davita

Mar 13, 2012
As the title suggests CNN have recently opened a station in Jakarta. I often click to it as some interviews/programs are conducted in English, even tho' the subject is local. Tonight was no exception as I watched some of an interview with Richard Quest. He can be quite annoying but no-one can deny his knowledge, and ability to simplify complicated business, aviation and travel issues.
He was asked what was his biggest highlight and he said he was on the last Concorde flight and how he thought aviation should have developed supersonic flight. He opined not since the Wright brothers has the industry taken a step backwards until then.
This has always been my theory as well....the Concorde was designed in the fifties and not one development took place. The aviation industry seemed to be blind to the future and why we public are still flying at the speed we've been flying for 60 years. I first flew on the RAF VC10 in the '60s at Mach 0.88. Also, the Convair 990 cruised at mach 0.92...both faster than today's Airbus 380 and Boeing 747.

I'm sure the interview will be repeated and I'd like to see from the beginning ...if anyone has know-how on CNN Indonesia programming I'd appreciate a heads-up...Thanks.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
I think it's a fuel efficiency type of thing is where they have made inroads.
The 787-9 will be able to do Australia to London non stop 18hours in a couple of years now that's progress

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I think it's a fuel efficiency type of thing is where they have made inroads.
The 787-9 will be able to do Australia to London non stop 18hours in a couple of years now that's progress

You are correct that fuel efficiency, engine and aerodynamics have all been developed but commercial aircraft now travel slower than they did 40-50 years ago.

The point is that supersonic commercial aviation hasn't even been looked at for any real development and that was the gist of Richard Quest's interview on CNN Indoneisa..... and my argument in many pubs.

It isn't 'real' progress that the B787 or B777 or A350 have extended range.

A Qantas B747-400 did London to Sydney in 20 hours in 1989...that's 26 years ago and the A/C has since been retired...not surprising....The Qantas plane that flew London to Sydney, non-stop | Stuff.co.nz

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
You are correct that fuel efficiency, engine and aerodynamics have all been developed but commercial aircraft now travel slower than they did 40-50 years ago.

The point is that supersonic commercial aviation hasn't even been looked at for any real development and that was the gist of Richard Quest's interview on CNN Indoneisa..... and my argument in many pubs.

It isn't 'real' progress that the B787 or B777 or A350 have extended range.

A Qantas B747-400 did London to Sydney in 20 hours in 1989...that's 26 years ago and the A/C has since been retired...not surprising....The Qantas plane that flew London to Sydney, non-stop | Stuff.co.nz

I bow to your superior knowledge
However will mention the 747 only had 23 people on board including crew, it couldn't make it if passengers and luggage
but do agree planes don't go faster, probably uneconomical, remember if there not a dollar in it they wont do it

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I bow to your superior knowledge
However will mention the 747 only had 23 people on board including crew, it couldn't make it if passengers and luggage
but do agree planes don't go faster, probably uneconomical, remember if there not a dollar in it they wont do it

All true...and the Qantas trip was an advertising stunt. Nevertheless, enterprise, industry and governments has never curtailed development since the days of sailing ships, except in this one area of supersonic transportation.
IMO it was because the USA cancelled it's SST project in 1971 and thus was un-competative and not co-operative....which undermined the European project for any future development.

There is a motto...'build it and they will come'.....I'm just not sure when.