balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
Since this question comes up so often I decided (after reading @Jimbo suggestion) to copy and paste @matsaleh fantastic post on the cost of living in Bali for a typical family and stick it to the cost of living forum. Note that inflation in Indonesia is quite high and these costs are only going to increase, but hopefully we can adjust the prices mentioned here as they go up.

I'll try to fill in some of the blanks for you. I'll use an exchange rate of Rp8700 to US$1, as that's the rate on the street today.

Housing: This will entirely depend on where you want to live and the type of accommodation you require. For example, a small two bedroom furnished or semi-furnished house in the south of Bali (Seminyak / Kerobokan/ Canggu/ Sanur) will cost a minimum of $6000 per year or $500 per month. If you want a pool, you'll need to add a few thousand per year to that figure. Away from south Bali, rental prices are a good bit cheaper, but of course it will depend on where you're employed.

Food: Again, this will depend on where you like to eat; in local warungs, in cafes or restaurants or at home or a mixture of all three. To live comfortably, maybe going to a cafe two or three times a week and eating at home rest of the week, a family of 3 could comfortably live on say, $500 a month, maybe a bit less.

Internet: Speedy internet connection for unlimited usage with a reasonable speed (supposedly 1 Mbps downstream dan 256 kbps upstream, but I never get anything like those speeds) is Rp645.000 or $75 a month for a family package. Maybe you could get by with a cheaper package. You can check here: Telkom Indihome

Transport: To buy a reasonable second-hand family car (maybe 3 or 4 years old) will set you back approximately Rp100 to 150 million or $12 to 18,000. New car prices start at around Rp200 million. At present, petrol /gasoline is subsidised, so the cost of running a car would be in the vicinity of Rp1.5 to 1.8 million or $175 to 200 a month, including gas and servicing. Again, this will depend on where you live, how far you have to travel to work and how much running around you do. You could also rent a car for around Rp2 million or $225 a month.

Electricity: If you run 2 or 3 air-conditioners for half the day and have hot water showers, a pool filter and energy-saving lighting, your electricity charges would be around Rp300 to 500.000 or $35 to 60 per month. Less if you only use fans for cooling.

Now for the other costs.

Visas:
Unless you and your family are sponsored by a company who will foot the bill for a family Kitas and work permit, you will need to apply for sosial budaya visa from your home country and will then need to extend this every 30 days after the initial 60 days entry visa. The charges for these visas for a family of 3 - approximately Rp1.8 million or just over $200 per month. After 6 months, you will need to leave the country to apply for a new sosial budaya.

Visa runs to Singapore: For a family of 3 - between $700 and 1000 every 6 months for airfares, accommodation and application fee for new sosial budaya.

Schooling for your child? You say you're a family of 3, so I'm assuming you have a child. There's a previous thread which covers the costs of schooling here: schools in bali
and another one here: Searching for a good International School
This will be, by far, your biggest expense.

Banjar (village) & rubbish collection Fees: approximately $10 a month

Donations to your banjar: anywhere between $5 and 20 a month

Pembantu/maid: Rp1 million or $115.00 a month

LPG for your stove/cooker: About $5 to 10 a month

Alcohol: If you like to have a drink, you will find alcohol is very expensive in Indonesia. For example, a bottle of Smirnoff vodka is around Rp400 to 450.000 or $45 to 50. Local vodka is disgusting and smells like benzin! Beer is cheaper, about $3.00 for a large bottle of Bintang. Or, if you're brave you could try the local brew, Arak.

I haven't included any entertaining in the above budget and I've probably forgotten a whole load of other things. Maybe some other members can add their input and correct me if I've over/underestimated any of the above.

Here are a couple of related threads which could also be useful for anyone thinking about moving to Bali:

Last edited:

lcgranger888

Jul 15, 2011
Know this originally became a sticky in 2/10...

Feel like I'm seriously getting set up to price gouged on a 2+2 rental in Ubud. What's the going rate these days in Ubud?? Canggu??

Thanks so much!

lc

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Know this originally became a sticky in 2/10...

Feel like I'm seriously getting set up to price gouged on a 2+2 rental in Ubud. What's the going rate these days in Ubud?? Canggu??

Thanks so much!

lc

In Ubud, you will pay Rp4.5+ million per month, for a one bedroom small house, no pool, and this price doesn't include staff or utilities

lcgranger888

Jul 15, 2011
THANK YOU so much Scout!!

THAT is an entirely reasonable ballpark to work with! I am interested in acquiring a 2+2 + some ac, view, pool optional, washer would be nice, able to connect internet, auto accessible property in Ubud for Rp7 mil/month.

Would appreciate anyone who might be able to assist with that. I've already "released" the realtor I was working with.

lc

Annam

Oct 6, 2011
kerobokan
Hello, I understand perfectly that wine is expensive in Bali, but 'if needed' where is the best place to get it?

