive the coming 4years and that your people will be smarter... And do not forget: Due to Gallup the USA is the country which threatens world peace the most.

...BUT in a democracy you have the leader you chose...
That depends upon which "democratic" country you're talking about.

For example - US voters don't choose the president directly, but a party does. The party decides the actual president after the electoral college does its mumbo-jumbo.
Similar in Australia, (but without an "electoral college").
People didn't vote for Tony Abbott - they voted for the Liberal/Coalition party. The slightly less idiot that replaced him (Malcolm Turnbull) came about when Abbott got done. And so on.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur

...BUT in a democracy you have the leader you chose...

For example - US voters don't choose the president directly, but a party does. The party decides the actual president after the electoral college does its mumbo-jumbo.
People didn't vote for Tony Abbott - they voted for the Liberal/Coalition party. The slightly less idiot that replaced him (Malcolm Turnbull) came about when Abbott got done. And so on.

davita

Mar 13, 2012

I disagree Johnny.

USA parties (registered party members) vote who will represent that party...then the people (registered voters) vote for those selected. The Electoral College method of voting means State by State gets a number of votes assigned by population. That's why it isn't a FULL democracy and causes some issues over who has most votes, as we have just witnessed in the last Presidential election. Many times the President has been from a different party to the majority in the House of Representatives and Senate. This time the W.H....and the HofR and Senate (Congress) are Republican majority.

Australia/Canada/UK use the Westminster model of voting a party...the leader of the one in majority then becomes Prime Minister. That's why the Prime Minister can be removed as leader and a new one installed without an election....as often happens in OZ and recently happened in UK.
The difference in Australia...which I think is a first class idea is...registered voters are mandated to vote (with exceptions) ...it isn't voluntary.

Last edited:

hadodi

Nov 8, 2013
NE Bali

Yes, but then it is up to the people in the so called biggest democracy to change this corrupt system, where only politicians with millions of $$$$$ in the back have a chance to become president. the only REAL DEMOCRACY is the DIRECT one.