Colorbond, steel roofs

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
We are thinking our tiled roof with steel. We have problems every rainy season with leaks.

We fix one leak and then get another the next time there is a heavy rain.

So we are thinking of changing to a steel roof. Colorbond is a popular brand in Australia which is available here, but does anyone know of any other brands available?

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
We are thinking our tiled roof with steel. We have problems every rainy season with leaks.

So we are thinking of changing to a steel roof. Colorbond is a popular brand in Australia which is available here, but does anyone know of any other brands available?

I would be quite curious to know what your current roof consists of in terms of tiles and the general shape of the roof. Would you care to share any photos or am I out of line?

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
I have suggested to mates who are builders here to change ours to colorbond. I get the same answer each time ....noise when it rains and condesation issues.
Dont know about you but i liked our caravaning trips when younger
On a plus side we have had (and prob still do) dry wood termites in the ceiling support beams. We have had a barrier and roof treatment completed however steel supports and tin roof seems very appealig to me then the termites can go hungry..
let me kow how you go as I am keen for the same
cheers

Reactions: spicyayam

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Also, I would imagine anything metal in the tropics is just a nightmare due to the humidity...wouldn't a steel roof rust extremely quick? My friend brought his super titanium alloy or whatever it is called bicycle over from Italy. He had that thing sitting in his attic over there for over 10 years and looked brand new when it came to Bali.

2 years later the thing is all messed up due to the humidity.

If I'm wrong, please let me know. I'm very curious about this topic as well

Populaire

Jun 22, 2011
Bali
www.populaire.com
Hi Spicy,

Colorbond is a sound option, and insulated well, the issue of the sound of rain is negligible. You definitely want to employ their Cliplock (Kliplok) system that ensures the sheets aren’t screwed down. Watch the installers carefully while they’re installing the ridge capping (nok) - as some workers often recklessly cut it. Ask them in advance what they’re planning on doing with the ridge caps - if the pitch is adequate, there’s no need to “notch out” the ridge caps.

It’s not the cheapest option, but done properly it’s a good rooftop system.

Not sure if his number’s changed - but Lukas should be able to provide you with a quote: 0852 31596672. Otherwise you can Google Lysaght Indonesia.

All the best,

Populaire

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Spicyayam Check the overlap of you tiles. I had all the tiles removed, (Tinfoil) ? fitted then made a jig so they put the battens & tiles on with the correct gap, had to put 3 extra rows of tiles on. no leaks

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Spicyayam Check the overlap of you tiles. I had all the tiles removed, (Tinfoil) ? fitted then made a jig so they put the battens & tiles on with the correct gap, had to put 3 extra rows of tiles on. no leaks

Yes, that was what the tukang was saying today who checked our roof. My wife seems to think changing to steel will solve all the problems we are having.

Reactions: Markit

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
The only way to fix a tile roof in Indonesia is to pull up all the tiles and start again. Put a layer of Sarking(about 1 mill a roll) down with a good overlap, space the battens correctly and you will never have anymore leaks. I would stick with tiles

Populaire

Jun 22, 2011
Bali
www.populaire.com
The only way to fix a tile roof in Indonesia is to pull up all the tiles and start again. Put a layer of Sarking(about 1 mill a roll) down with a good overlap, space the battens correctly and you will never have anymore leaks. I would stick with tiles

Agree with Fred, where tiles are possible, definitely a better option.

All the best,

Populaire

Nathan

May 15, 2016
10+ years of dealing with a dodgy pejaten tile roof in Bali. I have tiles from probably 100+ different manufacturers, slightly different sizes and warps, if you dare step on one wrong, it cracks and breaks, oh what a nightmare. I basically do not allow any tukangs to get on the roof if not an emergency as they will crack tiles and not know or not say anything, I just go up myself and spider walk around the roof fixing things. Have had minimal leaks last 3-4 years, but it is a house of cards up there. Without a shadow of a doubt, if you go tiles:
  • they must be strong (you should be able to stand on them, put one on the ground and get a 70kg+ adult to stand on it), this is a problem with the locally made ones around Bali, they are thin and brittle, I would even consider those bigger glazed ones or possibly concrete ones from a known brand.
  • they should be uniform (machine pressed and conform to a standard shape, not an approximate shape with warps etc.), again, locally made in Bali are all over the place, even those from the same factory. I can't even get my style anymore, I managed to find a few hundred from some guy replacing his roof to get me by for a while. Just get something uniform that locks together really well and buy spares.
  • as mentioned, then it is all up to how well they are installed, batten spacing, warps in your existing roof structure, how the ridges and valleys are done. Just get a good guy to do it, that may be one of you biggest challenges, how do you know the guy is any good? Have you seen their roof work? Would you know if it is any good even if you did? Do you like getting up on the roof and checking? If not, you are blind to what is going on up there anyway.
  • For me, I would think about using baja ringan battens as they seem to be the first thing to get attacked by dry wood termites, I did that on one part of my roof, it works well. Or at least choose better batten wood, do not let them use the cheapest nasty yellow wood.

