davita

Mar 13, 2012
The suicide bombers in Brussels detonated before the security check. There are crowds as you approach security checks in the Bali airport, so the same sort of problem could happen.

I don't agree ronb...you cannot enter Bali/Jakarta's departure hall without a ticket/boarding pass and all bags are x-rayed just inside the entrance door before approaching the check-in counter.
In many other airports, like Brussels, anyone can enter the departure hall and the security check is done after the check-in counter.
I believe they have changed that procedure already.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
...They don't let anyone into the departure hall in Bali/Jakarta without a ticket/boarding pass...
That's all well and good, but a "ticket" these days is a piece of paper with the passenger name, flight number, booking number, departure date and nothing much else.
Anybody can make one up and print it at home.

"Security" glance at it and wave you through. They don't check if it's real or not. And this is before the first x-ray machine.
So - a suicide bomber could easily get in closer and detonate him/her self.

Add to that that I have never been checked by "security" driving into the airport. There isn't any!
Anyone can drive through the gates, park somewhere, carry their luggage/bombs near hundreds of people milling around well before having to present their ticket/bombing pass.
And suicide car bombers don't even have to find a parking spot.

...surely checking prior to entering an airport is more secure...
Exactly.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Absolute security isn't absolute.

There has to be a balance between security absolutely and convenience. If everybody was 100% scrutenized before entering an airport I suggest they would need to arrive many more hours than current. Just look at the line-up on Jakarta's toll-booths to see the restrictions that imposes.

I went thru' Bali domestic departure Tuesday and had to remove my cheap buckle belt, so it could be put thru' the machine. I complied, and my pants nearly fell down, but smiled whilst a lady wearing a head-scarf, with a big brooch to hold it together, sailed thru' without scrutiny.

We can easily find weaknesses in security and should bring it to the attention to those responsible, as I pointed out the above anomaly to a shrugging security officer. Finding a complete fix is difficult but maybe technology will provide some solution.

The best answer is to disable terrorism which has reached a level never seen before ...but how?

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Be it the crazies in Yemen, the psychopaths in Syria, pedophile Boco Haram in Nigeria, etc, etc, etc I have to admit that wherever these nutters perpetrate their terror activities OUTSIDE OF THEIR COUNTRIES I'm at a complete loss as to what they actually want us to do?

Killings in France or Belgium, airplanes into buildings in New York what do they want us all to do?

Be scared? Ok, but why? For what gain to their brand, be it Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, ISIL or whatever.

They are all gathered to kill each other around the middle east and seem to be having a grand old time of it but what do they expect from us?

I just don't get it - perhaps that's a sign of advancing age?