Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Wow, great post! Clearly Bali is the only place on the planet that grows coconuts. Pity they almost solely rely on the wonderful palm oil to cook their food and flatten their forests. Nice way to slide in the pointless first line, which was the only reason for the posting, anyway. Nice work Merkin, you da man!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Oh you are truly a stupid man Adam!

My point in the post went completely over your tiny pointed head - namely, because much of the cooking goes on here with palm oil I thought it might be good to point out to the other people that frequent this forum with the point of informing themselves about Bali (as opposed to people like you who only come here to try and retain some nebulous connection to the island you initially got from marrying your dishwasher and display your small mindedness at every posting) that there is a healthy alternative.

I wasn't aware of this until fairly recently when my guy brought a bottle of green tinged oil in a aqua bottle for the princely sum of 20k Rupiah. Best kept in the fridge for longevity. Food tastes grand cooked with it and all salads are given an extra special zest.

Reactions: RossM

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Local Coconut oil is only available to the locals and as far as I can find not on offer in shops or warung.

Why this might be is a mystery to me?

moondogy

Aug 22, 2012
Nusa Dua
I'm pretty sure I've seen it in 1 litre bottles (maybe 500Ml) at Carrefor..right at the very end of their oil section.....or maybe at Nirmala, Jimbaran. But one of the supermarkets sell it in a very ordinary bottle and its cheap cheap. However, what amazes me is that I cant find reasonably prices dessicated coconut here already done and packaged.....we go to the local market, get the lady to cut open a coconut and grate it up for us, bring it home and dry it in the sun or in the oven and then its ready to use.
But sometimes Im out of it and in a hurry and dont have the time to do all this! I know Dijon package it up, but its mahal mahal compared to Australia.....cant understand it! Has anyone seen dessicated/dried and shredded coconut in a supermarket here? Yes coconut oil is the GO...David Jones's fashion icon...Miranda Kerr, has been banging on about it for at least 5 years..maybe more. Think she has shares/ or owns a Coconut Oil Company!!!

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
14,000 for a small Aqua bottle in Singaraja. The stuff you buy in markets is homemade and I am sure has more of the proclaimed health benefits than the processed coconut oil you buy in Carrefour. My wife made it once and it tasted the same as what you get in the market.

moondogy

Aug 22, 2012
Nusa Dua
Ok....so I found some in Pepitos of all places.....its not what I remember seeing a few weeks ago, as this is in a 950ml see through pouch ....called Ikan Dorang Minyak Goreng and underneath it shows composition as Minyak Kelapa.....cost about 29,000 rps....and Pepitos are always expensive, so guess elsewhere it would be sedikit murah. Made in Surabaya by Pt. Ikan Dorang. Says on the label it is also easy to freeze if you want to keep some extra on hand. Goes on about good for heart disease and no cholesterol...we are going to give it a go. Stay tuned!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If you don't keep it in the fridge it will go off fairly quickly but I put half in the fridge and froze the other half. It lasted for a good 3 months and is great for curries, pisang goreng and not at all bad for putting on dry skin. I've already mentioned salads and dressing. Let us know what else you find it good for.

moondogy

Aug 22, 2012
Nusa Dua
Ok, stay tuned..... well I also saw it in Giant Supermarket in Kuta today about 27,000 rps but they had 5 litre packs as well. Do u do all your frying in it...as in ayam, lumpia, gyoza etc.... Our 2 pembantu's are from Sumba and they tell me that's all they use in Sumba to cooking with...ofcourse there it's free.....they make your own! Think they also give their hair a dose of it once in a while......as in a bath of oil to make it shine.
We have 3 daughters and they buy it in Melb/Syd for their skin and to drink and whatever else...and I think they pay a fortune for it.....wonder if quarantine in Aust would let it through...they/we could take some home!

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
Carrefour and Hypermart use to stock it as well, that's where we buy it. More expensive than the 'normal' cooking oil. Brandname is as already mentioned Ikan Dorang (minyak kelapa).
Yes we use it for everything cooking, salads and frying.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
There is a coconut flavor in the local stuff but we actually like that as I only use it for what I've said above. Haven't tried it with fries but probably will when the other stuff runs out.

When it's fresh (and liquid) you can pour it into an ice tray and put in the fridge to go solid and have it in nice portions that aren't greasy or oily.

ZoomBali

Mar 28, 2016
Denpasar, Bali
www.zoombali.com
Viva Coconut in Bali! Not only good for health but SOOO GOOD to drink with some gula (sugar) at a food stall practically everywhere and it's cheap :) Bali is amazing for its variety of fruits again it's a dream come true, good food, beautiful women, amazing Hindu culture, I love Bali!