Reactions: JackStraw

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I can't recognise your description in roofing tiles at all. I bought mine during the build from several different suppliers due mainly to price and have bought replacement tiles over the years again from different suppliers. I've never, ever had a leak and most of the tiles are almost 14 years old. Falling coconuts/leaves have been the only problem.

Reactions: Fred2

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
Also, I would imagine anything metal in the tropics is just a nightmare due to the humidity...wouldn't a steel roof rust extremely quick? My friend brought his super titanium alloy or whatever it is called bicycle over from Italy. He had that thing sitting in his attic over there for over 10 years and looked brand new when it came to Bali.

2 years later the thing is all messed up due to the humidity.

If I'm wrong, please let me know. I'm very curious about this topic as well

I lived in Darwin, northern Australia, for many years, a few degrees south of Bali's latitude, probably hotter and more humid, and steel roofs were the only roofs when I lived there, tiles being too susceptible to lifting in high winds, and it was a cyclone/typhoon zone.

I think you could comfortably expect 25+ years from a colourbond, or zincalume, roof in Bali.

If the pitch is too low, tiles are a real problem, particularly in high winds capable of driving rain up under them, but with sarking, even that shouldn't be a problem, and Bali doesn't get high winds, being in the doldrums, close to the equator.

Shivamsharmahr87

Mar 30, 2022

It would be long-lasting if you buy quality tile. a durable tiled roof with steel that stands up against rain, ice, wind, fire, pests, and foot traffic without short- or long-term damage, limiting maintenance and repairs and ensuring the roof’s longevity. Moreover, roofing shingles with extra protection against extreme weather events may lower your insurance rates. if you have a quality roof then you will not face any problems. I also suggest that if you want to buy quality tiles for your home which do not have any defects. I would suggest the company from where I bought that tiles.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It would be long-lasting if you buy quality tile. a durable tiled roof with steel that stands up against rain, ice, wind, fire, pests, and foot traffic without short- or long-term damage, limiting maintenance and repairs and ensuring the roof’s longevity. Moreover, roofing shingles with extra protection against extreme weather events may lower your insurance rates. if you have a quality roof then you will not face any problems. I also suggest that if you want to buy quality tiles for your home which do not have any defects. I would suggest the company from where I bought that tiles.
Relax boy! Ain't nobody buying nothing here so just go to the fridge and get yourself a long cold one and join the discussion - sales aint the thing here.

Reactions: gtrken
Sep 19, 2021

So we are thinking of changing to a steel roof repair washington dc. Colorbond is a popular brand in Australia which is available here, but does anyone know of any other brands available?
I had a leaking roof repaired a couple of weeks ago by what I thought was a reputable company. He has replaced a funny vally which he made up on site out of flat sheet. When they put the roof sheet back down they have put the screws thru the top end of the vally. He has told me that the screws were coated with silicone first and that this is pretty normal practice I am also concerned about the join where the vally and the roof join (See Pic) Is this normal practice with them? I am concened that the silicone will break down over time and I am back to square one. He did charge me a heap to do the job and now won't give me a reciept.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I had a leaking roof repaired a couple of weeks ago by what I thought was a reputable company. He has replaced a funny vally which he made up on site out of flat sheet. When they put the roof sheet back down they have put the screws thru the top end of the vally. He has told me that the screws were coated with silicone first and that this is pretty normal practice I am also concerned about the join where the vally and the roof join (See Pic) Is this normal practice with them? I am concened that the silicone will break down over time and I am back to square one. He did charge me a heap to do the job and now won't give me a reciept.
Pictures? No reciept? silicon? funny vally (sp)? reputable company? More questions than answers...

Reactions: Fred2