:icon_wink:

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
i reckon absolute minimum now for villa in Canggu/Seminyak/Kerobokan (western style, pool, 2-3 bedrooms) is 120 million a year, and most seem to be around 150 million mark and up (I say this because I motorbike past hundreds of signs a day when i take my kids to school).

As for car rental, a brand new Avanca will cost you 3 mill per month, 2.8 mill for an older model.

Annam

Oct 6, 2011
kerobokan
i reckon absolute minimum now for villa in Canggu/Seminyak/Kerobokan (western style, pool, 2-3 bedrooms) is 120 million a year, and most seem to be around 150 million mark and up (I say this because I motorbike past hundreds of signs a day when i take my kids to school).

As for car rental, a brand new Avanca will cost you 3 mill per month, 2.8 mill for an older model.

thanks Phil. I know this answer wasn't for me, but it has really helped me. Would it be furnished adequately at 150 million?

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
yes, absolutely!
and for that price, if you shop around, you should get something very tastefully furnished.
it will also include fridge, washing machine, aircon (of course) LCD TV (maybe)
I know from experience that if you're not in bali it might seem all a bit overwhelming (especially as it's so different to the rent per week model we have in aus/nz) but trust me, once you're here, you'll soon get a handle on it all.

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
Just another tip: there is so much building going on around here at the moment you have to be careful that the lovely rice-paddy you moved in next to does not turn into a noisy, dusty building site the week after you move in. This has happened to a few friends of mine and can really make your life hell.

Annam

Oct 6, 2011
kerobokan
hmmm, that is really good advice so I'd almost be better being next to buildings / houses that don't look like they are about to be torn down!!! Good bye rice paddies!!!

gracez

Dec 12, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
Hi

hello guys i'm very interested of going to Bali the thing is i don't know where exactly i should go :( i wanna live there and learn meditation explore the country. i'm planing to go there early next year preferably Feb month i want to gather information i've been checking onlineand bought some books but since its my first time to travel i have no idea where my destination would be i hope you guys can suggest a place or location where i can begin my journey with? im not choosy though but i prefer cheap places :)

werecoming

Mar 29, 2012
Tasmania
The OP is approaching 3 years. What are peoples thoughts on changes to prices in that period.

OP listed prices (or close to in IDR) in 2011.

Housing - rp 5,000,000 per month (many valiable with location, rooms, pool etc).
Food - rp4,500,00 per month (Eating out cafes 3 times per week. Rest at home)
Internet - Rp645.000
Transport car running cost - Rp1.5 to 1.8 million
Electricity - Rp300 to 500.000 running 20 or 3 aircons
Banjar (village) & rubbish collection Fees: approximately rp 8.700 a month
Donations to your banjar: anywhere between rp45.000 and rp 175.000
Pembantu/maid: Rp1 million per month
LPG for your stove/cooker: About rp45.000 to rp9.000 a month
Alcohol - rp26.000 for a large bottle of Bintang

Has much changed in rp in the last 3 years? I know the exchange rate has but it would be interested to get a local perspective on how much things have changed in rp terms to gauge the real cost changes.

Last edited:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
The OP is approaching 3 years. What are peoples thoughts on changes to prices in that period.

OP listed prices (or close to in IDR) in 2011.

Housing - rp 50,000,000 per month (many valiable with location, rooms, pool etc).
Food - rp4,500,00 per month (Eating out cafes 3 times per week. Rest at home)
Internet - Rp645.000
Transport car running cost - Rp1.5 to 1.8 million
Electricity - Rp300 to 500.000 running 20 or 3 aircons
Banjar (village) & rubbish collection Fees: approximately rp 8.700 a month
Donations to your banjar: anywhere between rp45.000 and rp 175.000
Pembantu/maid: Rp1 million per month
LPG for your stove/cooker: About rp45.000 to rp9.000 a month
Alcohol - rp26.000 for a large bottle of Bintang

Has much changed in rp in the last 3 years? I know the exchange rate has but it would be interested to get a local perspective on how much things have changed in rp terms to gauge the real cost changes.

my housing in 2.5Juta a month prepaid 1 year lease
Banjar fee is 20k a month ,I throw a few rupiah for special celbrations
internet 60k and runs my 3 laptops and phone at home along with friends phone that stop over
bintang is 12k a bottle 330 size not the 600 big bottle
food at roadside warungs and nite markets under 20,000 a person
car expense is about 550,000 for gas monthly ( 2 fill ups ) I have free 2 year insurance and free maintance for 4 years
the lp gas cost me 90,000 and still going 2 months later
elcetric costs me about 400,000 a month with 2 a/c units running about 4 hours a day each
rubbish collection 2--3 times a week is 50,000

when I came here 10 months ago usd was about 9.9 now it is about 12.7