tcollins

Sep 1, 2014
Hi All

Big thanks to the many people that have already replied to my posts and helping us with planning- very much appreciated.

Had a question with regards to hiring a driver for the year that we would be in Bali.

At the simplest this would be for taking our kids to and from school so that we are not paying for the private bus operated by the school, but obviously extend to us having a driver available either every day or several times a week.

I have read a few older posts that mention some people purchase/ lease a car for the driver, whilst other drivers will basically do the same (or have their own car already), and include this in some from of monthly cost.

Can someone please give me an indication of the total costs we would be looking at on a monthly basis and any extra costs we might be required to pay- fuel, extended hours, etc...

We would be based around the Seminyak area with our kids going to school at the Australian school, so no too far on a daily basis. Might be looking for using a driver for weekend drivers further out as well.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 31, 2014
Aberdeen/Singapore
Don't know the going rates but no doubt some of the regs will, will say though if you lease or buy a car never ever ever ever let the driver take it home, don't care how 'trustworthy' they are or what they promise, they will use it as taxi, their own family transport or even hire it out AND use YOUR gas!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Don't know the going rates but no doubt some of the regs will, will say though if you lease or buy a car never ever ever ever let the driver take it home, don't care how 'trustworthy' they are or what they promise, they will use it as taxi, their own family transport or even hire it out AND use YOUR gas!

What he, she or it said.

Our driver rents his car when he/we need it. It costs him IDR150k/day and he charges us per the drive.

For instance:
Candi - DPS and return 400k
Candi - Ubud 300k
Candi - Singaraja 400k
He pays gas and all charges/kickbacks

Alternatively you can rent a car on a long term basis (my suzi jeep costs 1.6/month) and just rent a driver for the day but it has to be a different driver to the one above as he is a licensed tour driver and if caught driving a "normal" car with people would get his wrist severely slapped.

Driver for the day (from 8 till 8 often) cost us IDR150k + lunch and dinner.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
When we were visited by four friends last December we rented a newish Kijang for IDR300,000/day for 5 days as we needed a bigger car than our Avanza...but we used our driver and paid for fuel. I think a driver would have been an additional IDR100,000 for a 10 hour day. I seem to remember an Avanza was IDR250,000/day
Long term, regular use, or older car should be cheaper.

sudarma

Jan 7, 2012
Jimbaran Bali
I recommend rent a car for long term, example for Toyota Avanza is 2,5 mil/month, driver you can pay for view hour/day, and make deal with it. If you just like the driver taking your kids to and from school, it is probably you need a freelance driver nearby.

luckysta

May 7, 2015
(my suzi jeep costs 1.6/month)

...i thought a suzi was too small for you :tongue:

Last edited:

KCOJ

May 1, 2015
Alternatively you can rent a car on a long term basis (my suzi jeep costs 1.6/month).

Markit that sounds like an excellent price ... would you care to share the contact for the rental. Please pm me if you prefer.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Doubt if you will get a similar deal as I'm stupid enough to have rented from him for the last 5 years or so, but you can always try.

Call Mr. Muka on +62 812 391 9682 and tell him Mark sent you.