Consequences of a divorce in Indonesia

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
Until you are married for 10 years have permanent visa you can't own anything .My self I was lucky to meet my wife outside of Indonesia and dated for over a year we have been married 15 years and live in Bali .
I trust her completely.
But there are thousands of horror stories out there think long and hard .my advice live with her for a while the cultural differences are huge and have one account for yourself in home country n one for Indonesia

Prenup template.
Does anyone have a template or guidelines, I dont want to be fleeced by the Notaris by going in blind. Also, where does it have to be lodged.
Mate Indonesia prenup gives wife ever
Until you are married for 10 years have permanent visa you can't own anything .My self I was lucky to meet my wife outside of Indonesia and dated for over a year we have been married 15 years and live in Bali .
I trust her completely.
But there are thousands of horror stories out there think long and hard .my advice live with her for a while the cultural differences are huge and have one account for yourself in home country n one for Indonesia
If you divorced in Indonesia she will get everything you will walk out with nothing.
As I said after 10 years you can get 50% ownership on land etc

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
I would suggest doing a consultation with a lawyer, so you know where you stand. I believe that Indonesian law gives a 50-50 split of assets in the case of a divorce. Of course the problem arises that foreigners cannot own property in Indonesia, this is the reason why most mixed couples make a pre-nup stating that property in Indonesia is owned by the Indonesian spouse. Of course you can say what you want in the pre-nup within the law, so you can write what will happen with the Indonesian property if you get a divorce, such as selling the assets.

My wife is a lawyer and she has handled many divorces during this period. My feeling is that the judges are fair and reasonable. There is a process of mediation and while you may have heard of many horror stories about foreigners getting taken to the cleaners, if you get the proper legal advice before you make any agreement/commitment then you should be fine.
I don't know where this guy lives in Indonesia but in Bali the community structure has a lot of power and they constantly ignore laws from central government .
The whole thing is designed to benifit Indonesians and strip Foreigners of any rights .
Lawyers are expensive and the court process is long and complicated.
Getting a divorce in Indonesia depending on religion of Indonesian is not so simple as divorce process in western countries

Reactions: JackStraw