Costs of obtaining an IMB post-construction

Kimberley McClean

Sep 30, 2017
I am trying to assist a friend to sell her newly completed house just north of Ubud as she has moved away from Bali and is not well enough to handle the selling of the property.
During the process of trying to sell the property, I discovered that an application for a building permit (IMB-Ijin Mendirikan Bangunan) was never submitted orior to construction. As I would like to factor an application for an IMB into the sale, I need to know the various costs involved.
I read a post on this forum about the subject but it was written in 2011 and applied to the costs of an IMB application prior to construction.
Can anyone help with approximate costs for each level of the process- banjar to kabupaten-, including cost per m2 of floorspace, and current architect's costs, and facilitation fees for being late in application?
I was told by a friend who owns a guesthouse that the IMB process cost her nearly Rp250 million but this included the podok wisita permit- we do not need this as the property is intended for private residential use. She also said that it cost her nearly Rp50 million for the archotect's work- drawings, site visits etc.
Thanks for any help,
Kimberley

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I just don't think someone will be able to give you a price per square meter to do this. You are asking to get a building permit for a house that is already constructed. You also need to get signatures from neighbors. I would imagine that there need to be some "extra" fees that need to be paid as well as some kind of incentive given to the neighbors to get them to sign.

Kimberley McClean

Sep 30, 2017
Thanks for your reply spicyayam (nice name).
The no objection letters from neighbours are underway.
The post in 2011 detailed costs so I have a bit of an idea but need to know what the costs are today. And you are correct about the extra facilitation fees- I don't think it is uncommon for buildings to lack the IMB- especially older Balinese compounds, so I think my query is a reasonable one. And maybe someone out there in Bali Expatland can offer some advice.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
In the past there have been agents available to go through the process in Gianyar, Don't know the current situation as I ave moved from the area. One sneaky move might be to try connecting with an employee in a Notaris office. They are usually well informed and might help out for a fee on the side.

Kimberley McClean

Sep 30, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion, mugwump. I will try that. If I could hook up with someone who has done the process, I am sure that would help in finding agents as well as info. Will try my notary's office, too! Thanks again.

SCR26

Sep 13, 2016
Or your friend might want to apply for herself.

This is what I did when applying for IMB (Ungasan, Badung in 2015).
I asked neighbor's son run the errand for me. Basically he just go here and there asking for signature, summit the form, waiting, go to other official gov get signature, go to other official building, wait again , get signature... etc.
After he completed all the requirement, then I summit the application by my self.

Total cost:
* IMB = Rp. 2.3 mill
* Banjar = 10 mill (negotiable)
* Errand boy = 2 mill ( 2months)
* "extra money" = 0

It looks like a lot of hassle and complected, but once you do it's not that difficult. If you have any problem just ask the help desk.

Kimberley McClean

Sep 30, 2017
Thanks, SCR26.
I have a step-son studying architecture in Bali- might get him to do the running around.
Thanks for the costings.
Really appreciate it.

Kimberley McClean

Sep 30, 2017
SCR26, when you applied for the IMB was this before construction of the building commenced or after the building was already completed?

SCR26

Sep 13, 2016
I was still doing the structure and foundation when apply for IMB, When the IMB guy check the location, the structure almost complete (2 floor) total 3 floor.:D

edit: the expensive part was the Banjar approval. you might want talk to the head of banjar first.

Jan Roelofs

Jan 6, 2018
jakarta
Or your friend might want to apply for herself.

This is what I did when applying for IMB (Ungasan, Badung in 2015).
I asked neighbor's son run the errand for me. Basically he just go here and there asking for signature, summit the form, waiting, go to other official gov get signature, go to other official building, wait again , get signature... etc.
After he completed all the requirement, then I summit the application by my self.

Total cost:
* IMB = Rp. 2.3 mill
* Banjar = 10 mill (negotiable)
* Errand boy = 2 mill ( 2months)
* "extra money" = 0

It looks like a lot of hassle and complected, but once you do it's not that difficult. If you have any problem just ask the help desk.
Did you also pay for the architectural drawings of the house and the map?

SCR26

Sep 13, 2016
I ask someone to do the drawing (you need a real architect for it). and what do you mean with the map? map of the house?

edit: ohh i just check your other msg, are you talking about zoning? its free and actually you also need to check whats the ratio of building that you can build compare to land size (KDB =Koefisien Dasar Bangunan)

Last edited:

Jan Roelofs

Jan 6, 2018
jakarta
As far as I know you need a drawing of the house itself and a map of the land and place where the house is standing (do not know the right English word). i heard something of 7 to 10 M IDR.
And the drawings then are completely compliant with the rules for getting the IMB, so the office can directly approve the drawings?

SCR26

Sep 13, 2016
I dont know the cost for IMB in Gianjar. but it only cost me about 2mill for IMB + 10 mill for banjar in Badung.
I think you should ask your contractor in Gianjar area. Normally they also help their client to apply for IMB

elsieprobert

May 23, 2011
Thanks for the post Kimberley,

I am gathering from the info above that you do not need to be the title holder to apply (retrospectively) for the IMB? Is the lease holder able to submit the application? Many thanks for any info.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Does nobody of the posters above think there is a big gap between the cost of the IMB and the Banjar fee?
The IMB involves checking all the paperwork,drawings,and a visit by at least four officials to check that.
The cost for the banjar is one signature.I did have to pay for the signature of the kepala desa as well(in Gianyar),but was shown a list of rates for that.That amounted to little over 2 million as well(doubling the rate because there were two buildings,but that is still one imb,but i let that go,at that price.).I think whoever is paying the banjar 10 million is taken for a ride.Ever heard about tawarring?

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Does nobody of the posters above think there is a big gap between the cost of the IMB and the Banjar fee?
Well I can't imagine the banjar was happy that building had already started without an IMB so I guess they just named their price to help 'fix' things.

elsieprobert

May 23, 2011
I agree that the Banjar fee is likely inflated due to the correct process not being followed from the start.

I am still wondering if a leaseholder can apply (after the fact), for the IMB or if it needs to be the title holder.

Am trying hard to get an IMB but title holder is not being very cooperative.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Knowing that I have addressed this situation in the past still think the method works.
When you go the office of any notaris (but preferably one where you are known), you will invariably wait in the office for the notaris while one of his/her staff is present. The staff members do all the leg work to and from the office to the land office of the regency and thus know many of the people you need to know for the IMB process. Obviously they aren't going to be adverse to earning a little extra money on the side to aid you in your pursuit. Engage that staff member in conversation, explain your problem and willingness to pay for a little help.
Hell this is Bali! People are sociable and usually responsive to a bule in need, have information about the system, and most certainly not opposed to getting paid for their assistance! Give it a try, and good luck.

Reactions: hermit