alib

Nov 22, 2010
I have finally found a beautiful 3 bedroom furnished house in Sanur for 15.000.000 per year! Guess it pays to know the locals.

Hi, I am considering a contract with Englishtown Bali beginning in Jan 2011. I have some questions I hope you will answer!

I was wondering how you found the experience?
Can you really live decently on their pay? I'm from NYC, not at all high maintenance, but I am worried about finding a decent place to live (small, clean, private, good working facilities ie toilet/sink).

Any other tips for an American female would be appreciated. Thanks!

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Hi, I am considering a contract with Englishtown Bali beginning in Jan 2011. I have some questions I hope you will answer!

Can you really live decently on their pay? I'm from NYC, not at all high maintenance, but I am worried about finding a decent place to live (small, clean, private, good working facilities ie toilet/sink).

Take a look at this forum.

Job Discussion Forums :: View topic - EF Englishtown BALI

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Can you really live decently on their pay?

If the salary quoted on Eslcafe is something to go by, I would say no. You also need to know if they will provide a working visa, which is a must.

I wonder also if they provide accommodation. It's possible to live here on that, but you wouldn't have much of a life. Probably better to work hard in your home country and save some money to have an extended holiday in Bali. If you want to teach English in Asia, China or South Korea are probably better options for being able to work and save some money.

Finx

Dec 4, 2010
Phnom Penh Cambodia

Hi Alib,
I am also looking into one of the positions with Englishtown. From what I gather the wage is not great by EFL teacher standards in Indonesia. However, I have been living in Asia for a while and found it easy to adjust my spending habits. I suppose it depends on your opinion of decent really. My friends in China thought my apartment was lovely and huge whereas my opinion was very different. I lived with one person when they would have shared it with 6 or more. The huge hole in the bedroom wall made it bit nippy in winter... it was colder in the apartment than outside but in the end it became home.

It is so much easier if accommodation is provided but you have little say in the standard. The apartment I found in Cambodia is gorgeous! I'm going to have a look to see if there are any cheap hostels in the area - I stayed in a hostel here whilst I looked for somewhere to live.

Anyway, let me know what you are thinking about the position or if you've found out any useful information.

:icon_smile:

hi there everyone. i'm also considering a position with ef englishtown in denpasar... i'm wondering if the salary they've offered me (7,500,000rupiah for 24 teaching hours) is fair/the norm there & would allow me to live well there. i'm not expecting to be be rich (english teaching/southeast asia doesn't usually work like that...) but don't want to have to be constantly worried about money, would like to be able to afford a decent place to live (don't care if the bed is asian-style but would like a western bathrm/kitchen...), & be able to do a bit of traveling (at least in southeast asia). would also love to hear anyone's experience on how they went about finding an apt there... & would you recommend living in denpasar or is it worth it to live in one of the smaller beachside villages & commute? how do you get around - public transport, car, motorbike, bicycle? if anyone has any further info re ef englishtown, denpasar, etc, i would love to hear from you. thanks! :)

p.s. i'm an experienced english teacher, with experience in asia as well as experience working for EF in miami (but not englishtown).

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
The first question is, are they offering you a working visa? Don't even bother if this is not the case.

A salary of 7.5 million is perhaps enough for a semi-frugal life. It also depends on what kind of place you can find to live.

Do they offer any kind of insurance? That is another thing to consider.

& be able to do a bit of traveling (at least in southeast asia)

Although flights and travel is fairly cheap, don't expect to save from your salary for this. Buying a one year open return ticket is also a good idea, in case you get short of cash and need to leave for some reason.

The first question is, are they offering you a working visa? Don't even bother if this is not the case.

A salary of 7.5 million is perhaps enough for a semi-frugal life. It also depends on what kind of place you can find to live.

Although flights and travel is fairly cheap, don't expect to save from your salary for this. Buying a one year open return ticket is also a good idea, in case you get short of cash and need to leave for some reason.

thanks for the tips spicyayam. visas & insurance are yes. anyone else have any further info? anyone out there currently work for englishtown, denpasar?? thanx. :)

swilleyvanilli

Apr 12, 2011

Did you accept the position? I have also been offered a position at EF/Englishtown Bali beginning in June.

TomYum

Feb 10, 2012
Bali

Here now, on work visa, got some insuranance, not fancy but seems ok, have to check back in about that. I'm working 40 hours a week, about 27 teaching hours, should be making Rp. 7 mill / month and more if I get a bonus.Some teachers here say they hit 10-12 mill a month but put in the extra hours. I think good job for new TEFL people like me :)

krf

Feb 28, 2012
Here now, on work visa, got some insuranance, not fancy but seems ok, have to check back in about that. I'm working 40 hours a week, about 27 teaching hours, should be making Rp. 7 mill / month and more if I get a bonus.Some teachers here say they hit 10-12 mill a month but put in the extra hours. I think good job for new TEFL people like me :)

How are you finding it so far? I just got a contract with Englishtown.

duduanna

Jun 18, 2012
Working for Englishtown Bali!

Hi all
A bit late to offer anything up to the guys who asked before, but just to say I worked for Englishtown Bali in Denpasar over the summer of 2012.The rules and contract are the same for all.35 hours a week teaching time online (7 hours a day over 5 days ) The wage is 6.5million with bonuses for student evaluations and late shifts so you make about 8million without overtime ,more if overtime.They pay you on time and its a modern school with correct admin etc.The hours are pretty tiring but you get used to it.Theres teachers there who have been there a long while and they are happy enough.You are all in the same boat.The students are very nice and dedicated.To get the chance to live and work in Bali for a while Id say go for it.You can definately live on the money if you dont splash out.Food is cheap and you can get a nice western style room/bathroom/kitchen area with aircon,satellite and hot water included for 2.5million a month.Much cheaper if you dont need these luxuries.I was alone so I enjoyed these things.Denpasar is a dirty and polluted city and very busy with traffic.You can live in the suburbs which are greener or near Sanur beach which is the nearest to the school and is 20 minutes by taxi.Or you can rent a motorbike for 500,000 a month and petrol is cheap at the serve yourself roadsides .Helmuts,and International licence a must!Id say go for it if anyone is considering this.Youl make friends and have an experience to boot.You may like it you may not! Its Bali after all!It was good to have lived and worked in Bali!:friendly_wink:

hawtdawg

Jan 29, 2014
Does anyone have any more news or updates about Englishtown Bali, especially the one in Denpasar, since duduanna's post?