Data speeds and best provider around Ubud - Live Streaming

Tracknwatch

Jan 21, 2019
I am travelling to Ubud in Bali mid February to test a live streaming and GPS tracking app for travellers and travel bloggers and will be staying around Ubud. Can anyone please tell me who the best provider is for data streaming in that area and the cost of around 5GB. Also where is the best place to buy the SIM card and will I just need a passport as ID. If there are any expats who would be willing to run a test for us prior to arrival all you would need to do is to download the app and I'm quite willing to pay for a data top up. Its a pretty amazing app and we just need a bit of help to fine tune things.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Telkomsel generally has the best coverage. The other companies such as XL tend to have cheaper rates and various packages but coverage is not as good as Telkomsel. It is quite localized so it is something you really need to test when you find your accommodation. There are phone/SIM shops everywhere, so it just depends on where you are staying. Wifi is also available widely in various restaurants, bars and hotels.

Tracknwatch

Jan 21, 2019
I think I will go with Telkomsel as we are not after the cheapest but the best coverage and we need about 5Gb of data although I would be confident we could top up when needed. We also want to test the phone app by streaming some live video of Mt Agung but I'm not sure what the activity is like in terms of visual smoke etc and again not sure how close we could get. Of course when I talk about close I mean many kilometres away as it is unpredictable but not sure if we can get a driver to go out that way from Ubud.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
As a tourist you will pay wildly varying prices for a sim card, I recently discovered a company that can meet you at airport with a tourist sim at a great price you can choose the specs etc first (rather than being tricked and given something random), I hope i'm not spamming up the forums but this has been a great tool for me and visiting family:

https://www.klook.com/id/activity/1...r20&krid=8eb82404-b3c3-48fc-40f2-f08291afb130

Tracknwatch

Jan 21, 2019
My opinion is that this thread is so important as we all rely so much now on data and any assistance to travellers is invaluable. Now we just have to try and find someone to run a test for us to see what the quality is like through the network. Really appreciate all this great advice

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
I think I will go with Telkomsel as we are not after the cheapest but the best coverage and we need about 5Gb of data although I would be confident we could top up when needed. We also want to test the phone app by streaming some live video of Mt Agung but I'm not sure what the activity is like in terms of visual smoke etc and again not sure how close we could get. Of course when I talk about close I mean many kilometres away as it is unpredictable but not sure if we can get a driver to go out that way from Ubud.

You can find a driver to take you anywhere on this island, what you pay is going to depend on your negotiation skills and your expectations, if you want someone with good English you may pay a little more. if you literally just want a driver and are prepared to communicate via google translate perhaps take a grab (bali uber) and offer the driver a private job, I've never been turned down ever and this is usually 1/2 the price of a tour guide.

If you are interested in airport pickup etc my partner (female) can possibly help, let me know if you are interested I can find you a good rate, but ultimately up to you, I don't want to be forcing services down your throat just thought maybe it will assist you and help you get what you consider to be a fair price.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
To get back on your original topic, I have one night in UBUD 31/1 if that is any help, I don't mind to test an app or connection speeds however I have other things on (hence the reason I'm in UBUD) so if it takes 30 mins or less no problem otherwise find someone else. I am using Indosat on Iphone, it's not the best coverage by any means but its cheap. The Mt Agung part I can't help with sorry.

Tracknwatch

Jan 21, 2019
Thnaks for the info but I should have said that I have been to Bali many times as living in Perth Australia its only a 3.5 hr trip. The iaaue is that I haven't been for two years and things change a lot in that as I know when I was last there it was really confusing getting a local sim card and I wasn't sure with the drivers if there were any current restrictions heading towards the Volcano. Last time I was there I climbed Mt Batur and still getting over that !! hahahah Great thing to do though. This is a great Forum and just hope we can get someone to assist

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
All good fellow Perthie :) re the sim card I'd go klook (the link I sent) on a recent trip I wrongly assumed I can just send my indo mrs to bring me a cheap sim, seems govt regulations have changed again and she couldn't buy a 2nd sim card. Im sure you can pay through the nose for a tourist sim but why would you when you can just have them meet you in airport for $10 AUD