hadodi

Nov 8, 2013
NE Bali
When it comes to corruption, Indonesia has not a very good record. Although there is a lot of corruption going on in this country there are quite some white sheep around. I told the story of honest and honorable immigration staff in Singaraja, Bali, few years ago.

Recently, as a foreigner in this country, I had bad experience with a contractor who finally did not make his job at all, but also did not like to pay back the 50 million deposit I paid him. Finally, the case was handled by Reskrim (criminal investigation department) at Polres Amlapura, Bali. They examined several witnesses, visited our location and, last but not least got the accused to sign a promissory note to pay his debt to me.

All those activities made a lot of demands of the detectives’ time. And when it was done, no “donation”, no “gift” or something like this was asked.
I pay my full respect to the integrity and sense of honour of those civil servants who handled my case. Polres Amlapura – you are a model!

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Good to hear. So has the builder paid up yet? What's the next step if he doesn't pay.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
I would be interested to know if there is a Reskrim Polres office in Ubud or would it be located in Gianyar for the Regency? If anyone knows I would be very happy to learn about it

hadodi

Nov 8, 2013
NE Bali
I would be interested to know if there is a Reskrim Polres office in Ubud or would it be located in Gianyar for the Regency? If anyone knows I would be very happy to learn about it
I just assume NO, but just call POLRES Gianyar and ask

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Recently, as a foreigner in this country, I had bad experience with a contractor who finally did not make his job at all, but also did not like to pay back the 50 million deposit I paid him.

I pay my full respect to the integrity and sense of honour of those civil servants who handled my case. Polres Amlapura – you are a model!

Hadodi that's what I've been saying all along that we lucky few that live here in East (or NE) Bali are a sheltered minority it seems. I've had very little to do with the police here but they've always been helpful and friendly.

Oh and if you need a reputable contractor still let me know, I know of a couple in the area.

hadodi

Nov 8, 2013
NE Bali
Hadodi that's what I've been saying all along that we lucky few that live here in East (or NE) Bali are a sheltered minority it seems. I've had very little to do with the police here but they've always been helpful and friendly.

Oh and if you need a reputable contractor still let me know, I know of a couple in the area.
Thank you Markit. I would really like to meet you sometimes. We do not have real friends here.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I have had several dealings with the police over the years here in in Kuta and have also never had to pay anything. In 19 years I have had only to pay corruption 3 times. Once with the justice when I was extending my social visa. It was a new guy and he made it clear I needed to pay if I wanted him to authorise it. Once at cargo customs in Bali when I was shipping all my personal belongings in. Finally at the Mcd/KFC junction at Jimbaran when I stopped on the zebra crossing. I was going to jump the lights but thought better of it at the last moment. Certainly here in Lombok people are catching on to the fact that they can go to the ombudsman if any government department tries to apply extra charges. I was also impressed last month when getting my son's passport that payment had to be made at BNI rather than at immigration.