Cost of living in Sanur

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
I have taken a lease out on a small 3 bedroom house with a small pool. We are going to sublet for the remainder of this year (if we find tenants) then move in next January.

We are both 49 and will have just turned 50 when we move. Looking at coming over on the social visa till we hit 55.

In the meantime we are in Sanur for a fortnight in May the the month of October :)

We have paid for the lease upfront and have have allowed 1,000,000 Rp for the electric.
Internet will be 600,000 to 1,000,000 a month.
Water is from a well.
We have met the local Banjar head and agreed our monthly contribution.

Health insurance we are looking an nomad type annual policy - any problems with this?

food will cost whatever we pay, same with alcohol

What other costs am I missing that I need to concider?

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
I have taken a lease out on a small 3 bedroom house with a small pool. We are going to sublet for the remainder of this year (if we find tenants) then move in next January.

We are both 49 and will have just turned 50 when we move. Looking at coming over on the social visa till we hit 55.

In the meantime we are in Sanur for a fortnight in May the the month of October :)

We have paid for the lease upfront and have have allowed 1,000,000 Rp for the electric.
Internet will be 600,000 to 1,000,000 a month.
Water is from a well.
We have met the local Banjar head and agreed our monthly contribution.

Health insurance we are looking an nomad type annual policy - any problems with this?

food will cost whatever we pay, same with alcohol

Gday, have you considered tax implications, as you have indicated your long term interest in Indonesia the 183 day rule doesn't apply as you will now be considered a tax paying resident i would think, best check this out, after all subletting is earning income in Indonesia and that is taxable, and do you earn any income overseas , just my thoughts, I was recently in Sanur and the local crew was collecting rubbish on the beach and watch out for the landmines there too human and animal, i was one step away from a quick foot wash in the ocean of floating rubbish , its changed so much since i was there 5 years ago, much nicer there and the best shopping mall i found is the Lippo mall Kuta. I wish ye the best T.

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
Hi Teddybear,

I won't be working when living in Indonesia. The advice I have is that tax won't be payable (or at least I won't be chased for it).

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi Teddybear,

I won't be working when living in Indonesia. The advice I have is that tax won't be payable (or at least I won't be chased for it).

If you are legally subletting your new villa you will be liable for taxation on the income received. Also, you will need to have a Pondok Wisata permit to legally sublet for income.
Many foreigners don't ....but they are subjecting themselves to committing a crime.

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
Thanks Davita and Teddybear, I was thinking about when I am living there rather than income from renting out. I have the right to sublet in the contract but certainly don’t want to be run foul of the authorities before I move.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Davita and Teddybear, I was thinking about when I am living there rather than income from renting out. I have the right to sublet in the contract but certainly don’t want to be run foul of the authorities before I move.

If subletting and signing a new lease to A.N.Other you will have a notarised lease...otherwise, if only renting on short-term stays a Pondok Wisata permit is required.
As a foreigner this requires a PMA (limited liability company) to be acquired. To get around this the owner of the property, not yourself the lessor, can apply for the permit without forming a PT or PMA.

Some info here....http://www.bali-individually.com/ne...legal-requirement-rent-out-your-property-bali

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
Thanks for that. There would be no issue using the owner but seems a lot of effort for a property that will only be sublet through Airbnb for 6 months. I was guessing on a max of 50% occupancy so doubt it will be worth the effort. The return was less important than keeping the premises occupied.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I'm only describing the law.
Many rent their places when vacant but do it under the table. I suggest briefing renters to say they are non-paying friends and pay you without legal paperwork in Indonesia.....and it will probably never be noticed.
Be careful using AirBnB as the Bali authorities do scrutenize those adverts and I've heard they turn up at the villas.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
*One million for electricity seems to be on the ample side.
I have a 10x4 meter pool(55m3)and a deepwellpump for water.Both pool pump and well pump arethe big comsumers.You probably have a smaller pool pump.I never pay more than 700.000 per month.Led bulbs everywhere.The cost for a kw depends on the number of kw you have.More Watts,higher price.Multiply the
numer of ampere on the main MCB that is on the meter with 230 and you know hom many Watt capacity your installation has.
*If you get Indihome fiber optic from Telkomsel,you can have TV,phone and Wifi internet for around 460.000 per month,including about 51 tv channels.There are additional charges for sports or film packages.
*Water?Do you have a well or town water?
*Pool chemicals can add up considerably,but as your pool is small it will not break the bank.
*Garbage:Sanur may have a well organized garbage collection system.Inquire around about costs.
*Some help to clean?Everything gets dirty here more quickly,
so maybe some help a few days a week is no luxury.
*Gaz:Big bottles(12kg) 125 to 150thousand,small green bottles(3kg) 15.000.The last one is supposed to be for"poor people only".Most Pertamina gaz depots do not seem to sell the big bottles unless you trade in an old one,forcing you to buy the small ones unless you have one or more of the big ones.
Spare ones are handy as they are always empty at an inconvenient moment.
Any more questions,just ask.
Have a nice stay!

Last edited by a moderator:

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
Thanks for that. There would be no issue using the owner but seems a lot of effort for a property that will only be sublet through Airbnb for 6 months. I was guessing on a max of 50% occupancy so doubt it will be worth the effort. The return was less important than keeping the premises occupied.
Hi, sometimes like in Oz one can get a very bad tenant, it just happens, bonfires in the bedroom, doors ripped off to supply fuel for the fire, . i am just wondering if it does go up, who is responsible? The owner, the lease holder or the sublet tenant. I don't know, Is landlord insurance cheap or available . T.

JohnR

Mar 10, 2018
Would like to make a small contribution. First, to hermit: thanks for info re gas. My driver needs Rp 25k whenever he gets a new small one! No more.

Electricity. Agree broadly with hermit but depends on size of family. Washing machine and ironing push that up to 11/2 or 2jt in our house. Still peanuts compared to the 6.5jt I pay for my house in Jakarta!

Monthly payment to banjar - 100k. Sampah 50k.

Transportation. If you are going to own a car, then running costs and maybe driver salary and allowances. That's about 5jt in my case. If no car, taxis are pretty expensive. Grab and go jek less so but banned in many areas to protect the local taxi business