Decision Made

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Well I have just sent an email turning down the Kazakhstan job and I will be staying in Saudi. Had a long discussion with my President and he has convinced me to stay.

The main reason for me is continuity of work, increased Salary (Still does not match that of Kazakhstan) and the promise that I will be retained as a consultant when I retire. This last was the clincher for me as it will certainly help me retire in a little bit more comfort.

All of this without mentioning to him that I had a new job. That is why I like him so much because he is good to me without any threats etc. All this was my contract renewal talks.

I am still having problems settling in after my great trip but after discussing things through with Maria we decided that this was the best way forward. We also decided that after my next leave at Christmas she will come to Bahrain (30 Km from me) for a months holiday so that is something to look forward to.

Now I have to get busy saving for a new kitchen in the house in the UK, furnish the house in Makkassar and start with the money for the house in Bali. Oh I have to get to work also which until we had made a decision I had not done much of :)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Today is a sad day for me as I have decided to leave Saudi Arabia and the company that employees me. It was a very difficult decision to make but Bali was the cause.

Since returning here I have had great difficulty in settling back in the country, the work and the routine. I even turned down a good job in an effort to fulfil my commitments to my boss. Unfortunately the fact that I was with my family for such a long time and then back in Indonesia and Bali has made me feel very lonely.

This loneliness has become so acute I can no longer accept the future here and especially the leave schedule that goes along with it. This leaves me several choices.

I can retire, try to work in the UK or try and get the Kazkhstan contract back which gives me 28 work and 28 days off. The last is the optimum and satisfies most aspects but I have yet to finalize that after once turning it down. Work in the UK is next and I may have the opportunity to build the swimming complex for the olympics (which could be the crowning point of my career). Although talks are in a very expoloratory stage.

Lastly I could retire but the snag is that I am not quite ready to do so and need the money for the house in Bali.

Well the next week or so will bring a decision. It will also bring a face to face meeting with my boss and I will not look forward to that. Watch this space to see what happens.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Well I was fortunate to get the Kazakh job backand I am leaving Saudi at the end of the month. I will have regrets as I have met some good people here and had my perception of Saudi and the Saudis changed. Most if all I regret leaving my boss who has been very good to me.

Life however moves on and now I will be able to see my family a lot more and also visit Indonesia a lot more. I might even be able to save up a lot more and so fulfill my dream of buyin my house in Bali.

On the plus side I will also be able to have a glass of wine with my meals (A first class Moldovian or Georgian red is just about drinkable and I can also add to my collection of the finest Russian and Kazakh vodka's. I will let you know how things are when I get settled in.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Two more days to go and I will be leaving Saudi Arabia. I had a meeting with my President yesterday and he has made me an extraodinary offer. If I do not like the new job in Kazakhstan I can come straight back to Saudi.

In addition to my final salary and end of contract benifits he also gave me 3 months salary as a bonus. His genorosity is amazing. He also told me I can come and work for him at any time and he understands my desire to be closer to my family.

He also told me we part not as boss and employee but as friends and no matter what I am to keep in touch.

We ended the meeting with a hug rather than a handshake and tears were welling in my eyes. It is so good to part on such terms. Now remains only the final packing and the journey to Kazakhstan and a new challenge. I will let you know how things turn out.